U-Verse gateway + Apple Airport Extreme?

Teacher

U-Verse gateway + Apple Airport Extreme?

OK - I now have ADSL service (6mbps) and my kids are killing the internet bandwidth.  Would like to upgrade to U-Verse, but need to retain my Apple 802.11n router and repeater setup.  We have a large house and this is the only wireless solution (of several that we tried over the years) that has reliably worked and provides the range we need.  I'm really not interested in starting over on the router/wireless side of things.  It's configurable for the access limitations we need to define and is completely bulletproof.

Here's the question:  Can the U-Verse hardware be installed such that the AT&T gateway functions only as the modem, and hands off router functions (including DHCP, ethernet and wireless) to the Apple router?  This is an internet-only install...no TV or voice.

Tom

Message 1 of 2 (1,524 Views)
Highlighted

Re: U-Verse gateway + Apple Airport Extreme?

tewatson wrote:

OK - I now have ADSL service (6mbps) and my kids are killing the internet bandwidth.  Would like to upgrade to U-Verse, but need to retain my Apple 802.11n router and repeater setup.  We have a large house and this is the only wireless solution (of several that we tried over the years) that has reliably worked and provides the range we need.  I'm really not interested in starting over on the router/wireless side of things.  It's configurable for the access limitations we need to define and is completely bulletproof.

Here's the question:  Can the U-Verse hardware be installed such that the AT&T gateway functions only as the modem, and hands off router functions (including DHCP, ethernet and wireless) to the Apple router?  This is an internet-only install...no TV or voice.

Tom

Short answer, yes. Depending on which gateway you are issued, the steps will be different.

The main thing is that with Uverse they usually don't issue passive modems any more, everything is an integrated modem/gateway/router/WAP and do not have a true "bridge" mode so there will be more places in the config you will have make changes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 2 of 2 (1,515 Views)