Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Aug 28, 2009
9:06:33 AM
View profile
Unable to install MacAfee
When I try to install the MacAfee Security software on my laptop running Win2K, it won't go because a message comes up that says I have a CA anti virus program that is not compatible with MacAfee. The problem is I have NEVER had such an anti virus program on my computer by Computer Associates. Even when I go to the website that supposedly helps me uninstall the program I don't have, it soes not work. How can I get around this? Something is evidently telling the pre-install program that checks for incompatibilities that I have something that i don't.
When I try to install the MacAfee Security software on my laptop running Win2K, it won't go because a message comes up that says I have a CA anti virus program that is not compatible with MacAfee. The problem is I have NEVER had such an anti virus program on my computer by Computer Associates. Even when I go to the website that supposedly helps me uninstall the program I don't have, it soes not work. How can I get around this? Something is evidently telling the pre-install program that checks for incompatibilities that I have something that i don't.

Unable to install MacAfee

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2009 6:36:38 PM
(0)
Guru
try running the removal tools provided in one of the threads here. then restart the computer. see if it might remove any ghost software from your computer.
try running the removal tools provided in one of the threads here. then restart the computer. see if it might remove any ghost software from your computer.

Re: Unable to install MacAfee

2 of 8 (582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

3 of 8 (582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2009 9:21:10 PM
(0)
Tutor
I am aware of these two links. However, as I stated in my post, I have never ever had a Norton product nor a mcAfee product installed on this laptop. Any other ideas?
I am aware of these two links. However, as I stated in my post, I have never ever had a Norton product nor a mcAfee product installed on this laptop. Any other ideas?

4 of 8 (582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2009 3:36:41 PM
(0)
Guru
i tried to look up "CA Removal Tool" on google, but i just got lost with a lot of links.

sorry. :smileysad:
i tried to look up "CA Removal Tool" on google, but i just got lost with a lot of links.

sorry. :smileysad:

5 of 8 (582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2009 11:49:50 AM
(0)
Mentor

hi jtc1455! there might some ghost profiles of CA antivirus in your computer. AT&T had actually provided the CA antivirus prior to Norton. you might have installed it through your AT&T installation disk when you first got your service. You can try to boot your computer on safe mode and remove the CA antivirus profile on it. If you will not be able to find it while you are on safe mode, you can try to find it on your computer's registry or let a computer expert do this for you.

make sure that you also have at least win2k SP4(service pack 4) before installing the mcafee from AT&T.

hi jtc1455! there might some ghost profiles of CA antivirus in your computer. AT&T had actually provided the CA antivirus prior to Norton. you might have installed it through your AT&T installation disk when you first got your service. You can try to boot your computer on safe mode and remove the CA antivirus profile on it. If you will not be able to find it while you are on safe mode, you can try to find it on your computer's registry or let a computer expert do this for you.

make sure that you also have at least win2k SP4(service pack 4) before installing the mcafee from AT&T.

6 of 8 (582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2009 5:08:48 PM
(0)
Employee
Another thing is you might need a registry cleaner as well. CCleaner is a good one and could probably fix the bad entries that might keep you from installing another antivirus.
Another thing is you might need a registry cleaner as well. CCleaner is a good one and could probably fix the bad entries that might keep you from installing another antivirus.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 8 (582 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2009 12:12:20 PM
(0)
Contributor

8 of 8 (582 Views)
Advanced