Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Aug 25, 2011
4:46:48 AM
REGARDING CAP: USAGE CAP LINK SAYS I HAVE NO DSL SERVICE

Before I begin, let me say that my AT&T account is a QDL (Quick dry loop). I have no phone service on this line, only DSL high speed. Everytime I access the bandwidth usage link, I get the following message: "You do not have DSL Internet service on this account, so there is no usage to measure." Obviously, I DO have DSL service. Can someone please explain this to me, or tell me if there is another way that I can access my badwidth usage, or is there some sort of special provision for QDSL accounts? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Before I begin, let me say that my AT&T account is a QDL (Quick dry loop). I have no phone service on this line, only DSL high speed. Everytime I access the bandwidth usage link, I get the following message: "You do not have DSL Internet service on this account, so there is no usage to measure." Obviously, I DO have DSL service. Can someone please explain this to me, or tell me if there is another way that I can access my badwidth usage, or is there some sort of special provision for QDSL accounts? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

REGARDING CAP: USAGE CAP LINK SAYS I HAVE NO DSL SERVICE

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2011 6:49:11 AM
(0)
Mentor

Hi desolate,

There are quite a few customers who've experienced similar issues as what you've reported. Being that this whole bandwidth cap thing is fairly new to AT&T and it takes a while to get every part of the network on the same page, there are customers who will get errors such as those you've encountered. It's been my understanding that customers who receive errors such as this or are otherwise unable to log into the official broadband usage tool on the AT&T site, are being advised that AT&T is not monitoring their bandwidth at this time. Those customers are being advised to keep checking back with the broadband usage tool unitl they are able to log in at the site and view their usage report but until then, they need not be concerned as they are not being measured. The fact that your a "Dry Loop" customer makes no difference. Here's the knowledge base article straight from AT&T for you to review:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB409045#fbid=DBb5hiCbPVB

Hope that helps answering your question. 

Hi desolate,

There are quite a few customers who've experienced similar issues as what you've reported. Being that this whole bandwidth cap thing is fairly new to AT&T and it takes a while to get every part of the network on the same page, there are customers who will get errors such as those you've encountered. It's been my understanding that customers who receive errors such as this or are otherwise unable to log into the official broadband usage tool on the AT&T site, are being advised that AT&T is not monitoring their bandwidth at this time. Those customers are being advised to keep checking back with the broadband usage tool unitl they are able to log in at the site and view their usage report but until then, they need not be concerned as they are not being measured. The fact that your a "Dry Loop" customer makes no difference. Here's the knowledge base article straight from AT&T for you to review:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB409045#fbid=DBb5hiCbPVB

Hope that helps answering your question. 

Re: REGARDING CAP: USAGE CAP LINK SAYS I HAVE NO DSL SERVICE

2 of 7 (727 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2011 9:32:08 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for answering my question! Well, I guess D'd better enjoy myself while I can! My issue is that I do a LOT LOT LOT of downloading, via streaming video (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) When they finally get around to monitoring my account, if at any point, that 150gb is an amount that I reach on a monthly basis, I'm moving to another provider. I refuse to be "locked in" to a company where I have to monitor my bandwidth each month when there are others out there that don't have the same hinderance. I'm sure they they're banking on a lot of people staying with their service, simply because those people are too lazy to go through the hassle of changing to another provider, then again, there are still MANY people out there that don't do NEARLY enough browsing on their accounts to reach 150gb a month. I'm also sure that since this cap has been implemented, some people have already switched to another provider. To each his own.  I would be happy paying a little bit more each month to a company that has no cap limits (and I no longer have to worry about a "limit") than to pay a company that has imposed a limit, and I have to bite my nails each month wondering if I'm going to exceed that limit..........

Thanks for answering my question! Well, I guess D'd better enjoy myself while I can! My issue is that I do a LOT LOT LOT of downloading, via streaming video (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) When they finally get around to monitoring my account, if at any point, that 150gb is an amount that I reach on a monthly basis, I'm moving to another provider. I refuse to be "locked in" to a company where I have to monitor my bandwidth each month when there are others out there that don't have the same hinderance. I'm sure they they're banking on a lot of people staying with their service, simply because those people are too lazy to go through the hassle of changing to another provider, then again, there are still MANY people out there that don't do NEARLY enough browsing on their accounts to reach 150gb a month. I'm also sure that since this cap has been implemented, some people have already switched to another provider. To each his own.  I would be happy paying a little bit more each month to a company that has no cap limits (and I no longer have to worry about a "limit") than to pay a company that has imposed a limit, and I have to bite my nails each month wondering if I'm going to exceed that limit..........

3 of 7 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2011 10:17:47 AM
(0)
Mentor

One thing you might think about since the "bandwidth cap" issue looks like it may be here to stay (at least for the immediate future) would be to get a router that would keep a record of your bandwidth usage. There are a few on the market that come preconfigured from the factory with this ability. There is also "open source" software that you can flash your existing router with and it will change the router's features to allow for such. I have two Linksys routers (WRT54Gv4 and a WFT54GL) that are flashed with two differnet kinds of this "open source" software (Tomato firmware and DD-WRT firmware). Here are links to a couple of sites with info on some reputable software that does this:

Tomato Firmware (the one I currently use): http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

DD-WRT Firmware (this one seems to be the most widely used): http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

The process is a bit "geeky" and there's not really anyone you can "call" for free support (you usually have to do the research yourself and can sometimes get help in forums like these) but if you can manage to pull off the conversion, you certainly get more out of your router for sure! You get more from your router and you don't have to depend on AT&T or ANY ISP to monitor your bandwidth usage. Have a good one and if you find anyone in these forums you can help, don't be shy!

One thing you might think about since the "bandwidth cap" issue looks like it may be here to stay (at least for the immediate future) would be to get a router that would keep a record of your bandwidth usage. There are a few on the market that come preconfigured from the factory with this ability. There is also "open source" software that you can flash your existing router with and it will change the router's features to allow for such. I have two Linksys routers (WRT54Gv4 and a WFT54GL) that are flashed with two differnet kinds of this "open source" software (Tomato firmware and DD-WRT firmware). Here are links to a couple of sites with info on some reputable software that does this:

Tomato Firmware (the one I currently use): http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

DD-WRT Firmware (this one seems to be the most widely used): http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

The process is a bit "geeky" and there's not really anyone you can "call" for free support (you usually have to do the research yourself and can sometimes get help in forums like these) but if you can manage to pull off the conversion, you certainly get more out of your router for sure! You get more from your router and you don't have to depend on AT&T or ANY ISP to monitor your bandwidth usage. Have a good one and if you find anyone in these forums you can help, don't be shy!

4 of 7 (714 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2011 10:38:46 AM
(0)
Tutor

I'm not so sure about "caps" being here to stay. I listen religiously to Leo Laporte (The Tech Guy), and according to him (and many of his knowledgeable return guest visitors), streaming may end up being the new #1 video acquisition method for the future. Many experts feel that streaming will eventually outshine DVD and blu ray as the way we acquire our video data. Problem is, streaming and bandwidth caps DON'T MIX. If streaming indeed DOES become the main way to get video, that means about a QUINTUPLE hike in the amount of bandwidth per month that the "average" internet user would amass. If this were to happen, any isp worth it's weight would have to remove any caps that they had in order to stay in competition, as average customers would scramble to the isp that had no caps, even if they had to pay a higher monthly rate to avoid surcharges for potential overuse on a cap based isp. Who knows? Only the future holds the truth.....
       As far as your advice about the router software, thanks! I defintely want a way to monitor my usage, now knowing that I might have to pay extra for it. If nothing else, it would be good to have in case I needed to juxtapose it to AT&T's monthly measurements to make sure I'm not getting ripped off. Knowing ME, I might try out BOTH software options that you adivsed, and just stay with the one I feel most comfortable with. I'm a geek myself, so figuring out how to implement them won't be a problem. 

I'm not so sure about "caps" being here to stay. I listen religiously to Leo Laporte (The Tech Guy), and according to him (and many of his knowledgeable return guest visitors), streaming may end up being the new #1 video acquisition method for the future. Many experts feel that streaming will eventually outshine DVD and blu ray as the way we acquire our video data. Problem is, streaming and bandwidth caps DON'T MIX. If streaming indeed DOES become the main way to get video, that means about a QUINTUPLE hike in the amount of bandwidth per month that the "average" internet user would amass. If this were to happen, any isp worth it's weight would have to remove any caps that they had in order to stay in competition, as average customers would scramble to the isp that had no caps, even if they had to pay a higher monthly rate to avoid surcharges for potential overuse on a cap based isp. Who knows? Only the future holds the truth.....
       As far as your advice about the router software, thanks! I defintely want a way to monitor my usage, now knowing that I might have to pay extra for it. If nothing else, it would be good to have in case I needed to juxtapose it to AT&T's monthly measurements to make sure I'm not getting ripped off. Knowing ME, I might try out BOTH software options that you adivsed, and just stay with the one I feel most comfortable with. I'm a geek myself, so figuring out how to implement them won't be a problem. 

5 of 7 (710 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2011 10:48:37 AM
(0)
Mentor

I kinda picked up on you "geekieness" a bit reading your original post and I wholeheartedly agree with you about the bandwidth caps as I too am a member of the TWiT Army. Until the day arrives where these bandwidth caps are more trouble for an ISP than they are worth, its best to arm yourself with as much relevant knowledege as possible. I'm very pleased to have a fellow trooper here in these forums. If you take a few minutes to read through some of the posts here, you'll find that you can help to do a LOT of good for people in your spare time. Glad to meet you.

Brandon

I kinda picked up on you "geekieness" a bit reading your original post and I wholeheartedly agree with you about the bandwidth caps as I too am a member of the TWiT Army. Until the day arrives where these bandwidth caps are more trouble for an ISP than they are worth, its best to arm yourself with as much relevant knowledege as possible. I'm very pleased to have a fellow trooper here in these forums. If you take a few minutes to read through some of the posts here, you'll find that you can help to do a LOT of good for people in your spare time. Glad to meet you.

Brandon

6 of 7 (707 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2011 11:00:13 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hey man, it's good to meet you too! I'll tell you what, I'll go through some posts and see if there is anything that I can help anyone out with. I'm usually pretty busy, but I can make time, even if it's only 5 or 10 minutes a day, skimming posts and seeing if there's anything I can help someone out with. Thank YOU for helping ME out with this particular issue. I'll see you on the super highway!

Hey man, it's good to meet you too! I'll tell you what, I'll go through some posts and see if there is anything that I can help anyone out with. I'm usually pretty busy, but I can make time, even if it's only 5 or 10 minutes a day, skimming posts and seeing if there's anything I can help someone out with. Thank YOU for helping ME out with this particular issue. I'll see you on the super highway!

7 of 7 (703 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments