Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Nov 1, 2009
7:14:18 PM
View profile
Outgoing email at att.net has been down since October 29th
I can't send email to my att.net accounts. It's been down since October 29th, and I've had the same configuration for about 8 years!?! Is anyone else using email at the att.net domain and send secure email through the SMTP server - imailhost.worldnet.att.net? Thanks for any help.
I can't send email to my att.net accounts. It's been down since October 29th, and I've had the same configuration for about 8 years!?! Is anyone else using email at the att.net domain and send secure email through the SMTP server - imailhost.worldnet.att.net? Thanks for any help.

Outgoing email at att.net has been down since October 29th

49 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(49)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2009 12:08:33 AM
(0)
Teacher
I've not deleted/recreated my Windows Mail ('cos I don't want to risk deleting/messing my store of emails which aren't yet fully backed up), however I have tried creating new email accounts (new names within my domain) and they have exactly the same problem. Remember this is happening on all 3 of my PCs/laptops so it's not an isolated case of a "bad" email client. Like others here I'm convinced it's a problem with AT&T's smtp servers. If there's no sign of a fix in the next day or so I'm moving (most likely to Sonc.net ).
I've not deleted/recreated my Windows Mail ('cos I don't want to risk deleting/messing my store of emails which aren't yet fully backed up), however I have tried creating new email accounts (new names within my domain) and they have exactly the same problem. Remember this is happening on all 3 of my PCs/laptops so it's not an isolated case of a "bad" email client. Like others here I'm convinced it's a problem with AT&T's smtp servers. If there's no sign of a fix in the next day or so I'm moving (most likely to Sonc.net ).

Re: Outgoing email at att.net has been down since October 29th

31 of 50 (324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2009 6:01:04 PM
(0)
Explorer
I just got hooked up yesterday and my Outlook will not send email. I wasted hours on the settings and on support., they wanted to reset the settings again! It will not send; the error message is: Task 'xxxx@att.net - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).' It sounds like the server to me. I don't know what to do now. My att yahoo mail is working fine, but that is only good for a backup or when I am traveling. It is very annoying. My connection speed is fine and if it weren't for that I would be considering another isp. Also, their setup software is not compatible with win 7. I have wasted so much time.
I just got hooked up yesterday and my Outlook will not send email. I wasted hours on the settings and on support., they wanted to reset the settings again! It will not send; the error message is: Task 'xxxx@att.net - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).' It sounds like the server to me. I don't know what to do now. My att yahoo mail is working fine, but that is only good for a backup or when I am traveling. It is very annoying. My connection speed is fine and if it weren't for that I would be considering another isp. Also, their setup software is not compatible with win 7. I have wasted so much time.

32 of 50 (324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2009 4:05:30 PM
(0)
Contributor
Hello: Been having the same problem on a new computer running the latest sw... sending mail works on other older systems. This "workaround" worked for me.... switch back to "classic" mail from the new yahoo mail.
Hello: Been having the same problem on a new computer running the latest sw... sending mail works on other older systems. This "workaround" worked for me.... switch back to "classic" mail from the new yahoo mail.

33 of 50 (324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2009 4:20:33 PM
(0)
Contributor
Sorry... I didn't notice that you are talking about problems with Outlook... my outlook on my XP system works fine, sending receiving.... The problem I was having was on a Win7 system accessing Yahoo Mail with IE... did not work with the "new" mail, but works with "classic".
Sorry... I didn't notice that you are talking about problems with Outlook... my outlook on my XP system works fine, sending receiving.... The problem I was having was on a Win7 system accessing Yahoo Mail with IE... did not work with the "new" mail, but works with "classic".

34 of 50 (324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2009 5:16:58 PM
(0)
Teacher
I got a phone call from AT&T last night... from their customer service team I guess... asking the usual "You're a new AT&T Internet customer, we'd like to ask you a few customer satisfaction questions". I had difficulty stopping myself from rolling around the floor laughing!
I got a phone call from AT&T last night... from their customer service team I guess... asking the usual "You're a new AT&T Internet customer, we'd like to ask you a few customer satisfaction questions". I had difficulty stopping myself from rolling around the floor laughing!

