Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Highlighted
Posted Jun 7, 2010
12:14:08 PM
Using webmail to retreive external work email pop account

Before i begin, let me say that I have been using this ATT.net email main and sub account since 1997when it was att.worldnet.net .. and continued paying for my att.net webmail services simply because I love the feature  eventhough there are many free webmail services like yahoo/hotmail available.. To indicate how much I like att.net webmail service, I even continued Dialup to DSL through ATT for the last 13 years .   I can't never fanthom using  free webmail services caused it was never designed for us email user but rather to the company interest of advertising and client data exposure .  

All this changed when I realised I was given the ultimatum to switch or lose account by the  Mar 31st 2010 dateline.   It has a total inconvience ever since . Nothing seems to work remotely close to how it was originally setup .  Forcing users to migrate to a service which is totally impossible to use effectively .   I am seriously considering alternatives now if I can't resolve this issue. .

I work out of office quite a bit so using att.net webmail services to retreive my external work email pop account was a plus feature that I paid for .  Now with the migration , I can't even get it to do anything before an error msg that level2 test support was unable to assist further with a solution

Could someone from ATT expert forum provide a solution to this error msg

POP server does not support LAST command. You may only retrieve POP mail from this server using "get all messages".

thanks,

Before i begin, let me say that I have been using this ATT.net email main and sub account since 1997when it was att.worldnet.net .. and continued paying for my att.net webmail services simply because I love the feature  eventhough there are many free webmail services like yahoo/hotmail available.. To indicate how much I like att.net webmail service, I even continued Dialup to DSL through ATT for the last 13 years .   I can't never fanthom using  free webmail services caused it was never designed for us email user but rather to the company interest of advertising and client data exposure .  

All this changed when I realised I was given the ultimatum to switch or lose account by the  Mar 31st 2010 dateline.   It has a total inconvience ever since . Nothing seems to work remotely close to how it was originally setup .  Forcing users to migrate to a service which is totally impossible to use effectively .   I am seriously considering alternatives now if I can't resolve this issue. .

I work out of office quite a bit so using att.net webmail services to retreive my external work email pop account was a plus feature that I paid for .  Now with the migration , I can't even get it to do anything before an error msg that level2 test support was unable to assist further with a solution

Could someone from ATT expert forum provide a solution to this error msg

POP server does not support LAST command. You may only retrieve POP mail from this server using "get all messages".

thanks,

Using webmail to retreive external work email pop account

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2010 12:25:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

I want to add the above error msg occurs when I used classic view to retrieve  external email

When I switch to NEW ATT mail view , the error msg changes to

The following error occurred when fetching your external mail: lastUnsupported

please advise how do you set up . It was done successfully before the migration . There was no changes to my work mail server set up .. so it has to come from Yahoo server block

I want to add the above error msg occurs when I used classic view to retrieve  external email

When I switch to NEW ATT mail view , the error msg changes to

The following error occurred when fetching your external mail: lastUnsupported

please advise how do you set up . It was done successfully before the migration . There was no changes to my work mail server set up .. so it has to come from Yahoo server block

Re: Using webmail to retreive external work email pop account

2 of 5 (604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2010 4:08:59 AM
(0)
Employee
Hello sushigal,

There are several reasons why you may be unable to retrieve messages from an email account you have with a different provider using AT&T Mail.

Make sure that you have entered the correct information when configuring your external mail settings. If you have not entered the correct mail server address, port number, or user name and password for that account, AT&T Mail will not be able to retrieve your external mail messages.

Make sure that there are messages waiting on the external mail server. If you use an email program which deletes messages from the server, there may not be any messages to download.

The server you're attempting to contact may be behind a firewall. A firewall is a combination of hardware and software that protects a network's security. If a firewall is preventing you from accessing external mail, it is unlikely that the network administrator will be able to make changes to give you access to your account.

There may be problems on your local network or your external mail server. If you have recently begun having problems and have not changed your settings, you may want to contact your ISP or your external mail server's administrator.

The following is a list of external mail providers which have limited POP access. If your provider is not mentioned here, please contact your ISP or network administrator for further information.

AOL uses a proprietary email system which does not support POP access. This means that you will not be able to retrieve messages from an AOL account through external Mail.

RocketMail does not offer POP access, so it is not possible to retrieve messages on this system through external mail.

Hotmail offers POP access on a for-fee basis. If you have registered for this premium service, you should have received detailed information regarding server settings. Questions regarding Hotmail's service should be sent directly to its support staff.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Hello sushigal,

There are several reasons why you may be unable to retrieve messages from an email account you have with a different provider using AT&T Mail.

Make sure that you have entered the correct information when configuring your external mail settings. If you have not entered the correct mail server address, port number, or user name and password for that account, AT&T Mail will not be able to retrieve your external mail messages.

Make sure that there are messages waiting on the external mail server. If you use an email program which deletes messages from the server, there may not be any messages to download.

The server you're attempting to contact may be behind a firewall. A firewall is a combination of hardware and software that protects a network's security. If a firewall is preventing you from accessing external mail, it is unlikely that the network administrator will be able to make changes to give you access to your account.

There may be problems on your local network or your external mail server. If you have recently begun having problems and have not changed your settings, you may want to contact your ISP or your external mail server's administrator.

The following is a list of external mail providers which have limited POP access. If your provider is not mentioned here, please contact your ISP or network administrator for further information.

AOL uses a proprietary email system which does not support POP access. This means that you will not be able to retrieve messages from an AOL account through external Mail.

RocketMail does not offer POP access, so it is not possible to retrieve messages on this system through external mail.

Hotmail offers POP access on a for-fee basis. If you have registered for this premium service, you should have received detailed information regarding server settings. Questions regarding Hotmail's service should be sent directly to its support staff.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 5 (604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 5:57:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am suffering the same as you are, sushigal.  For years I have used my.att.net to view my POP email accounts throughout the day and then download them into Outlook when I got home.  Even after abandoning dial up I kept the account because I was satisfied with the way the my.att.net email client let me look at my POP accounts with just my one login.

To get the POP working with the new yahoo based email client I had to go to the "Show advanced options" and uncheck the "Retrieve new messages only" .  After doing that it worked terrible.  Instead of logging you into to POP email account it downloads all the POP messages to my att.net account.  When I checked for messages later on it again downloaded copies of the same messages to my att.net account.  So by the end of the day I had multiple copies of thes POP messages clogging up my att.net account.  I suppose I could uncheck the "Leave mail on POP server" box but I don't want these messages mixing into my personal account.

Another awlful feature is that the links to the POP accounts use the server name and not the email name.  Since I have multiple accounts on the same POP server, I have to use the color setting to distiguish them.  Why did they make the program this way?

I did discover that I had an existing att,net email account that was not ported over the new client yet.  I was able to use it to view my POP accounts and my main att.net account but I understand that will only be good for another week or so. At least it buys me time to search for a new email client application.

I am suffering the same as you are, sushigal.  For years I have used my.att.net to view my POP email accounts throughout the day and then download them into Outlook when I got home.  Even after abandoning dial up I kept the account because I was satisfied with the way the my.att.net email client let me look at my POP accounts with just my one login.

To get the POP working with the new yahoo based email client I had to go to the "Show advanced options" and uncheck the "Retrieve new messages only" .  After doing that it worked terrible.  Instead of logging you into to POP email account it downloads all the POP messages to my att.net account.  When I checked for messages later on it again downloaded copies of the same messages to my att.net account.  So by the end of the day I had multiple copies of thes POP messages clogging up my att.net account.  I suppose I could uncheck the "Leave mail on POP server" box but I don't want these messages mixing into my personal account.

Another awlful feature is that the links to the POP accounts use the server name and not the email name.  Since I have multiple accounts on the same POP server, I have to use the color setting to distiguish them.  Why did they make the program this way?

I did discover that I had an existing att,net email account that was not ported over the new client yet.  I was able to use it to view my POP accounts and my main att.net account but I understand that will only be good for another week or so. At least it buys me time to search for a new email client application.

4 of 5 (604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2010 8:28:52 AM
(0)
Employee

Hello soundroom,

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

I would like to inform you that you need to check the option ‘Leave a copy of messages on server’ in your e-mail client (Outlook). This will provide you the option to access your web mail account by logging into http://att.yahoo.com/mail and you can access the same e-mails using your e-mail client.

If you are getting the multiple copies of the e-mail, then the e-mail settings in your e-mail account is not correct or some of the files/components of your e-mail client are not responding properly. You need to re-configure your e-mail in your e-mail client or re-install/repair e-mail client to resolve this issue.

There is an option to change the account name from the default to your name in your e-mail client. Please go through the following steps mentioned below to change the name.

1. Open Outlook
  2. Click Tools
  3. Click Account Settings
  4. Select your AT&T e-mail account and click on Change
  5. Change the name in the ‘Your Name’ field.
  6. Click Next.
  7. Click OK.

Moreover, you can refer the steps using the web link mentioned below to configure the e-mail account in Outlook.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401573&ct=9000039

If you still experience the issue of receiving multiple copies of e-mail, then you need to re-install the e-mail client or you can use any other e-mail client like Windows Mail or Outlook Express. This will fix this issue.

If the issue persists, it is recommended that you contact AT&T Technical voice help desk 1-877-722-3755 open 24/7.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Hello soundroom,

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

I would like to inform you that you need to check the option ‘Leave a copy of messages on server’ in your e-mail client (Outlook). This will provide you the option to access your web mail account by logging into http://att.yahoo.com/mail and you can access the same e-mails using your e-mail client.

If you are getting the multiple copies of the e-mail, then the e-mail settings in your e-mail account is not correct or some of the files/components of your e-mail client are not responding properly. You need to re-configure your e-mail in your e-mail client or re-install/repair e-mail client to resolve this issue.

There is an option to change the account name from the default to your name in your e-mail client. Please go through the following steps mentioned below to change the name.

1. Open Outlook
  2. Click Tools
  3. Click Account Settings
  4. Select your AT&T e-mail account and click on Change
  5. Change the name in the ‘Your Name’ field.
  6. Click Next.
  7. Click OK.

Moreover, you can refer the steps using the web link mentioned below to configure the e-mail account in Outlook.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401573&ct=9000039

If you still experience the issue of receiving multiple copies of e-mail, then you need to re-install the e-mail client or you can use any other e-mail client like Windows Mail or Outlook Express. This will fix this issue.

If the issue persists, it is recommended that you contact AT&T Technical voice help desk 1-877-722-3755 open 24/7.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 5 (604 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments