Overcharged for DSL and can't get credit for it

Contributor

Overcharged for DSL and can't get credit for it

My DSL package has been incorrectly keyed for an indefinite period of time  I have been paying for the package that allows for 1.5-3 Mbps since I bought my current house in July, 2009.  However, my internet has been super slow and spotty and this has continued to be an issue.  I finally got a new modem this year from AT&T. This didn't fix the speed problems so I ran a speed test and showed I was only maxing 1.1 on a good day.

I called tech support on a Saturday and they said that it is keyed in their system that we have the package that allows for a MAX of 1.5mbps.  I assured them this was incorrect as I've always had the 1.5-3 Mbps package and they transferred me to billing and stayed on the line with us.  Billing said their system shows I'm paying for the 1.5-3 Mbps package.  Tech and billing said the "provisional" office will have to handle the situation  but unfortunately they're only open Monday-Friday.  But, I was assured that they would call me by the end of the day the following Tuesday.  Fast forward to Wednesday and no call.  I spend my lunch break chatting with billing who informs me the issue is a tech problem.  So that evening I speak to tech support.  Tech says they show I'm keyed to receive up to 3Mbps.  They then direct me to their speed test page where I show within normal range for what I'm paying for.  Yet, when I run the same test on other speed test sites (including the one offered by the first tech guy I spoke with on Saturday) I am only showing 1.1.  So I finally convince tech to send someone out.  They of course won't come out on Saturdays so I set it a week and a half out so I can take off work to be there.  The tech guy shows up and says that the problem is that they have you keyed for a max of 1.5 Mbps.  We tell him what we've gone through thus far and how we've tried to get it taken care of and so he calls in to AT&T to get it corrected to reflect that we have 1.5-3Mbps package.  It finally gets taken care of and I'm working at the speed been paying for since I got the service at that location 2.5 years ago.  I call in to get some credit or something for the difference between the package I was being billed for versus the package they allowed me to receive by incorrectly keying it in their system.  I get to one lady and she reads the notes from the tech and pronounces that my line can only hold 1.5 Mbps so she's transferring me to sales to downgrade my package.  She transferred me as I was asking her to wait.  So I hung up and called the tech guy back to make sure I was clear.  He said my lines could hold over 7Mbps.  I called AT&T again immediately.  I explained the situation to billing she said only her manager could make adjustments.  But, her manager was unavailable.  Mind you it is now Friday afternoon BEFORE 5:00 p.m.  I was assured I would hear back by the end of the day Tuesday, November 9, 2011.  Today is December 21st and I have heard nothing nor do I have a credit for the months that were improperly billed.   What does it take to get a call back from someone who can properly credit my account?

Message 1 of 3 (556 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Overcharged for DSL and can't get credit for it

Try contacting Alex, one of the AT&T Community Managers for further assistance.

Message 2 of 3 (525 Views)
Community Manager

Re: Overcharged for DSL and can't get credit for it

Thank you @spd2demun!

rainbowbound wrote:

My DSL package has been incorrectly keyed for an indefinite period of time  I have been paying for the package that allows for 1.5-3 Mbps since I bought my current house in July, 2009.  However, my internet has been super slow and spotty and this has continued to be an issue.  I finally got a new modem this year from AT&T. This didn't fix the speed problems so I ran a speed test and showed I was only maxing 1.1 on a good day.

I called tech support on a Saturday and they said that it is keyed in their system that we have the package that allows for a MAX of 1.5mbps.  I assured them this was incorrect as I've always had the 1.5-3 Mbps package and they transferred me to billing and stayed on the line with us.  Billing said their system shows I'm paying for the 1.5-3 Mbps package.  Tech and billing said the "provisional" office will have to handle the situation  but unfortunately they're only open Monday-Friday.  But, I was assured that they would call me by the end of the day the following Tuesday.  Fast forward to Wednesday and no call.  I spend my lunch break chatting with billing who informs me the issue is a tech problem.  So that evening I speak to tech support.  Tech says they show I'm keyed to receive up to 3Mbps.  They then direct me to their speed test page where I show within normal range for what I'm paying for.  Yet, when I run the same test on other speed test sites (including the one offered by the first tech guy I spoke with on Saturday) I am only showing 1.1.  So I finally convince tech to send someone out.  They of course won't come out on Saturdays so I set it a week and a half out so I can take off work to be there.  The tech guy shows up and says that the problem is that they have you keyed for a max of 1.5 Mbps.  We tell him what we've gone through thus far and how we've tried to get it taken care of and so he calls in to AT&T to get it corrected to reflect that we have 1.5-3Mbps package.  It finally gets taken care of and I'm working at the speed been paying for since I got the service at that location 2.5 years ago.  I call in to get some credit or something for the difference between the package I was being billed for versus the package they allowed me to receive by incorrectly keying it in their system.  I get to one lady and she reads the notes from the tech and pronounces that my line can only hold 1.5 Mbps so she's transferring me to sales to downgrade my package.  She transferred me as I was asking her to wait.  So I hung up and called the tech guy back to make sure I was clear.  He said my lines could hold over 7Mbps.  I called AT&T again immediately.  I explained the situation to billing she said only her manager could make adjustments.  But, her manager was unavailable.  Mind you it is now Friday afternoon BEFORE 5:00 p.m.  I was assured I would hear back by the end of the day Tuesday, November 9, 2011.  Today is December 21st and I have heard nothing nor do I have a credit for the months that were improperly billed.   What does it take to get a call back from someone who can properly credit my account?

Welcome and thank you for posting. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. I received your Private Message and replied with the information needed since this is account specific. Please check your Private Message inbox (blue envelope, top-right) for an update.  We'll get you in touch with the group that can help.

Regards,
Alex

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help others find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution".
Message 3 of 3 (464 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.