Outgoing email at att.net has been down since October 29th

Highlighted
Tutor

Outgoing email at att.net has been down since October 29th

I can't send email to my att.net accounts. It's been down since October 29th, and I've had the same configuration for about 8 years!?! Is anyone else using email at the att.net domain and send secure email through the SMTP server - imailhost.worldnet.att.net? Thanks for any help.
Tags (3)
Message 1 of 50
Tutor

Re: Outgoing email at att.net has been down since October 29th

Is it possible that my IP is getting blocked as a spam source? I'm an ATT/DSL customer so that would be frustrating if that were the case. BTW, has anyone successfully gotten the chat service to work for ATT support? It doesn't work for me. I'm redirected straight to the support page. arrgh.
Message 2 of 50
Contributor

I've been having the same problem. Talked to a support person for an hour yesterday. She kept saying your password is wrong. I kept saying, then how can I signon and download my email? She finally gave up and said call Worldnet 1-800-400-1447. Which I'm doing now. Waiting, waiting, waiting.
Message 3 of 50
Contributor

Just got off of the phone with the Worldnet support person. He checked my settings, said they where OK. WE'RE HAVEING A PROBLEM WITH ONE OF OUR SERVERS. We're working on it. I said it's been four days
Message 4 of 50
Tutor

I couldn't get the AT&T chat folks to help. They were insisting on (a) I test from home and (b) it was a problem with my settings. They were ignoring the basic symptoms... 1. On the same day, outgoing email broken on three accounts, two different email clients, and two different machines all on the same day. 2. Email works fine from the laptop when that laptop is on a different network.
Message 5 of 50
Tutor

Fixed....

We just restarted the DSL modem.

My guess is that IP address was getting flagged for spam, but I can't get anyone inside of AT&T to verify that diagnosis.

Good luck!

Message 6 of 50
Contributor

I am having the same problem. I have not changed settings for many years, but outgoing email started failing the afternoon (CDT) of Thursday, October 29, and has not been corrected. I spoke to Worldnet customer support on Oct 29, and he told me it was a new, known issue for users of Microsoft Outlook. he suggested it would be corrected in a day or so. However, today, Monday, November 2,, I am still getting the same error ("The server responded: 450 There is a problem with your reverse DNS lookup. You must have a valid reverse DNS entry to relay mail through this server..."). The same settings work from my home ISP (Comcast), but not from my work ISP (Logix). This is very frustrating. I am not a SPAMMER. This is no way to treat loyal, very long term, customers.
Message 7 of 50
Contributor

I'm having the same problems since last Thursday. Haven't talked to anybody at ATT yet, but that seems somewhat futile anyway. Having the problems on 2 Laptops and 1 Desktop XP and Vista. E-mail client is Mozilla Thunderbird on all machines. Our ISP is local to the region, no major provider. Since apparently several forum users with different providers have the same issue, chances are good that Mail server at ATT is to blame. Let's see how it pans out. Just my 5 cents.
Message 8 of 50

I am having the exact same problem. Have not touched any of the settings in the 6 years I have had it running, and for some reason Outlook can't send any emails. Keeps giving me a reverse DNS error. Anyone else resolve this problem, or is it on att.net's side? Have they even acknowledged it?
Message 9 of 50
Tutor

I just got an email from AT&T... I wonder if the impending changes are related to these email problems. The following is the text from their email: Dear AT&T Worldnet® Member, As part of our ongoing efforts to provide you with the best Internet experience possible, your current AT&T Worldnet Service will be undergoing some changes in 2010. These changes will allow us to provide you with future enhancements. We are working to make sure that the changes will be as seamless as possible — allowing you to move to a similar AT&T Internet service while maintaining your current email account(s) and content. The first change you will see is that there will no longer be a monthly charge for AT&T Worldnet on your bill, starting in December 2009. (You will still be responsible for any additional fees, such as toll charges, you may incur.*) Any new charges would start only if you decide to take advantage of AT&T Internet Services offerings. You don't need to take any action now, but be sure to check your email regularly for instructions on making the transition to a comparable AT&T Internet service. All the details will be sent to the email address that we have on file for you. In the meantime, continue to enjoy your AT&T Worldnet Service as you have in the past. We appreciate your membership and look forward to offering you an even better Internet experience in 2010. Sincerely, AT&T Internet Services
Message 10 of 50

I ran a diagnostic test from within Outlook and it passed everything (incoming server and outgoing server) but fails the test email portion. Really hope they fix it soon.
Message 11 of 50
Employee

Hi lorram,

This issue can occur due to some issues with the e-mail settings in Mozilla Thunderbird. The link given below has the complete steps to verify AT&T email settings in Mozilla Thunderbird.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401769

In case the issue persists, please contact the AT&T eChat helpdesk.You may click on the following link to connect to a chat agent.

https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 12 of 50
Employee

Hi neeservices,

This issue can occur due to some issues with the e-mail settings in Outlook. The steps to verify the settings in Outlook is given in the link below.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401568

If the issue persists, please feel free to contact the AT&T eChat helpdesk.You may click on the following link to connect to a chat agent.

https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 13 of 50
Contributor

Lucretia, does that mean that ATT changed the POP and SMTP server adress ? The adress I'm using is ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net and imailhost.worldnet.att.net. And I had no issues with those until October. Our Phones (Windows mobile and Iphone) work fine with ipostoffice and imailhost, but they are on an ATT/Cingular network. Will try your suggestion, but have not much hope though. Thx
Message 14 of 50

I changed the settings, it didn't work, changed everything back and it did. Shortly after, it stopped and said I was being temporarily blocked for "abuse." The web site says it only blocks for a short time. So I'm hoping it gets resolved soon.
Message 15 of 50
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Did you know the AT&T Community forums has the answers you need to solve most service woes? Check out our How To Forum article. You will learn how to find your answer!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues. We highly recommend chatting with our teams to address this as quickly as possible.

Additional Support