Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Mar 28, 2010
10:51:12 PM
View profile
SpamGuard? Inbox Inundated With JUNK
hope you can help!!! everyday i am getting so much spam in my inbox that it almost seems like SpamGuard isn't working! i use webmail to access my sbcglobal.net email account, and i'd like to know if there's anything else i can do to cut down on the junk that's not being filtered out of my email. i have set up many filters to block certain addresses and i mark the junk mail that gets in as SPAM , but i'm still receiving an awful lot of SPAM every day. can you help? thanks!
hope you can help!!! everyday i am getting so much spam in my inbox that it almost seems like SpamGuard isn't working! i use webmail to access my sbcglobal.net email account, and i'd like to know if there's anything else i can do to cut down on the junk that's not being filtered out of my email. i have set up many filters to block certain addresses and i mark the junk mail that gets in as SPAM , but i'm still receiving an awful lot of SPAM every day. can you help? thanks!

SpamGuard? Inbox Inundated With JUNK

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2010 11:44:53 AM
(0)
Employee

Hello macbaby,

I extend my gratitude to you for contacting us about this issue through the forums and please, accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

Spammers engage in what's called "dictionary attacks." These spammers attempt to send to every possible email address that they can think of. You're most likely the victim of one of these dictionary attacks, especially if you have a common extra mail address in the format of firstname.lastname@yahoo.com.

Creating the filter is one of the best way to stop the spam, that you already tried.

Please, keep AT&T Yahoo! spam gaurd turned on. To check if it's on:

1. Click Options in the upper-right corner of your Mail page and select Mail Options.
  2. Click Spam Protection from the list on the left.
  3. In the Spam Filter section, turn it on by clicking the link: Turn SpamGuard ON.
  4. Click Save Changes.
  5. In this same section, you can also specify how often you'd like us to empty your Spam folder (we do it automatically once a month, but you have options to empty it faster), as well as indicating your preference for showing—or blocking—images. Image blocking is another way to stop spam.

The Spam button

If you get a spam message in your Inbox, check the box beside it, then click Spam. This alerts us to the latest tricks and techniques that spammers are using, and helps us fight spam more effectively.

If you change your mind or think you made a mistake, just look for the message from that sender in your Spam folder and click Not Spam to reverse your vote.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Hello macbaby,

I extend my gratitude to you for contacting us about this issue through the forums and please, accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

Spammers engage in what's called "dictionary attacks." These spammers attempt to send to every possible email address that they can think of. You're most likely the victim of one of these dictionary attacks, especially if you have a common extra mail address in the format of firstname.lastname@yahoo.com.

Creating the filter is one of the best way to stop the spam, that you already tried.

Please, keep AT&T Yahoo! spam gaurd turned on. To check if it's on:

1. Click Options in the upper-right corner of your Mail page and select Mail Options.
  2. Click Spam Protection from the list on the left.
  3. In the Spam Filter section, turn it on by clicking the link: Turn SpamGuard ON.
  4. Click Save Changes.
  5. In this same section, you can also specify how often you'd like us to empty your Spam folder (we do it automatically once a month, but you have options to empty it faster), as well as indicating your preference for showing—or blocking—images. Image blocking is another way to stop spam.

The Spam button

If you get a spam message in your Inbox, check the box beside it, then click Spam. This alerts us to the latest tricks and techniques that spammers are using, and helps us fight spam more effectively.

If you change your mind or think you made a mistake, just look for the message from that sender in your Spam folder and click Not Spam to reverse your vote.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: SpamGuard? Inbox Inundated With JUNK

2 of 9 (3,344 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2010 8:07:25 PM
(0)
Tutor
I have my Spam filter turned on, but I, too, am experiencing an uptick in spam to my inbox. I didn't have this problem with AT&T Worldnet, and Yahoo is so much bigger and more powerful. Why the spam? I do mark as spam such messages, this posting is not a query but a complaint. I hope you improve your spam filters.
I have my Spam filter turned on, but I, too, am experiencing an uptick in spam to my inbox. I didn't have this problem with AT&T Worldnet, and Yahoo is so much bigger and more powerful. Why the spam? I do mark as spam such messages, this posting is not a query but a complaint. I hope you improve your spam filters.

3 of 9 (3,344 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2010 1:02:27 PM
(0)
Employee
 Hello Carol,

Spam is unsolicited email. It is the Internet version of "junk" mail. The mail is usually the result of broadcasting unsolicited advertisements by flooding the Internet with multiple copies of the same message. Although spam is usually harmless, it can be annoying because it takes up storage space on your computer and is time-consuming to remove.

The main causes are for getting spam mails on any email account are mentioned below:

• Scanning Usenet discussion groups
  • Buying or stealing Internet mailing lists
  • Searching the Web
  • Randomly guessing email addresses

AT&T Yahoo! considers Member feedback important and we have established a web-page exclusively designed to receive your valuable feedback. Please submit your feedback to: http://support.att.com/emailus

However, there are few work around to receive less number of spam emails in your inbox.

In order to stop the spammers to send the emails on your AT&T email address, you can block messages  from certain senders in AT&T Powered By Yahoo! Webmail. Please, follow these steps:

1. Sign into the AT&T Powered By Yahoo! Webmail.

2. Click Options, and then More Options.

3. Click Spam.

4. Type in the email address to block.

5. Click Add.

You may also create filters to stop unwanted Spam mails, please, follow these steps:

1. In AT&T Powered by Yahoo! Mail Classic, Click Options, and then More Options.

2. Click Filters.

3. Select the filter you wish to edit and click Edit.

4. Complete the necessary changes to the filter and click Save Changes.

If you experience any difficulty, while creating filters or while blocking spam emails, it is recommended that you contact AT&T eChat support.

If you are in, 'AR, CA, CT, IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NV, OH, OK, TX, & WI',  you may click on the following link to connect to a chat agent. 

https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple

Hello Carol,

Spam is unsolicited email. It is the Internet version of "junk" mail. The mail is usually the result of broadcasting unsolicited advertisements by flooding the Internet with multiple copies of the same message. Although spam is usually harmless, it can be annoying because it takes up storage space on your computer and is time-consuming to remove.

The main causes are for getting spam mails on any email account are mentioned below:

• Scanning Usenet discussion groups
  • Buying or stealing Internet mailing lists
  • Searching the Web
  • Randomly guessing email addresses

AT&T Yahoo! considers Member feedback important and we have established a web-page exclusively designed to receive your valuable feedback. Please submit your feedback to: http://support.att.com/emailus

However, there are few work around to receive less number of spam emails in your inbox.

In order to stop the spammers to send the emails on your AT&T email address, you can block messages  from certain senders in AT&T Powered By Yahoo! Webmail. Please, follow these steps:

1. Sign into the AT&T Powered By Yahoo! Webmail.

2. Click Options, and then More Options.

3. Click Spam.

4. Type in the email address to block.

5. Click Add.

You may also create filters to stop unwanted Spam mails, please, follow these steps:

1. In AT&T Powered by Yahoo! Mail Classic, Click Options, and then More Options.

2. Click Filters.

3. Select the filter you wish to edit and click Edit.

4. Complete the necessary changes to the filter and click Save Changes.

If you experience any difficulty, while creating filters or while blocking spam emails, it is recommended that you contact AT&T eChat support.

If you are in, 'AR, CA, CT, IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NV, OH, OK, TX, & WI',  you may click on the following link to connect to a chat agent. 

https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 9 (3,344 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 2:13:01 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have to go through my Inbox, Spam, and Trash folder many times daily because AT&T is not blocking what should be blocked.  Apparently, all the emails are addressed to my email address.  I get all kinds of business type emails that I don't want.  The only way to block the **bleep**, is to filter each sender.  With 400 spams a week I have to spend 4 hours to filter these.  I pay for a service and end up working for free for AT&T!  AT&T has the worst attitude when it comes to helping their customers!  

I have to go through my Inbox, Spam, and Trash folder many times daily because AT&T is not blocking what should be blocked.  Apparently, all the emails are addressed to my email address.  I get all kinds of business type emails that I don't want.  The only way to block the **bleep**, is to filter each sender.  With 400 spams a week I have to spend 4 hours to filter these.  I pay for a service and end up working for free for AT&T!  AT&T has the worst attitude when it comes to helping their customers!  

5 of 9 (3,344 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2010 2:02:47 PM
(0)
Contributor

Fellow Spam Fighters-a possible solution!

After reading several posts on this topic it appears that AT&T does not and probably will not have a robust SPAM fighting solution in the near term. I have also noticed that the problem is getting much worse recently and I have had my email with them for 5-6 years. It seems that as little as 6 - 8 months ago I almost never had a SPAM message sneek through to the inbox. Now as many as 25% of my messages are SPAM in my inbox. I like many of you investigated my SPAM settings, created a some unique filters and finally decided I was fighting a losing battle. I can still remember when I would tell friends that AT&T had a good solid SPAM tool with there email solution and that they should change from there current provider.

I have found a work around that some will like, some will not. In a prior life I used Microsoft Outlook as a mail brouser where I worked. I consequently had it loaded on my home computer and used it as a result. I retired a few years ago and switched over to WEB mail so we could travel stay in touch with family and friends on extended journeys. I fired up Outlook again a couple of weeks ago, updated the spam filters, and guess what. Every thing that the Yahoo AT&T WEB brouser missed was picked up by Outlook as SPAM. Not most of it, but all of it over the past week. Probably 100+ spam messages. My solution. Use Outlook while at home, use Yahoo on the road.

Jack

Fellow Spam Fighters-a possible solution!

After reading several posts on this topic it appears that AT&T does not and probably will not have a robust SPAM fighting solution in the near term. I have also noticed that the problem is getting much worse recently and I have had my email with them for 5-6 years. It seems that as little as 6 - 8 months ago I almost never had a SPAM message sneek through to the inbox. Now as many as 25% of my messages are SPAM in my inbox. I like many of you investigated my SPAM settings, created a some unique filters and finally decided I was fighting a losing battle. I can still remember when I would tell friends that AT&T had a good solid SPAM tool with there email solution and that they should change from there current provider.

I have found a work around that some will like, some will not. In a prior life I used Microsoft Outlook as a mail brouser where I worked. I consequently had it loaded on my home computer and used it as a result. I retired a few years ago and switched over to WEB mail so we could travel stay in touch with family and friends on extended journeys. I fired up Outlook again a couple of weeks ago, updated the spam filters, and guess what. Every thing that the Yahoo AT&T WEB brouser missed was picked up by Outlook as SPAM. Not most of it, but all of it over the past week. Probably 100+ spam messages. My solution. Use Outlook while at home, use Yahoo on the road.

Jack

6 of 9 (3,184 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 1:53:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have also had a huge increase in SPAM. It seemed to have started all at once. A few months ago, I rarely got any SPAM. I have my SPAM filter turned on and have SPAM deleted immediately. I've examined a lot of those messages, and it looks like the spammers are using one time return addressees. So if you filter it, the next message they send will have a different return address. How do you filter or stop that? 

I have also had a huge increase in SPAM. It seemed to have started all at once. A few months ago, I rarely got any SPAM. I have my SPAM filter turned on and have SPAM deleted immediately. I've examined a lot of those messages, and it looks like the spammers are using one time return addressees. So if you filter it, the next message they send will have a different return address. How do you filter or stop that? 

7 of 9 (2,987 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 6:34:58 AM
(0)
Employee

Hello goldenear,

This is to inform you that you may also block that particular domain from which you are receiving the spam mails.

Yahoo! Mail makes it easy to block unwanted messages from a known address. It's just as easy to remove the block if you want to.

Here's how to block an email address:

1. Click Options in the upper-right corner of your Yahoo! Mail page and select Mail Options.
  2. Under "Spam", click Block Addresses.
  3. Under "Add Block", enter the email address from which you don't want to receive mail.
  4. Click Add Block.
  5. The address now appears on your list of blocked addresses.

Yahoo! Mail offers up to 500 blocked email addresses. You can see how many of your blocked addresses you're using beside the list - for example, "4 of 500 used".

This isn't a great way to deal with spam, though, because spammers keep changing their From address and other information. For that, we have SpamGuard.

Hello goldenear,

This is to inform you that you may also block that particular domain from which you are receiving the spam mails.

Yahoo! Mail makes it easy to block unwanted messages from a known address. It's just as easy to remove the block if you want to.

Here's how to block an email address:

1. Click Options in the upper-right corner of your Yahoo! Mail page and select Mail Options.
  2. Under "Spam", click Block Addresses.
  3. Under "Add Block", enter the email address from which you don't want to receive mail.
  4. Click Add Block.
  5. The address now appears on your list of blocked addresses.

Yahoo! Mail offers up to 500 blocked email addresses. You can see how many of your blocked addresses you're using beside the list - for example, "4 of 500 used".

This isn't a great way to deal with spam, though, because spammers keep changing their From address and other information. For that, we have SpamGuard.

8 of 9 (2,976 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 9:28:35 AM
(0)
Tutor

You must not have read my message. The spammers change their return address after every message. So you can't block them.

You must not have read my message. The spammers change their return address after every message. So you can't block them.

9 of 9 (2,967 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments