Posted Jan 14, 2010
1:17:51 PM
View profile
PC taken over while checking email!!!!! Help!!!
Everytime i check my email a "virus scan" starts up. It makes it look like it's my control panel doing it, and claims i'm infected. I can't get out of it unless I shut down the modem. I pay for AVG, but it doesn't find anything! I can search all day long as long as i don't check my email!
Everytime i check my email a "virus scan" starts up. It makes it look like it's my control panel doing it, and claims i'm infected. I can't get out of it unless I shut down the modem. I pay for AVG, but it doesn't find anything! I can search all day long as long as i don't check my email!

PC taken over while checking email!!!!! Help!!!

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2010 1:59:13 PM
(0)
Mentor

to Melinas_M0m,

how do you check your email? do you open it thru outlook, or do you use a browser (ex. internet explorer)? which program again do you think runs the scan? does it say control panel on the heading, or could it also be another antivirus scan?

to Melinas_M0m,

how do you check your email? do you open it thru outlook, or do you use a browser (ex. internet explorer)? which program again do you think runs the scan? does it say control panel on the heading, or could it also be another antivirus scan?

Re: PC taken over while checking email!!!!! Help!!!

2 of 9 (596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2010 11:34:22 AM
(0)
Contributor
I check email thru internet explorer. I don't know what program runs the scan. I'm sure it's a fake page, but it looks like my computer w/o anything on top. It shows the differant drivers, and across the bottom there's a status bar that says scanning. Under the drivers it shows outrageous amounts of infected files in each drive. The only way out of it is to shut down the modem. If you click cancel or the x button it just takes you back to a new message. I can't even use the back button or right click to close.
I check email thru internet explorer. I don't know what program runs the scan. I'm sure it's a fake page, but it looks like my computer w/o anything on top. It shows the differant drivers, and across the bottom there's a status bar that says scanning. Under the drivers it shows outrageous amounts of infected files in each drive. The only way out of it is to shut down the modem. If you click cancel or the x button it just takes you back to a new message. I can't even use the back button or right click to close.

3 of 9 (596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2010 7:49:20 AM
(0)
AT&T Internet Expert

Hello,

I truly appreciate that you took your valuable time to let us know that you are experiencing issue with your computer system.

The issue, (which you have mentioned above) can be resolved after running full system scan. Hence, you'll need to run full system scan through the security software which you use (AVG).

If that doesn't work properly, it requires multiple troubleshooting steps. In order to resolve your problem it is recommended that you contact the AT&T eChat helpdesk.

If you are in ' AR, CA, CT, IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NV, OH, OK, TX, & WI' area, please use the link mentioned below:
https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Hello,

I truly appreciate that you took your valuable time to let us know that you are experiencing issue with your computer system.

The issue, (which you have mentioned above) can be resolved after running full system scan. Hence, you'll need to run full system scan through the security software which you use (AVG).

If that doesn't work properly, it requires multiple troubleshooting steps. In order to resolve your problem it is recommended that you contact the AT&T eChat helpdesk.

If you are in ' AR, CA, CT, IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NV, OH, OK, TX, & WI' area, please use the link mentioned below:
https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

4 of 9 (596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2010 12:47:59 PM
(0)
Teacher
i think you can call avg to have the settings of avg to be set not to scan everytime you will check your emails
i think you can call avg to have the settings of avg to be set not to scan everytime you will check your emails

5 of 9 (596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2010 6:24:32 AM
(0)
Scholar

I agree with crazymarck, this has to be referred to AVG.

I agree with crazymarck, this has to be referred to AVG.

6 of 9 (596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2010 12:26:40 PM
(0)
Contributor
That's the problem, it's not AVG running the scan! I think it's some type of adware, but AVG is allowing it in.
That's the problem, it's not AVG running the scan! I think it's some type of adware, but AVG is allowing it in.

7 of 9 (596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2010 9:47:06 AM
(0)
Mentor

i believe it's the mail ads triggering this virus scan... you can access your email thru outlook or outlook express to rid of the ads...

another forum user was also experiencing the same thing while accessing his emails via the att webmail...

i believe it's the mail ads triggering this virus scan... you can access your email thru outlook or outlook express to rid of the ads...

another forum user was also experiencing the same thing while accessing his emails via the att webmail...

8 of 9 (596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

9 of 9 (596 Views)