QUESTION?

Tutor

QUESTION?

im about to reinstall my computer on a new hard drive with win xp ,just wonder do i need to install any software to get back online? im usin the speedstream 5100b modem. anyone can help thanks
Message 1 of 10 (365 Views)
Guru

Re: QUESTION?

hi joe423!

just make sure that all necessary drivers (esp. NIC/ethernet adapter) are properly installed. ideally, you should be able to get back online as soon as you connect the computer to the SS5100B modem. no need to install any AT&T software.

but if it does not go online, try checking the ff:
1. on the modem, PWR-ENET-DSL lights should all be solid green
2. go to START --> CONTROL PANEL --> NETWORK CONNECTIONS --> LOCAL AREA CONNECTION should be enabled.
3. pull up a browser, go to 192.168.0.1 website.
4. go to ADVANCED --> CONNECTION CONFIGURATION --> enter the modem access code (found from the bottom of the modem) --> enter your complete AT&T email ID and password.
5. save the settings. let the modem restart.

if all goes well, it should get you back online.

hope this helps! :smileyhappy:
Message 2 of 10 (365 Views)
Tutor

thanks for your help akee . and i got other question about dsl modem do i have to leave it on 24/7 or it doesnt matter if is on or not when im not using my computer ?
Message 3 of 10 (365 Views)
Tutor

sorry for askin too much question ,i wounder why how come sometime it take so long to load a page and sometimes only take 2-3 sec to load it ,just like right now it take me 1 min to load a page and for different site is the same
Message 4 of 10 (365 Views)
Guru

it's recommended to leave the modem on 24/7. you can turn it off if you will be away for a few days or if there's a thunderstorm to avoid the modem from being fried.

are you having issues loading websites? you may try checking on the ff:
1. turn off the modem for 2 full minutes, then turn it back on. - this will allow the modem to refresh or re-establish its connection with the AT&T network
2. clear your browser settings to remove possible corrupted internet files
3. run a spyware/antivirus scan on your computer.
Message 5 of 10 (365 Views)
Guru

how to clear your browser's internet files (for internet explorer):
1. Click on 'Tools'. (on the upper-portion of the browser) --> Select 'Internet Options'.
2. Click on 'Delete Cookies' and 'Delete Files' buttons.
Note: If you do not have the above options, try the ff:
Click on the 'Delete' button under Browsing History. Then check the boxes for 'Cookies' and 'Cache'. Then click on 'Delete' again. Hit OK once done clearing the temporary internet files.
3. Go to the 'Privacy Tab', set it to Medium.
4. Go to the 'Connections Tab' and click on the 'LAN Settings' button. Make sure that no box is checked. Then hit 'OK'.
5. Close and re-open the IE browser.
Message 6 of 10 (365 Views)
Tutor

thanks for your help akee
Message 7 of 10 (365 Views)
Guru

you're welcome! :smileyhappy:
Message 8 of 10 (365 Views)
Tutor

this question is about my dsl speed like every 2-3 month my down speed always drop from 5mb - 1.5mb thing is my upload speed stay the same ,when this happen i always have to call the tech support what they say is always the same turn off my modem and Delete Browsing History but that doesnt work then they put me to the other line and i talk to those really know what wrong with it then they fix it for me in a min , the thing is there something wrong with the AT&T server or ??? the 1st line tech support really dont know anything they always say nothing wrong with the speed only the 2nd line tech support knows , so do i really have to call in evertime when this happen talk to them and fix it for me ???
Message 9 of 10 (365 Views)
Mentor

joe423 wrote:
this question is about my dsl speed like every 2-3 month my down speed always drop from 5mb - 1.5mb thing is my upload speed stay the same ,when this happen i always have to call the tech support what they say is always the same turn off my modem and Delete Browsing History but that doesnt work then they put me to the other line and i talk to those really know what wrong with it then they fix it for me in a min , the thing is there something wrong with the AT&T server or ??? the 1st line tech support really dont know anything they always say nothing wrong with the speed only the 2nd line tech support knows , so do i really have to call in evertime when this happen talk to them and fix it for me ???
Hi joe423! Hello my friend I like you is experiencing the same problem. I can say that it is not the 1st tier tech support fault and it is not that they are not knowledgeable enough, in fact am so pleased with them because everytime I call them I felt they care for me and they give their best to resolve our problem. It is only that they do have a limited way to resolve our problem. For slow connection problem, usually the optimize browser, rebooting the modem and computer are the BASIC troubleshooting to resolve the issue. We need to do it so that the 1st tier can ensure that the cause of our problem is not from our end and it is outside problem so that when they need to escalate or create a report to outside techs this will be a valid and when the tech comes to our house we are assured that everything inside our end is cleared to avoid being charged by the tech dispatch. With line problem, Yes it is given that somethings wrong with AT&T server. All ISP experience this kind of issue, but as far as AT&T is concerned I can say they are still the BEST! They do offer cheaper prices and a lot of products we can select with for our additional satisfaction. Added unto that is the very friendly, professional and knowledgable agents (specailly from Technical Support) which always delivers a highly satisfactory service to customers like us. :-)
Message 10 of 10 (365 Views)