Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Dec 4, 2011
7:20:42 PM
View profile
Overage Charge?! What?!

I received an interesting letter from AT&T in the mail, recently; informing me that I had gone over the 150 mg limit that has apparently been placed on my unlimited internet plan.  It's hilarious because AT&T goes on to say that they are almighty and omnipotent and have so graciously decided to waive this fee.  I will; however, be charged $10 for every 50 mg that I go over in future billing cycles. 

I am dumbfounded.  Netflix, err, I mean, AT&T has decided to up their rates.  I agreed to an unlimited internet plan with a payment of $47.48.  That was the deal that we agreed upon.  This is just poor business.  I would like to know how I monitor how much bandwith I am using.  I don't know how to do this. 

Furthermore, my service is subpar to boot.  I can't recall a single day since I decided to *ahem, take advantage of AT&T's services where the modem's connectivity light began to blink red and I would lose my internet connection.  In fact, it is doing it at this exact moment.  I have learned to just deal with this because it's simply not worth dealing with AT&T's customer service department.  After the fiasco I went through during the initial few months of membership of trying to get connected to the internet and getting a service person to physically arrive (multiple times) to finally be able to let AT&T begin taking my money for a shoddy product.  No, I will simply wait for the red light to stop blinking and try to surf the web then.  I just hope that it doesn't begin blinking red again before the page finishes loading.  That's the worste because then I have to wait for the red light to turn green so that Ican try it all over again.  And hopefully, I don't get that annoying "Resolution Successful" screen that doesn't allow me to connect to the page anymore.  Then, I have to close out of the browser altogether and restat the navigator over again.........but I digress.

All of this aside, I am simply frustrated over what AT&T's reasoning is behind them thinking that they have the right to just impose this new, bogus fee.  I may have mentioned Netflix before.  It's too soon to have possibly forgotten what the outcome of that little maneuver cost them.  So AT&T, let this be your friendly little notice from me to you:  If you do not reconsider this new and unethical billing practice with me, I am gone.   I'm sure that I can pay less for the same calibre of crappy service somewhere, scratch that, anywhere else and I will excercise that option.  I only hope that if forced to take things to this extreme, that other dissatisfied customers will follow suit to hopefully show you that it is the consumer that you work for.  And in this time of ailing economy.....shame on you.

Jeremy Jones

I received an interesting letter from AT&T in the mail, recently; informing me that I had gone over the 150 mg limit that has apparently been placed on my unlimited internet plan.  It's hilarious because AT&T goes on to say that they are almighty and omnipotent and have so graciously decided to waive this fee.  I will; however, be charged $10 for every 50 mg that I go over in future billing cycles. 

I am dumbfounded.  Netflix, err, I mean, AT&T has decided to up their rates.  I agreed to an unlimited internet plan with a payment of $47.48.  That was the deal that we agreed upon.  This is just poor business.  I would like to know how I monitor how much bandwith I am using.  I don't know how to do this. 

Furthermore, my service is subpar to boot.  I can't recall a single day since I decided to *ahem, take advantage of AT&T's services where the modem's connectivity light began to blink red and I would lose my internet connection.  In fact, it is doing it at this exact moment.  I have learned to just deal with this because it's simply not worth dealing with AT&T's customer service department.  After the fiasco I went through during the initial few months of membership of trying to get connected to the internet and getting a service person to physically arrive (multiple times) to finally be able to let AT&T begin taking my money for a shoddy product.  No, I will simply wait for the red light to stop blinking and try to surf the web then.  I just hope that it doesn't begin blinking red again before the page finishes loading.  That's the worste because then I have to wait for the red light to turn green so that Ican try it all over again.  And hopefully, I don't get that annoying "Resolution Successful" screen that doesn't allow me to connect to the page anymore.  Then, I have to close out of the browser altogether and restat the navigator over again.........but I digress.

All of this aside, I am simply frustrated over what AT&T's reasoning is behind them thinking that they have the right to just impose this new, bogus fee.  I may have mentioned Netflix before.  It's too soon to have possibly forgotten what the outcome of that little maneuver cost them.  So AT&T, let this be your friendly little notice from me to you:  If you do not reconsider this new and unethical billing practice with me, I am gone.   I'm sure that I can pay less for the same calibre of crappy service somewhere, scratch that, anywhere else and I will excercise that option.  I only hope that if forced to take things to this extreme, that other dissatisfied customers will follow suit to hopefully show you that it is the consumer that you work for.  And in this time of ailing economy.....shame on you.

Jeremy Jones

Overage Charge?! What?!

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2011 6:06:46 AM
(0)
Master

jonesin4music wrote:

I am dumbfounded.  Netflix, err, I mean, AT&T has decided to up their rates.  I agreed to an unlimited internet plan with a payment of $47.48.  That was the deal that we agreed upon

Read the TOS: http://www.att.net/tos2011 What you agreed to, was to pay what they want, when they want, for whatever service they are able and/or willing to provide to you, with no guarantee of service quality or price. They can also change any of those stipulations any time they want. The only "rights" you have are to accept it and pay your bill, or cancel your service.

This is just poor business.  I would like to know how I monitor how much bandwith I am using.  I don't know how to do this. 

Go here for usage stats: https://www.att.com/olam/loginAction.olamexecute?ltarget=BBU

All of this aside, I am simply frustrated over what AT&T's reasoning is behind them thinking that they have the right to just impose this new, bogus fee. 

Again, please refer to the TOS.

I may have mentioned Netflix before.  It's too soon to have possibly forgotten what the outcome of that little maneuver cost them.  So AT&T, let this be your friendly little notice from me to you:  If you do not reconsider this new and unethical billing practice with me, I am gone.   I'm sure that I can pay less for the same calibre of crappy service somewhere, scratch that, anywhere else and I will excercise that option.  I only hope that if forced to take things to this extreme, that other dissatisfied customers will follow suit to hopefully show you that it is the consumer that you work for. 

There's where your're confused. They do not work for the consumer, they work for the stock holders. The consumer is just a tool for making profits (just the means to an end).

And in this time of ailing economy.....shame on you.

Jeremy Jones

If you are having connection issues that are not being addressed by calling customer service, you can send a private message to Alex. He should be able to resolve your problems.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

jonesin4music wrote:

I am dumbfounded.  Netflix, err, I mean, AT&T has decided to up their rates.  I agreed to an unlimited internet plan with a payment of $47.48.  That was the deal that we agreed upon

Read the TOS: http://www.att.net/tos2011 What you agreed to, was to pay what they want, when they want, for whatever service they are able and/or willing to provide to you, with no guarantee of service quality or price. They can also change any of those stipulations any time they want. The only "rights" you have are to accept it and pay your bill, or cancel your service.

This is just poor business.  I would like to know how I monitor how much bandwith I am using.  I don't know how to do this. 

Go here for usage stats: https://www.att.com/olam/loginAction.olamexecute?ltarget=BBU

All of this aside, I am simply frustrated over what AT&T's reasoning is behind them thinking that they have the right to just impose this new, bogus fee. 

Again, please refer to the TOS.

I may have mentioned Netflix before.  It's too soon to have possibly forgotten what the outcome of that little maneuver cost them.  So AT&T, let this be your friendly little notice from me to you:  If you do not reconsider this new and unethical billing practice with me, I am gone.   I'm sure that I can pay less for the same calibre of crappy service somewhere, scratch that, anywhere else and I will excercise that option.  I only hope that if forced to take things to this extreme, that other dissatisfied customers will follow suit to hopefully show you that it is the consumer that you work for. 

There's where your're confused. They do not work for the consumer, they work for the stock holders. The consumer is just a tool for making profits (just the means to an end).

And in this time of ailing economy.....shame on you.

Jeremy Jones

If you are having connection issues that are not being addressed by calling customer service, you can send a private message to Alex. He should be able to resolve your problems.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Re: Overage Charge?! What?!

2 of 4 (2,545 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2011 8:24:17 AM
(0)
Tutor

Ditto for this Customer....

I have the exact same complaint as you with the blinking red light of death.  They sent me a new Gateway router but I still have the same problem with the new router so like you, I'll just deal with it.  Unlike you though, I get the double whammy with  AT&Ts "bait and switch" con job with the billing errors.  I signed up for one price and three months later, the price has doubled from what I agree to.  I can't believe these guys are still in business and I truly regret letting AT&T talk me out of my Suddenlink cable service.

Ditto for this Customer....

I have the exact same complaint as you with the blinking red light of death.  They sent me a new Gateway router but I still have the same problem with the new router so like you, I'll just deal with it.  Unlike you though, I get the double whammy with  AT&Ts "bait and switch" con job with the billing errors.  I signed up for one price and three months later, the price has doubled from what I agree to.  I can't believe these guys are still in business and I truly regret letting AT&T talk me out of my Suddenlink cable service.

3 of 4 (2,528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2012 6:24:17 PM
(0)
Teacher

At least they notified you.

Sign up for paperless billing and they don't notify you.. Until they send you a bill via email.

Notifications are sent to the "ATT email address" - which as of today cannot be changed....

At least they notified you.

Sign up for paperless billing and they don't notify you.. Until they send you a bill via email.

Notifications are sent to the "ATT email address" - which as of today cannot be changed....

4 of 4 (2,259 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments