Internet Forums

Posted Aug 14, 2009
1:48:47 PM
View profile
Things to check for if you experience intermittent loss of your FastAccess DSL Connection

Electronic or physical interference can often cause intermittent loss of your connection to the Internet.

• Cordless phones and other electronic devices are the most common cause of intermittent Internet connectivity issues. Cordless phone systems running at 2.4 GHz often run at the same frequency as your DSL modem or home networking router. If you are experiencing intermittent connectivity issues, you may need to replace your cordless phone with one that runs at a different frequency.

• Large metal objects and electrical equipment such as televisions, home entertainment electronics, and microwaves can also cause interference. Try to keep your DSL modem and wireless home networking router away from these sources of electronic interference.

• Check with your neighbor. You may both be running wireless networks at the same frequency. The solution may be as easy as changing the channel of your wireless router.

• Physical obstructions such as walls, floors, home entertainment electronics,
    appliances, and furniture can cause interference if the wireless signals have to pass through them. Move your DSL modem or wireless home networking router to another location so it isn't in the line-of-sight of these potential interference factors. 

• Your phone jack may be defective or damaged. Try connecting the modem to a different phone jack, if possible. If the hiss and background noise is gone, the initial phone jack is defective and should be replaced.

• The RJ-11 phone cord that connects your modem to the phone jack may be damaged and need replacing. If your phone cord is over 14 feet long, the signal may be weakened sufficiently that it is intermittently lost.

• DSL filters are needed on all phone devices except the DSL modem. If you have more than one phone line entering your home, DSL filters should also be installed on the second line, even if it is not connected to your DSL equipment. 

• Phone ringing disconnects DSL service --If your DSL service is disconnecting when your phone rings, you probably have a phone somewhere in the house/office that doesn't have a DSL filter installed between the phone and the walljack.

• The inside phone wiring in your home may also cause intermittent loss of the DSL signal. Shorts, grounds, poor line quality, etc. can degrade the DSL signal.

Electronic or physical interference can often cause intermittent loss of your connection to the Internet.

• Cordless phones and other electronic devices are the most common cause of intermittent Internet connectivity issues. Cordless phone systems running at 2.4 GHz often run at the same frequency as your DSL modem or home networking router. If you are experiencing intermittent connectivity issues, you may need to replace your cordless phone with one that runs at a different frequency.

• Large metal objects and electrical equipment such as televisions, home entertainment electronics, and microwaves can also cause interference. Try to keep your DSL modem and wireless home networking router away from these sources of electronic interference.

• Check with your neighbor. You may both be running wireless networks at the same frequency. The solution may be as easy as changing the channel of your wireless router.

• Physical obstructions such as walls, floors, home entertainment electronics,
    appliances, and furniture can cause interference if the wireless signals have to pass through them. Move your DSL modem or wireless home networking router to another location so it isn't in the line-of-sight of these potential interference factors. 

• Your phone jack may be defective or damaged. Try connecting the modem to a different phone jack, if possible. If the hiss and background noise is gone, the initial phone jack is defective and should be replaced.

• The RJ-11 phone cord that connects your modem to the phone jack may be damaged and need replacing. If your phone cord is over 14 feet long, the signal may be weakened sufficiently that it is intermittently lost.

• DSL filters are needed on all phone devices except the DSL modem. If you have more than one phone line entering your home, DSL filters should also be installed on the second line, even if it is not connected to your DSL equipment. 

• Phone ringing disconnects DSL service --If your DSL service is disconnecting when your phone rings, you probably have a phone somewhere in the house/office that doesn't have a DSL filter installed between the phone and the walljack.

• The inside phone wiring in your home may also cause intermittent loss of the DSL signal. Shorts, grounds, poor line quality, etc. can degrade the DSL signal.

Things to check for if you experience intermittent loss of your FastAccess DSL Connection

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2009 8:04:30 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have intermittent connection issues with my AT&T DSL (Extreme) Service. At times, my modem drops Internet connectivity while keeping my "local" service. This occurs, seemingly, at random. I reset modem and computer. This does not always solve the problem. When it doesn't, the service sometimes connects again withint 15 mins. 1. Why do I have these issues? 2. When I call "support," I'd really rather someone who can understand the vernacular english that we use rather than a "Textbook" english... When I hear, "Yes, I understand" when they clearly do NOT understand makes me frustrated and not want to deal with them or, by definition, AT&T. If I can make a recommendation (while I go look for the cable number to see how cheap they can provide internet service), can you hire people who speak "real" english as a first language and who have hands-on experience with your system rather than "flipping pages" in a book to trouble-shoot connection issues? When I call and say my system can't connect to a DNS server, I might have checked on my windows system and run some tests on my bsd system as well... Imagine my surprise (sarcasm) when I realize I know much more than the "support people" who are trying to "fix" my problem but who, due to a language barrier, don't GET what my problem is (that or they are simply running me through the pages in their manual). Either way, It gets old...fast. As for AT&T waiting to tell me my beige "old" modem should have been replaced over a year ago, I have to wait till my connection no longer works (for a few days) until a tech can come out and replace it. Where is the service? Yes, I am frustrated after speaking with "John" (whose name, obviouslly is NOT John). If you don't let them use their names, why should I trust anything they say since the are already "lying" or, at a minimum, misleading me--over a name? I expected more from AT&T. While I consider alternative means of access, I'll see if AT&T can "step up to the plate," address these issues, and, at a minimum, publicly try to defend their support in terms other than "price to performance" ratios. If AT&T hired my firm and I provided the service I just got, AT&T would not use me again--and I wouldn't blame them... I'll stop my rant now, but I'd still like to see AT&T answer some of the issues I raise...

I have intermittent connection issues with my AT&T DSL (Extreme) Service. At times, my modem drops Internet connectivity while keeping my "local" service. This occurs, seemingly, at random. I reset modem and computer. This does not always solve the problem. When it doesn't, the service sometimes connects again withint 15 mins. 1. Why do I have these issues? 2. When I call "support," I'd really rather someone who can understand the vernacular english that we use rather than a "Textbook" english... When I hear, "Yes, I understand" when they clearly do NOT understand makes me frustrated and not want to deal with them or, by definition, AT&T. If I can make a recommendation (while I go look for the cable number to see how cheap they can provide internet service), can you hire people who speak "real" english as a first language and who have hands-on experience with your system rather than "flipping pages" in a book to trouble-shoot connection issues? When I call and say my system can't connect to a DNS server, I might have checked on my windows system and run some tests on my bsd system as well... Imagine my surprise (sarcasm) when I realize I know much more than the "support people" who are trying to "fix" my problem but who, due to a language barrier, don't GET what my problem is (that or they are simply running me through the pages in their manual). Either way, It gets old...fast. As for AT&T waiting to tell me my beige "old" modem should have been replaced over a year ago, I have to wait till my connection no longer works (for a few days) until a tech can come out and replace it. Where is the service? Yes, I am frustrated after speaking with "John" (whose name, obviouslly is NOT John). If you don't let them use their names, why should I trust anything they say since the are already "lying" or, at a minimum, misleading me--over a name? I expected more from AT&T. While I consider alternative means of access, I'll see if AT&T can "step up to the plate," address these issues, and, at a minimum, publicly try to defend their support in terms other than "price to performance" ratios. If AT&T hired my firm and I provided the service I just got, AT&T would not use me again--and I wouldn't blame them... I'll stop my rant now, but I'd still like to see AT&T answer some of the issues I raise...

Feedback...

2 of 14 (1,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2009 3:16:56 PM
(0)
Contributor
I'm losing access 3-4 times a day with a power reset of the Westell modem needed to regain a connection. I found a loose connector in the network interface box outside the house and reseated the cable...no luck. No static on the lines but I'm still losing connectivity. When does "intermittent" upgrade to "continuous?" Anyone else having this issue?
I'm losing access 3-4 times a day with a power reset of the Westell modem needed to regain a connection. I found a loose connector in the network interface box outside the house and reseated the cable...no luck. No static on the lines but I'm still losing connectivity. When does "intermittent" upgrade to "continuous?" Anyone else having this issue?

Re: Things to check for if you experience intermittent loss of your FastAccess DSL Connection

3 of 14 (1,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2009 7:14:06 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm an AT&T retiree, and have had AT&T DSL for about 3-4 years now - and at best experience 15-30 second response time between hitting "enter" and getting to my destination. 1-2 minute response times are not unexpected, nor is losing DSL a few times per day. I called a rep a few weeks ago which resulted in him telling me that I have poor signal quality, and that it must be inside wiring. However if I called in a tech, for a "nominal" fee they could probably help out. Or, he suggested, that I buy a new modem since mine is probably "wearing out." If I send in $149.99 AT&T would send me a new moden. My PC, a lenovo R500 is less than six months old, so I don't believe the PC is the problem. I guess part of my frustration is that I've been paying for high speed DSL and getting phone-line service for God knows how long! But if I pay AT&T more money, they might be able to fix it! I'm moving in a few months to an area that provides Verizon service, and I cannot wait to sign up! Whew - I feel better already. But this may not be xmitted since my DSL light is out again! LOL

I'm an AT&T retiree, and have had AT&T DSL for about 3-4 years now - and at best experience 15-30 second response time between hitting "enter" and getting to my destination. 1-2 minute response times are not unexpected, nor is losing DSL a few times per day. I called a rep a few weeks ago which resulted in him telling me that I have poor signal quality, and that it must be inside wiring. However if I called in a tech, for a "nominal" fee they could probably help out. Or, he suggested, that I buy a new modem since mine is probably "wearing out." If I send in $149.99 AT&T would send me a new moden. My PC, a lenovo R500 is less than six months old, so I don't believe the PC is the problem. I guess part of my frustration is that I've been paying for high speed DSL and getting phone-line service for God knows how long! But if I pay AT&T more money, they might be able to fix it! I'm moving in a few months to an area that provides Verizon service, and I cannot wait to sign up! Whew - I feel better already. But this may not be xmitted since my DSL light is out again! LOL

Rant - Slow/Intermittent DSL

4 of 14 (1,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2009 1:24:55 PM
(0)
Contributor
Hi, are you using a siemens speedstream 4100 modem? IS the dsl light totally OFF? if its OFF then the modem might be defective...
Hi, are you using a siemens speedstream 4100 modem? IS the dsl light totally OFF? if its OFF then the modem might be defective...

Re: Rant - Slow/Intermittent DSL

5 of 14 (1,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2009 12:41:02 PM
(0)
Employee
if all else fails and the above doesn't help a nid/sni test can give you an idea if you need to call for repair or have internal wiring issues to address. Least then if you have to spend time on the phone calling you know why and know a bit better what you need.
if all else fails and the above doesn't help a nid/sni test can give you an idea if you need to call for repair or have internal wiring issues to address. Least then if you have to spend time on the phone calling you know why and know a bit better what you need.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Things to check for if you experience intermittent loss of your FastAccess DSL Connection

6 of 14 (1,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2009 9:02:35 AM
(0)
Contributor
I have a problem using my 2nd line when the DSL Filter is in place. My home was prewired with Cat 6 cable and carries two phone lines on one cable. When using a two line phone with the filter in place, I cannot access my 2nd phone line. If i remove the filter, I can use my 2nd line but i can hear the modem in the back ground which prohibits my from using the second line. Please help. Thanks J
I have a problem using my 2nd line when the DSL Filter is in place. My home was prewired with Cat 6 cable and carries two phone lines on one cable. When using a two line phone with the filter in place, I cannot access my 2nd phone line. If i remove the filter, I can use my 2nd line but i can hear the modem in the back ground which prohibits my from using the second line. Please help. Thanks J

7 of 14 (1,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2009 1:55:41 PM
(0)
Employee
only way around that one is going to be to get a line one/line two splitter and split it at the jack. Mainly cause you have to filter one line.

Only other way around it is to pay for a AT&T tech (or you can do it yourself) to wire in a nid/sni dsl splitter.

That's about the only two ways your going to be able to fix that problem.
only way around that one is going to be to get a line one/line two splitter and split it at the jack. Mainly cause you have to filter one line.

Only other way around it is to pay for a AT&T tech (or you can do it yourself) to wire in a nid/sni dsl splitter.

That's about the only two ways your going to be able to fix that problem.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

8 of 14 (1,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2009 5:26:52 AM
(0)
Contributor
Thanks David. I appreciate the help. After a trip to radio shack, I found out the a two line dsl filter would solve my problem. Unfortunately I have to buy one compatible with 2wire and that is only available throught the online store at At and t. It would have been nice if any of the four phone reps I spoke with could have told me that. Ahh well.
Thanks David. I appreciate the help. After a trip to radio shack, I found out the a two line dsl filter would solve my problem. Unfortunately I have to buy one compatible with 2wire and that is only available throught the online store at At and t. It would have been nice if any of the four phone reps I spoke with could have told me that. Ahh well.

9 of 14 (1,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2009 4:22:31 PM
(0)
Employee

JCGerold wrote:

yea only way around that would be to be sure to mention that you have more than one line, and would mention that one phone terminates with 2 lines. Most don't ask cause most assume you only have one phone line.

JCGerold wrote:

yea only way around that would be to be sure to mention that you have more than one line, and would mention that one phone terminates with 2 lines. Most don't ask cause most assume you only have one phone line.

10 of 14 (1,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2009 3:03:43 AM
(0)
Contributor
We are all aware that we may get some agents who may not have the same accent we are used to but I believe AT&T is working on that. Sometimes, we have to understand that they may need some time to adjust and to neutralize the thick accent. First, it is not their first language but they are great because they speak and understand English laguage and other laguages. When it comes to accent and listening, it can be worked on. Well, what is more important is that these agents are trying their best to resolve customers' technical issues so we have to work with them as well. Instead of being sarcastic sometimes, we have to cooperate with them, and learn to undertand. Much more to it, we have to thank them because they are there for an important "business purpose". Come to think about it, why do we have them in the first place, and what would happen if we don't have them...we gotta think outside the box...
We are all aware that we may get some agents who may not have the same accent we are used to but I believe AT&T is working on that. Sometimes, we have to understand that they may need some time to adjust and to neutralize the thick accent. First, it is not their first language but they are great because they speak and understand English laguage and other laguages. When it comes to accent and listening, it can be worked on. Well, what is more important is that these agents are trying their best to resolve customers' technical issues so we have to work with them as well. Instead of being sarcastic sometimes, we have to cooperate with them, and learn to undertand. Much more to it, we have to thank them because they are there for an important "business purpose". Come to think about it, why do we have them in the first place, and what would happen if we don't have them...we gotta think outside the box...

Re: Feedback...

11 of 14 (545 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2009 11:32:23 AM
(0)
Contributor
AT&T DSL continues to be intermittent with frequrent drops of 5 to 12 mintues multiple times during the day. The 800 number continues to malfunction as there is no way to get to tech support and the online tech support has been dropped due to inablity to function.
AT&T DSL continues to be intermittent with frequrent drops of 5 to 12 mintues multiple times during the day. The 800 number continues to malfunction as there is no way to get to tech support and the online tech support has been dropped due to inablity to function.

12 of 14 (545 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2009 11:33:59 AM
(0)
Contributor
Good luck let us know if AT&T ever responds
Good luck let us know if AT&T ever responds

13 of 14 (545 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 6:52:33 AM
(0)
Contributor

Sounds like I am having the same problem and I have U-Verse. Trying to get ATT support is difficult at best and to get someone who actually understands little bit about what they are talking about is nil! I keep going through the same things over and over and there is no one at ATT that cares to really solve the problem. I think ATT has taken all of the Comcast people because it seems they are alike.

Sounds like I am having the same problem and I have U-Verse. Trying to get ATT support is difficult at best and to get someone who actually understands little bit about what they are talking about is nil! I keep going through the same things over and over and there is no one at ATT that cares to really solve the problem. I think ATT has taken all of the Comcast people because it seems they are alike.

14 of 14 (435 Views)