Unable to install MacAfee

Tutor

Unable to install MacAfee

When I try to install the MacAfee Security software on my laptop running Win2K, it won't go because a message comes up that says I have a CA anti virus program that is not compatible with MacAfee. The problem is I have NEVER had such an anti virus program on my computer by Computer Associates. Even when I go to the website that supposedly helps me uninstall the program I don't have, it soes not work. How can I get around this? Something is evidently telling the pre-install program that checks for incompatibilities that I have something that i don't.
Message 1 of 8
Guru

Re: Unable to install MacAfee

try running the removal tools provided in one of the threads here. then restart the computer. see if it might remove any ghost software from your computer.
Message 2 of 8
Guru

Message 3 of 8
Tutor

I am aware of these two links. However, as I stated in my post, I have never ever had a Norton product nor a mcAfee product installed on this laptop. Any other ideas?
Message 4 of 8
Guru

i tried to look up "CA Removal Tool" on google, but i just got lost with a lot of links.

sorry. :smileysad:
Message 5 of 8
Mentor

hi jtc1455! there might some ghost profiles of CA antivirus in your computer. AT&T had actually provided the CA antivirus prior to Norton. you might have installed it through your AT&T installation disk when you first got your service. You can try to boot your computer on safe mode and remove the CA antivirus profile on it. If you will not be able to find it while you are on safe mode, you can try to find it on your computer's registry or let a computer expert do this for you.

make sure that you also have at least win2k SP4(service pack 4) before installing the mcafee from AT&T.

Message 6 of 8
Employee

Another thing is you might need a registry cleaner as well. CCleaner is a good one and could probably fix the bad entries that might keep you from installing another antivirus.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Contributor

Message 8 of 8
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Did you know the AT&T Community forums has the answers you need to solve most service woes? Check out our How To Forum article. You will learn how to find your answer!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues. We highly recommend chatting with our teams to address this as quickly as possible.

Additional Support