35 of 50 (324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2009 6:52:26 PM
(0)
Contributor
Hey, I had a similar problem with Macmail 3.6 starting yesterday. I was not encouraged reading about everyone having the same problem for weeks. However, I called in to the tech line, and now things are working fine. I don't know if this will help you guys exactly, but maybe my solution will lead you to one for your pc. My outgoing port was set up to use one of three default ports- 25, 464, and...uh.... I forget the last one. The correct port to use was 465. We deselected the default setting and used the custom setting to use only 465. Also, there was a box for my password which was blank (I think it was always blank, but I am not sure). I entered my password into the blank. Now everything works fine- just like it was doing before it mysteriously quit working. I have no idea what changed where, but now I am sending mail again. I wish you all good luck figuring it out. Wowzer
Hey, I had a similar problem with Macmail 3.6 starting yesterday. I was not encouraged reading about everyone having the same problem for weeks. However, I called in to the tech line, and now things are working fine. I don't know if this will help you guys exactly, but maybe my solution will lead you to one for your pc. My outgoing port was set up to use one of three default ports- 25, 464, and...uh.... I forget the last one. The correct port to use was 465. We deselected the default setting and used the custom setting to use only 465. Also, there was a box for my password which was blank (I think it was always blank, but I am not sure). I entered my password into the blank. Now everything works fine- just like it was doing before it mysteriously quit working. I have no idea what changed where, but now I am sending mail again. I wish you all good luck figuring it out. Wowzer

36 of 50 (324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2009 8:50:25 AM
(0)
Contributor
I have also experienced the slow-down in keystrokes. The spell checker has also stopped working. I see the underlined words with errors, but when I right click and select the word to correct the misspelling, nothing happens. This is ridiculous. I am seriously considering dropping this service.
I have also experienced the slow-down in keystrokes. The spell checker has also stopped working. I see the underlined words with errors, but when I right click and select the word to correct the misspelling, nothing happens. This is ridiculous. I am seriously considering dropping this service.

37 of 50 (324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2009 10:45:41 PM
(0)
Contributor
That address is useless. Where on that page do you verify an address. No matter where I go I end up back at that page. Your routing is circular. HELP! I want Thunderbird back or I am switching to cable.
That address is useless. Where on that page do you verify an address. No matter where I go I end up back at that page. Your routing is circular. HELP! I want Thunderbird back or I am switching to cable.

38 of 50 (324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2009 10:50:10 PM
(0)
Contributor

Tried that, doesn't work. What the heck did you guys change? Looks like a lot of folks will be moving to cable. Including me.

Tried that, doesn't work. What the heck did you guys change? Looks like a lot of folks will be moving to cable. Including me.

39 of 50 (324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2009 5:26:09 AM
(0)
Teacher
I think all the problems have something to do with the partnership between ATT and Yahoo, the problems all started when they switched over to this yahoo crap. And they are probably blaming each other for the mess, and in the meantime all the customers suffer. My email problems started about a month ago, they had me change all the setting and such but it was still hit or miss whether it would work or not. I leave my PC running all the time, and every now and then I come home from work and and find a "could not connect" error. About two weeks ago a friends email started acting up the same way, now my sister says that her email is doing the same. We are all former Bellsouth customers and use either Outlook, or Outlook Express. Seems like ATT could at least admit they have problem, instead of leaving everyone in the lurch...
I think all the problems have something to do with the partnership between ATT and Yahoo, the problems all started when they switched over to this yahoo crap. And they are probably blaming each other for the mess, and in the meantime all the customers suffer. My email problems started about a month ago, they had me change all the setting and such but it was still hit or miss whether it would work or not. I leave my PC running all the time, and every now and then I come home from work and and find a "could not connect" error. About two weeks ago a friends email started acting up the same way, now my sister says that her email is doing the same. We are all former Bellsouth customers and use either Outlook, or Outlook Express. Seems like ATT could at least admit they have problem, instead of leaving everyone in the lurch...

40 of 50 (324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2009 11:39:29 AM
(0)
Employee

Posts on this thread regarding issues of not being able to send email using a client program could result due to several factors. There has been a known outage three weeks ago and customers were only advised to powercycle the modem and computer to correct the problem. If you don't belong in this category, then we advise that you check for any incorrect settings in your email client.

We recommend that you contact e-Chat for further assistance in checking the settings. Deleting and recreating the profile of your email account in your email client could sometimes do the trick to resolve this issue. You may temporarily use the webmail to check on your AT&T Mail by logging in to http://att.yahoo.com/mail website.

If you are in AL, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, and TN, you may contact e-Chat by going to this website: https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_se.aspx

Posts on this thread regarding issues of not being able to send email using a client program could result due to several factors. There has been a known outage three weeks ago and customers were only advised to powercycle the modem and computer to correct the problem. If you don't belong in this category, then we advise that you check for any incorrect settings in your email client.

We recommend that you contact e-Chat for further assistance in checking the settings. Deleting and recreating the profile of your email account in your email client could sometimes do the trick to resolve this issue. You may temporarily use the webmail to check on your AT&T Mail by logging in to http://att.yahoo.com/mail website.

