Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Sep 11, 2011
6:49:01 PM
View profile
Problems with ATT DSL LIne
Edited by new_morning_sun on Sep 11, 2011 at 6:51:03 PM

Hello,

I usually avoid complaining too much about ATT but I chose the internet service provider to be ATT instead of the wretched Comcast because well I had no other choice.  For the most part, I can get consistent internet access when I need it on my DSL line.  It was working without issue for months but all of a sudden when I returned back home, the DSL connection failed to work. 

I did reset the modem a dozen times, I had actually successfully connected to the line once before the DSL dropped once more.  I know this is not my laptop, network card, or actual ethernet cable for two reasons:

1)I have a light on my ethernet port.  I have also restarted my modem several times.  I have also waited about an hour without connections to see if that would help.  I also tried remoting in my modem via the IP address and it stated DSL line was down.

2)I was able to connect at least once and was also able to connect previously in the morning.  The issue happened in the afternoon.

Now, the light is read for the DSL, so it doesn't even get to the ethernet connection on the modem.  I did call ATT support today, I assumed they were open because it let me through to the point I was holding.  After 30 minutes I hung up.  

I am able to connect wirelessly at another location.

I really don't want to have to call ATT during the weekdays for many reasons:

1)It takes a while to connect to live person without getting transferred to the right department. My cell phone minutes gets taxed as well during the 45-60 minute wait time.

2)Usually the first thing they have me do is restart the modem. That seems to be fix for everything. 5 times out of 10 it might work but considering I already did this many times it is pointless to do again.

I just feel that ATT needs to improve their overall customer service.  The problem is not with the customer service reps but the system is broken.  Make it more efficent and less frustrating for the customer.  For instance, it took me 4 tries to get a straight answer about my new billing rate from a customer service because I was given different answers as to why my bill looked off.  It seemed communication was the issue there.

I am sure I am not alone in this, and ATT is a very large organization.  The larger the company becomes, the more layers are added bogging down basic efficiences.

Oh, and I did try to resolve the issue via the ATT support website.  Not helpful at all, and tough to use because I can't really test any fixes until I have internet access on the actual situation I am in. I do get offered to take surveys on service but I feel that no one will care.  I find it interesting when calling support that they try to sell you on additional products.  Solve my issue first and maybe I might considering adding more products to my account.

Just food for thought.  Please feel free to move this post if this is not the appopriate forum section.

Hello,

I usually avoid complaining too much about ATT but I chose the internet service provider to be ATT instead of the wretched Comcast because well I had no other choice.  For the most part, I can get consistent internet access when I need it on my DSL line.  It was working without issue for months but all of a sudden when I returned back home, the DSL connection failed to work. 

I did reset the modem a dozen times, I had actually successfully connected to the line once before the DSL dropped once more.  I know this is not my laptop, network card, or actual ethernet cable for two reasons:

1)I have a light on my ethernet port.  I have also restarted my modem several times.  I have also waited about an hour without connections to see if that would help.  I also tried remoting in my modem via the IP address and it stated DSL line was down.

2)I was able to connect at least once and was also able to connect previously in the morning.  The issue happened in the afternoon.

Now, the light is read for the DSL, so it doesn't even get to the ethernet connection on the modem.  I did call ATT support today, I assumed they were open because it let me through to the point I was holding.  After 30 minutes I hung up.  

1)It takes a while to connect to live person without getting transferred to the right department. My cell phone minutes gets taxed as well during the 45-60 minute wait time.

2)Usually the first thing they have me do is restart the modem. That seems to be fix for everything. 5 times out of 10 it might work but considering I already did this many times it is pointless to do again.

I just feel that ATT needs to improve their overall customer service.  The problem is not with the customer service reps but the system is broken.  Make it more efficent and less frustrating for the customer.  For instance, it took me 4 tries to get a straight answer about my new billing rate from a customer service because I was given different answers as to why my bill looked off.  It seemed communication was the issue there.

I am sure I am not alone in this, and ATT is a very large organization.  The larger the company becomes, the more layers are added bogging down basic efficiences.

Oh, and I did try to resolve the issue via the ATT support website.  Not helpful at all, and tough to use because I can't really test any fixes until I have internet access on the actual situation I am in. I do get offered to take surveys on service but I feel that no one will care.  I find it interesting when calling support that they try to sell you on additional products.  Solve my issue first and maybe I might considering adding more products to my account.

Just food for thought.  Please feel free to move this post if this is not the appopriate forum section.

Problems with ATT DSL LIne

[ Edited ]
2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2011 7:20:52 AM
(0)
Community Manager

new_morning_sun wrote:

Hello,

Hi new_morning_sun,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience and sorry to hear about the ongoing trouble.  I'm one of the Community Managers and I would like to help.  Please look for a Private Message with additional information.

Regards,

Alex

--------------
Rethink Possible
Private Message (ATTCustomerCare for account specific help)

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Keep in mind; I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

new_morning_sun wrote:

Hello,

Hi new_morning_sun,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience and sorry to hear about the ongoing trouble.  I'm one of the Community Managers and I would like to help.  Please look for a Private Message with additional information.

Regards,

Alex

--------------
Rethink Possible
Private Message (ATTCustomerCare for account specific help)

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Keep in mind; I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Problems with ATT DSL LIne

2 of 3 (771 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 7:34:13 AM
(0)
Contributor

Having same problems with dsl dropping out.  It has been happening more regularly and is getting very annoying.  My understanding is that AT & T is having problems at their end.  We never had problems with dsl until just recently.  Was very stable.  AT & T, please fix your problem.

Having same problems with dsl dropping out.  It has been happening more regularly and is getting very annoying.  My understanding is that AT & T is having problems at their end.  We never had problems with dsl until just recently.  Was very stable.  AT & T, please fix your problem.

Re: Problems with ATT DSL LIne

3 of 3 (608 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments