Phone line noise with DSL

Contributor

Phone line noise with DSL

My DSL is working fine.  However, the noise on my phone line is very annoying.  I have the filters connected in line with the phones, but they don't reduce the noise to an acceptable level.  I have also tried another brand of filter, but it's no better.  The noise dissappears if I disconnect the modem (a Westell model), so I know it's the DSL.  Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 4
Employee

Re: Phone line noise with DSL

Hello mwild,

I am sorry that you had to go through this unpleasant experience and I apologize for the inconvenience that you are facing with this issue.

As you have tried replacing the filter, please, make sure that cables are connected properly (DSL cable connected with DSL slot and phone cable connected with phone slot on the filter). Also ensure that all voice devices like phones, fax machines, answering machines etc. in your premises, should have a filter connected to them.

If cables are connected properly, there must be some internal wiring issue with your phone line.I would suggest you to contact Telco department 800-288-2020, they work from Monday to Friday between 8am to7pm CT and Saturday between 8am to 5pm CT.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 4
Contributor

I also am having the same issues, I have found that there is a ferrite ring that can be used, how exactly ? I am looking into this issue with makers of these rings. Type in your search browser ferrite ring . Noise issues involving your speakers,fom what I've been told is that all electronic and wiring in your home acts like an antenna,this is the cause of the speaker noise. I've had a technician use a device that showed me these symptoms.

Message 3 of 4
Employee

Hello kearsten12,

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

The issue that you are experiencing with your AT&T phone line could be due to faulty filters, I would like to explain that DSL filters are needed on all phone devices except the DSL modem. If you have more than one phone line entering your home, DSL filters should also be installed on the second line, even if it is not connected to your DSL equipment.

If you already tried to replace the filters and issue is still the same the inside phone wiring in your home may also cause your phone line and giving you shorts, grounds, poor line quality, etc on your phone line. 

If cables are connected properly, there must be some internal wiring issue with your phone line.I would suggest you to contact Telco department 800-288-2020, they work from Monday to Friday between 8am to7pm CT and Saturday between 8am to 5pm CT.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

Additional Support