If you are in AL, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, and TN, you may contact e-Chat by going to this website: https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_se.aspx

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

41 of 50 (727 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2009 12:00:01 PM
(0)
Explorer
I found the reason I was having problems sending from Outlook07. The att setup instructions left out one step and I called them and told them. The step that was left out is-when you are selecting port 465 for the smtp outgoing server, you also have to use the drop down box and select SSL. Even the tech people that went over this with me didn't have this instruction and they failed to get me going. Their server is quick and snappy and is experiencing no problems. I never thought they had their instructions incomplete and suspected their server.
I found the reason I was having problems sending from Outlook07. The att setup instructions left out one step and I called them and told them. The step that was left out is-when you are selecting port 465 for the smtp outgoing server, you also have to use the drop down box and select SSL. Even the tech people that went over this with me didn't have this instruction and they failed to get me going. Their server is quick and snappy and is experiencing no problems. I never thought they had their instructions incomplete and suspected their server.

42 of 50 (727 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2009 12:51:23 PM
(0)
Employee

Hello Collin,

I realize that you are facing problem while sending mail on your Windows mail. Please check whether the email account is working fine through the web mail or not.

Collin, in order to get the correct solution for this problem, I would request you to delete any previous accounts and then reconfigure the account settings on Windows Mail, if you are using AT&T email account you may click on the link mentioned below to get the steps: 
http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401573&ct=9000039

If you are using any other email account, other then the email which has been provided by AT&T, then please ignore incoming settings (POP Server) and check the outgoing settings (SMTP Server).

If your issue persists then please feel free to contact our chat support through the link mentioned below.

https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Hello Collin,

I realize that you are facing problem while sending mail on your Windows mail. Please check whether the email account is working fine through the web mail or not.

Collin, in order to get the correct solution for this problem, I would request you to delete any previous accounts and then reconfigure the account settings on Windows Mail, if you are using AT&T email account you may click on the link mentioned below to get the steps: 
http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401573&ct=9000039

If you are using any other email account, other then the email which has been provided by AT&T, then please ignore incoming settings (POP Server) and check the outgoing settings (SMTP Server).

If your issue persists then please feel free to contact our chat support through the link mentioned below.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

43 of 50 (727 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2009 12:56:54 PM
(0)
Employee

Hello ris314,

It’s unfortunate that you are facing trouble with the spell check on AT&T Yahoo! Web mail, however we are aware of the issue as many of our customers are experiencing the same problem.

We have our team working on the same and expect the resolution anytime now.
In the meantime you may try to use the classic version of AT&T Yahoo! web mail.
You may switch to Classic Mail, using the link mentioned below.

http://us.mg1.mail.yahoo.com/dc/optout?script=no

If you face any difficulty, switching to Classic Mail, please contact us on chat support using the link mentioned below.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple

Hello ris314,

It’s unfortunate that you are facing trouble with the spell check on AT&T Yahoo! Web mail, however we are aware of the issue as many of our customers are experiencing the same problem.

We have our team working on the same and expect the resolution anytime now.
In the meantime you may try to use the classic version of AT&T Yahoo! web mail.
You may switch to Classic Mail, using the link mentioned below.

http://us.mg1.mail.yahoo.com/dc/optout?script=no

If you face any difficulty, switching to Classic Mail, please contact us on chat support using the link mentioned below.

44 of 50 (727 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2009 4:09:05 PM
(0)
Contributor
I have spent the last 3 frustrating days trying to set up att. My e-mail accounts will receive but not send. I spent hours with online chat changing settings NO HELP1. THIS WITH MANY ADDRESSES AND 2 COMPUTERS. i WENT WITH PHONE SUPPORT AND NOW 2 ARE WORKING BUT THE REST DON'T. AS A NEW CUSTOMER I MAY NOT BE A CUSTOMER VERY LONG.
I have spent the last 3 frustrating days trying to set up att. My e-mail accounts will receive but not send. I spent hours with online chat changing settings NO HELP1. THIS WITH MANY ADDRESSES AND 2 COMPUTERS. i WENT WITH PHONE SUPPORT AND NOW 2 ARE WORKING BUT THE REST DON'T. AS A NEW CUSTOMER I MAY NOT BE A CUSTOMER VERY LONG.

45 of 50 (727 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2009 7:14:08 AM
(0)
Contributor
the 'can you hear me' commercial should be taken to heart by att. as we speak, i am making arrangements to take all of my business away from att. home phone, internet, call phones. i have wasted over 4 hours these past few days with the att help desk trying to get my internet to work again. to no avail. since the migration to the yahoo servers, it has been a disaster. once in a while email comes through. mostly not. the help desk doesn't even know that the problem exists. goodbye att. hello comcast.
the 'can you hear me' commercial should be taken to heart by att. as we speak, i am making arrangements to take all of my business away from att. home phone, internet, call phones. i have wasted over 4 hours these past few days with the att help desk trying to get my internet to work again. to no avail. since the migration to the yahoo servers, it has been a disaster. once in a while email comes through. mostly not. the help desk doesn't even know that the problem exists. goodbye att. hello comcast.

46 of 50 (727 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2009 8:30:48 PM
(0)
Contributor
This just started happening to me yesterday. My account was "blocked for abuse". I spend quite a while running 3 levels of virus/malware scans on every computer in the house (Avast, Malwarebytes & Superantispyware) to see if it was my fault. Everything came up clean. Then I changed my IP address and that cleared it up for a day. Now it is giving me the same abuse message. The "help" pages suggested that I change my Thunderbird email settings to the att.yahoo settings. That doesn't work. I have been an ATT customer FOREVER. I used it early in the dialup days as ATT had the best worldwide dialup access of any service. I have had my email account for years and continue to pay ATT for email as it has remained bulletproof. Please.....I want my ATT back the way it was!
This just started happening to me yesterday. My account was "blocked for abuse". I spend quite a while running 3 levels of virus/malware scans on every computer in the house (Avast, Malwarebytes & Superantispyware) to see if it was my fault. Everything came up clean. Then I changed my IP address and that cleared it up for a day. Now it is giving me the same abuse message. The "help" pages suggested that I change my Thunderbird email settings to the att.yahoo settings. That doesn't work. I have been an ATT customer FOREVER. I used it early in the dialup days as ATT had the best worldwide dialup access of any service. I have had my email account for years and continue to pay ATT for email as it has remained bulletproof. Please.....I want my ATT back the way it was!

47 of 50 (727 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2009 8:28:36 PM
(0)
Teacher
Til... many thanks for the SSL tip - it worked! If only AT&T support had communicated that change to their then customers we wouldn't have wasted the best part of a month trying to guess/figure this out. Cheers, Colin.
Til... many thanks for the SSL tip - it worked! If only AT&T support had communicated that change to their then customers we wouldn't have wasted the best part of a month trying to guess/figure this out. Cheers, Colin.

48 of 50 (727 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2010 3:35:31 AM
(0)
Contributor
I absolutely HATE the conversion from ATT.NET to Yahoo!!! I cannot get to my att.net email at all!! At the moment I am in India and I suppose I should not be the least bit surprised as when I was at home in the US I was not able to send or receive any email to/from India using ATT. I got a Yahoo email account just for contacting my dentist in India and now that I am here I have absolutely no way of accessing my att.net email. Every time I try the system revertsback to the yahoo account and will not let me get anywhere near my att.net account. This is totally ridiculous and I suppose there is no way to resolve this except to cancel all my ATT services since I apparently cannot access them anyway. I am paying ATT almost $300 a month for virtually no access
I absolutely HATE the conversion from ATT.NET to Yahoo!!! I cannot get to my att.net email at all!! At the moment I am in India and I suppose I should not be the least bit surprised as when I was at home in the US I was not able to send or receive any email to/from India using ATT. I got a Yahoo email account just for contacting my dentist in India and now that I am here I have absolutely no way of accessing my att.net email. Every time I try the system revertsback to the yahoo account and will not let me get anywhere near my att.net account. This is totally ridiculous and I suppose there is no way to resolve this except to cancel all my ATT services since I apparently cannot access them anyway. I am paying ATT almost $300 a month for virtually no access

49 of 50 (727 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2010 9:50:38 AM
(0)
Employee
Hello SandraLRose, Please, accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced. The issue that you are experiencing about AT&T Yahoo! web mail account can be resolved while checking your AT&T account details. Hence, it is recommended that you contact AT&T technical support. If you are in India, please, contact AT&T technical department through AT&T eChat support, you may click on the following link to connect to a chat agent: Browse http://support.att.com and click on Chat with us link available in the bottom right corner. I regret all the uncertainty you have experienced. Please feel free to reply to the post if you have any further questions.

Hello SandraLRose, Please, accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced. The issue that you are experiencing about AT&T Yahoo! web mail account can be resolved while checking your AT&T account details. Hence, it is recommended that you contact AT&T technical support. If you are in India, please, contact AT&T technical department through AT&T eChat support, you may click on the following link to connect to a chat agent: Browse http://support.att.com and click on Chat with us link available in the bottom right corner. I regret all the uncertainty you have experienced. Please feel free to reply to the post if you have any further questions.

50 of 50 (727 Views)