Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Aug 15, 2011
10:32:01 AM
View profile
Question about links from AT&T

Good morning,

I received an obvious scam mail this morning asking for my login and password, I, of course, sent it immediately to the AT&T abuse address. They replied within a few minutes with their "auto reply" that they'd received it and, in the reply, listed six websites to visit to help users keep themselves safe from these kind of things (and more). My problem with this is that every single one of the websites which were AT&T sites (four of them) no longer exist!! They were dead links! The other two, Microsoft and the FBI, were active. This, to me is somewhat ludicrous. If AT&T is going to provide information to help their subscribers then the links should be active! If they're not, then don't list dead ones!

I'm an advanced user who knew immediately what to do when the scam email showed up in my inbox. But others might not (and do not) know what to do. I may sound petty in this but AT&T - if you're going to put links in your return emails, at least make them good ones - not dead ones! So many users can and do need information about how to protect themselves and the more help they can get the better it is. Don't give them dead links! That's sloppy and totally unprofessional. We;re all paying for your service, the least you can do is to provide the information to help make it safer, instead of a dead link.

Shelley

Good morning,

I received an obvious scam mail this morning asking for my login and password, I, of course, sent it immediately to the AT&T abuse address. They replied within a few minutes with their "auto reply" that they'd received it and, in the reply, listed six websites to visit to help users keep themselves safe from these kind of things (and more). My problem with this is that every single one of the websites which were AT&T sites (four of them) no longer exist!! They were dead links! The other two, Microsoft and the FBI, were active. This, to me is somewhat ludicrous. If AT&T is going to provide information to help their subscribers then the links should be active! If they're not, then don't list dead ones!

I'm an advanced user who knew immediately what to do when the scam email showed up in my inbox. But others might not (and do not) know what to do. I may sound petty in this but AT&T - if you're going to put links in your return emails, at least make them good ones - not dead ones! So many users can and do need information about how to protect themselves and the more help they can get the better it is. Don't give them dead links! That's sloppy and totally unprofessional. We;re all paying for your service, the least you can do is to provide the information to help make it safer, instead of a dead link.

Shelley

Question about links from AT&T

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2011 10:50:20 AM
(0)
Former Moderator
Hi Shelley,

Thanks for reporting this.
I will pass it along.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Hi Shelley,

Thanks for reporting this.
I will pass it along.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Re: Question about links from AT&T

2 of 3 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2011 1:23:45 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you, and for anyone who does receive mail asking for their user name, password, etc., they should immediately forward it to 'scam@abuse-att.net'. 

Shell

Thank you, and for anyone who does receive mail asking for their user name, password, etc., they should immediately forward it to 'scam@abuse-att.net'. 

Shell

Re: Question about links from AT&T

3 of 3 (85 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments