Internet Forums

Posted Mar 26, 2012
5:16:06 AM
View profile
Repeated loss of connection on weekends and school holidays

I had always known that my DSL connection dropped repeatedly on weekends, school holidays, and other times there were a lot of people home.  I have called a few times, once a technician even came and checked the lines (of course, he came out during normal business hours, so the problem was not manifesting then), but I saw no improvement n o matter what was tried (including dropping me to a lower speed to see if that helped: it did not). 

It was not until I started running a small Minecraft server for my kids and set up automated monitoring my outside IP address so my stepson could get in from his dad's place that I had a way to track just how often. In the last 14 hours, from Sunday afternoon until Monday morning before school/work, the router has reset and changed the outside IP ten (10) times.  

Right now I am using a 2700HG-B Gateway, Software: 4.25.19 that belonged to my wife before we married, before that I was using a Speedstream 4100 and a separate router.  I switched because I was having the same problem with my original equipment and the repeated DSL drops were confusing the router, so I was having to reset two peices of equipment all the time instead of just one. I think the drops are just as frequent, but the 2Wire integrated unit recovers more easily without having to go unplug it and plug it back in as often; I only had to manually reset it twice yesterday.

Has anyone else had luck getting AT&T to resolve issues that are clearly tied to network load? 

I had always known that my DSL connection dropped repeatedly on weekends, school holidays, and other times there were a lot of people home.  I have called a few times, once a technician even came and checked the lines (of course, he came out during normal business hours, so the problem was not manifesting then), but I saw no improvement n o matter what was tried (including dropping me to a lower speed to see if that helped: it did not). 

It was not until I started running a small Minecraft server for my kids and set up automated monitoring my outside IP address so my stepson could get in from his dad's place that I had a way to track just how often. In the last 14 hours, from Sunday afternoon until Monday morning before school/work, the router has reset and changed the outside IP ten (10) times.  

Right now I am using a 2700HG-B Gateway, Software: 4.25.19 that belonged to my wife before we married, before that I was using a Speedstream 4100 and a separate router.  I switched because I was having the same problem with my original equipment and the repeated DSL drops were confusing the router, so I was having to reset two peices of equipment all the time instead of just one. I think the drops are just as frequent, but the 2Wire integrated unit recovers more easily without having to go unplug it and plug it back in as often; I only had to manually reset it twice yesterday.

Has anyone else had luck getting AT&T to resolve issues that are clearly tied to network load? 

Repeated loss of connection on weekends and school holidays

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2012 5:26:05 AM
(0)

Make that 11 times.  It reset again right after I posted earlier...

Make that 11 times.  It reset again right after I posted earlier...

Re: Repeated loss of connection on weekends and school holidays

2 of 6 (272 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2012 6:59:28 AM
(0)
Edited by Ray_Scheel on Mar 26, 2012 at 7:23:52 AM

Now 12 times, I got another email at 08:30 saying the outside IP changed yet again. 

The IP check only runs from 06:00 in the morning until midnight, so there is no telling how many times it reset overnight that were not caught. 

The computer logging the changes was down Friday night and Saturday (Windows locked up hard right before I headed out of town), but it had been stable from the evening of the 22nd until the evening of the 24th.

This is the link to what I am using to monitor the external IP.  I set it up in Window's Scheduled Tasks to start at 6am and set the advanced properties to run every 10 minutes until midnight.  http://blog.angells.com/2009/07/how-to-email-external-ip-from-command.html

Now 12 times, I got another email at 08:30 saying the outside IP changed yet again. 

The IP check only runs from 06:00 in the morning until midnight, so there is no telling how many times it reset overnight that were not caught. 

The computer logging the changes was down Friday night and Saturday (Windows locked up hard right before I headed out of town), but it had been stable from the evening of the 22nd until the evening of the 24th.

This is the link to what I am using to monitor the external IP.  I set it up in Window's Scheduled Tasks to start at 6am and set the advanced properties to run every 10 minutes until midnight.  http://blog.angells.com/2009/07/how-to-email-external-ip-from-command.html

[ Edited ]
3 of 6 (263 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2012 11:40:27 AM
(0)

Now at least 19 resets in < 24 hours.  No one is at the house now, A/C thermostat auto-adjusts so it is not kicking on often, etc, and it is still resetting a bit more than once an hour.  Starting to wonder about my guess that it was weekend-related, though days I stayed home it ddi not seem as bad as it gets evenings and weekends. 

Now at least 19 resets in < 24 hours.  No one is at the house now, A/C thermostat auto-adjusts so it is not kicking on often, etc, and it is still resetting a bit more than once an hour.  Starting to wonder about my guess that it was weekend-related, though days I stayed home it ddi not seem as bad as it gets evenings and weekends. 

4 of 6 (246 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2012 6:47:15 AM
(0)

Total reset

Sunday 3/25 4 pm till midnight:

6 router resets with IP changes

Mionday 3/26 6am till midnight:

19 router resets with IP changes

This is worse than I thought it was by far.  The good news is that aside from the one at 6AM to start the day that could have been any time last night, it has been nearly three hours with no further router resets. 

Can anyone from AT&T comment as to whether this is normal behavior or symptomatic of an overcrowded DSL circuit? 

Total reset

Sunday 3/25 4 pm till midnight:

6 router resets with IP changes

Mionday 3/26 6am till midnight:

19 router resets with IP changes

This is worse than I thought it was by far.  The good news is that aside from the one at 6AM to start the day that could have been any time last night, it has been nearly three hours with no further router resets. 

Can anyone from AT&T comment as to whether this is normal behavior or symptomatic of an overcrowded DSL circuit? 

5 of 6 (228 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2012 3:13:05 PM
(0)

Cluster resets are continuing.  Since firing the monitoring script back up again Saturday evening after returning from a trip , it has reset 6 times. 

Cluster resets are continuing.  Since firing the monitoring script back up again Saturday evening after returning from a trip , it has reset 6 times. 

6 of 6 (160 Views)