Using SS 5100 and I need a good WIRED router

Using SS 5100 and I need a good WIRED router

Hello new to this used Belkin Wireless for two years or so nice to be able to walk around the house w/ two connected laptops. However, the router needed to be re-booted a lot, connection and download speeds were too variable, and I've gone thru two because they die. also stupid encryption anxiety. Our fine city taxes us to death, but alas no free wi-fi (can the next president run on this platform?) and so we pay we pay we pay the com companies. Am I wrong to assume that a wired version is more reliable, dependable, and secure? or do their power adapters and units have a roughly 1.5 year life span also? I'm ready to shell out more money to At&T Please advise as to the best most reliable wired router for the SPEEDSTREAM 5100.
Message 1 of 14 (1,158 Views)
Guru

Re: Using SS 5100 and I need a good WIRED router

it's true that a direct (wired) connection to the modem or to a router is more reliable than going wireless. there are a lot of possible devices around us that may interfere with the wireless signal.

for the equipment, i guess they should at least have 4-5 years life span. for a router, i recommend linksys or d-link. does your ss5100 modem have a total of 5 lights on it?

Message 2 of 14 (1,158 Views)

yes five lights power ethernet dsl internet activity
Message 3 of 14 (1,158 Views)
Guru

whenever you're online, is the INTERNET light on the modem solid green? if so, then it's not on bridge mode.

both the SS5100B and Belkin devices are smart and can connect you thru PPPoE (username and password). sometimes, if PPPoE on both devices are enabled, it may cause an unsteady internet connection. you may try:

1. putting SS5100B on bridge mode + Belkin on PPPoE

OR

2. SS5100B on PPPoE + Belkin on DHCP

this way, only one of them handles the authentication and connects you to the internet.

Message 4 of 14 (1,158 Views)

yes it's solid green I haven't yet bought the router so I'm not so sure of the PPPOOO stuff that you're talking about. So I should purchase a LINKSYS or D-LINK? Any particular model?
Message 5 of 14 (1,158 Views)
Guru

if you still want to use the SS5100B as your modem, you need a plain DSL router. you may get Linksys WRT54G (wireless with ethernet connection) or an upgrade...

you can also get the 2Wire 2701HG-B gateway device. it's a modem and a router at the same time (wireless and ethernet capable). i think it will be better if you get this one so you can always get free tech assistance from AT&T since they support this product. you no longer need the SS5100B if you get the 2Wire gateway.

Message 6 of 14 (1,158 Views)
Employee

Hello cklaus85276

I truly appreciate that you took your valuable time to let us know that you are experiencing issue while selecting between wireless and wired modem/router.

I would like to mention that AT&T  provides such modems, which contains the functionality of wireless router also. Few of those are mentioned below:
2 Wire 2701 HG, 2 Wire 2701 HG-B, Motorola Netopia 3347.

Hence, there will be no hassle of connecting modem and router separately with so many cables all around, moreover if you'll experience any difficulty with these (AT&T provided) modem/router,  you can contact AT&T technical support for further assistance.

You may select any of the modem gateway provided by AT&T and use wire and wireless connection, depending on your requirements.
In order to get more information about the same, it is recommended that you contact the AT&T eChat helpdesk.

If you are in 'AR, CA, CT, IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NV, OH, OK, TX, & WI', please use the link mentioned below to contact AT&T eChat support:

https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 14 (1,158 Views)

Thanks to you all. I will see what happens. So the 2-wire device is called so because you can stick three wires in it; one phone line and two ethernet. Great. That looks good to me.
Message 8 of 14 (1,158 Views)
Highlighted
Guru

this is what the 2wire 2701HG-B looks like:

it has 2 ports for --> power adapter and phone/data cable

then it has an additional of 4 ethernet ports, so you can plug in upto 4 computers to the 2Wire. if you have devices like PSP, iPhone, laptops etc., you can set them up to work on wireless with the 2Wire.

Message 9 of 14 (1,158 Views)

thanks is it a micro-center item or AT&T proprietary?
Message 10 of 14 (1,158 Views)
Guru

you could get this item from AT&T or any other stores. i believe they sell this 2Wire on walmart, best buy, circuit city and radio shack.

Message 11 of 14 (553 Views)

the two wire seems pricey and has mixed reviews. it seems to have more than i want ie I don't really want wireless will either of these do? which might you recommend? http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-EtherFast-Router-4-Port-BEFSR41/dp/B00004SB92/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=ele... http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-RP614-Router-4-Port-Switch/dp/B00006B9H9/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electron... Thanks
Message 12 of 14 (553 Views)
Guru

both will work well with your SS5100B modem. i'd pick the Netgear since it's cheaper. both almost have the same features/specs (specifications).

Message 13 of 14 (553 Views)
Mentor

cklaus85276 wrote:
the two wire seems pricey and has mixed reviews. it seems to have more than i want ie I don't really want wireless will either of these do? which might you recommend? http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-EtherFast-Router-4-Port-BEFSR41/dp/B00004SB92/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=ele... http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-RP614-Router-4-Port-Switch/dp/B00006B9H9/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electron... Thanks
Hi cklaus85276 ! For me if you don't want the 2wire modem you may select a netopia 3347 or a linksys. They are one of the best
Message 14 of 14 (553 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.