Strange routing issues with a 2wire 3801HGV

Teacher

Strange routing issues with a 2wire 3801HGV

Hi everyone.

I'm a bit of a game enthusiest myself, and I like to host various games like Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike Source, etc.

On my old internet service, I was able to use a customized Linksys router that I was very familiar with and had everything set up on. It didn't take me very long to get used to 2wire's UI however, and I was able to setup the required ports relatively quickly.

However, after I have started my server, I am unable to connect to it, either by using my dynamic DNS name, or by using my external IP address. Steam, (the client that allows me to play these games), seems to show the IP address that I connect by, therefore I want to use my external IP, so others can connect.

I can still connect to my server using its LAN address, although then that's the only thing that shows up to my friends.

To the point, has anyone experienced strange routing issues with their 2wire modems where they are unable to connect to loca services using their outside IP address?

Many thanks for anyone who can help.

Message 1 of 3 (2,422 Views)
Highlighted
Employee

Re: Strange routing issues with a 2wire 3801HGV

Hello tgp1994,

To connect your gamming console with 2 wire router through external IP, we need to make changes on your 2 Wire router’s configuration page and perform advanced troubleshooting steps. Hence, I would suggest you to contact AT&T voice technical helpdesk at 1-877-722-3755 (open 24/7) ask to be transferred to our second level of support.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 3 (2,361 Views)
Teacher

Re: Strange routing issues with a 2wire 3801HGV

Oh, sorry if I wasn't specific, but I have one PC hosting the game (with an application called SRCDS), and then I am using another computer on the same network to connect to that host.

After talking about it with some other people, it seems that the reason I was able to connect before the 2wire RG was due to the fact that DD-WRT has special loopback capabilities. It seems that the 2wire RG also has these capabilities, but they were somehow hindered or disabled at one point while the modem was running.

Rebooting the modem seems to have fixed that, although if it happens again, I would have to say that there may be a software issue on the modem.

Message 3 of 3 (2,350 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.