Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Highlighted
Posted Nov 1, 2009
7:14:18 PM
View profile
Outgoing email at att.net has been down since October 29th
I can't send email to my att.net accounts. It's been down since October 29th, and I've had the same configuration for about 8 years!?! Is anyone else using email at the att.net domain and send secure email through the SMTP server - imailhost.worldnet.att.net? Thanks for any help.
I can't send email to my att.net accounts. It's been down since October 29th, and I've had the same configuration for about 8 years!?! Is anyone else using email at the att.net domain and send secure email through the SMTP server - imailhost.worldnet.att.net? Thanks for any help.

Outgoing email at att.net has been down since October 29th

49 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(49)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2009 7:57:36 PM
(0)
Tutor
Is it possible that my IP is getting blocked as a spam source? I'm an ATT/DSL customer so that would be frustrating if that were the case. BTW, has anyone successfully gotten the chat service to work for ATT support? It doesn't work for me. I'm redirected straight to the support page. arrgh.
Is it possible that my IP is getting blocked as a spam source? I'm an ATT/DSL customer so that would be frustrating if that were the case. BTW, has anyone successfully gotten the chat service to work for ATT support? It doesn't work for me. I'm redirected straight to the support page. arrgh.

Re: Outgoing email at att.net has been down since October 29th

2 of 50 (953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2009 7:18:13 AM
(0)
Contributor
I've been having the same problem. Talked to a support person for an hour yesterday. She kept saying your password is wrong. I kept saying, then how can I signon and download my email? She finally gave up and said call Worldnet 1-800-400-1447. Which I'm doing now. Waiting, waiting, waiting.
I've been having the same problem. Talked to a support person for an hour yesterday. She kept saying your password is wrong. I kept saying, then how can I signon and download my email? She finally gave up and said call Worldnet 1-800-400-1447. Which I'm doing now. Waiting, waiting, waiting.

3 of 50 (953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2009 7:27:25 AM
(0)
Contributor
Just got off of the phone with the Worldnet support person. He checked my settings, said they where OK. WE'RE HAVEING A PROBLEM WITH ONE OF OUR SERVERS. We're working on it. I said it's been four days
Just got off of the phone with the Worldnet support person. He checked my settings, said they where OK. WE'RE HAVEING A PROBLEM WITH ONE OF OUR SERVERS. We're working on it. I said it's been four days

4 of 50 (953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2009 7:44:01 AM
(0)
Tutor
I couldn't get the AT&T chat folks to help. They were insisting on (a) I test from home and (b) it was a problem with my settings. They were ignoring the basic symptoms... 1. On the same day, outgoing email broken on three accounts, two different email clients, and two different machines all on the same day. 2. Email works fine from the laptop when that laptop is on a different network.
I couldn't get the AT&T chat folks to help. They were insisting on (a) I test from home and (b) it was a problem with my settings. They were ignoring the basic symptoms... 1. On the same day, outgoing email broken on three accounts, two different email clients, and two different machines all on the same day. 2. Email works fine from the laptop when that laptop is on a different network.

5 of 50 (953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2009 7:45:26 AM
(0)
Tutor
Fixed....

We just restarted the DSL modem.

My guess is that IP address was getting flagged for spam, but I can't get anyone inside of AT&T to verify that diagnosis.

Good luck!

Fixed....

We just restarted the DSL modem.

My guess is that IP address was getting flagged for spam, but I can't get anyone inside of AT&T to verify that diagnosis.

Good luck!

6 of 50 (953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2009 10:39:56 AM
(0)
Contributor
I am having the same problem. I have not changed settings for many years, but outgoing email started failing the afternoon (CDT) of Thursday, October 29, and has not been corrected. I spoke to Worldnet customer support on Oct 29, and he told me it was a new, known issue for users of Microsoft Outlook. he suggested it would be corrected in a day or so. However, today, Monday, November 2,, I am still getting the same error ("The server responded: 450 There is a problem with your reverse DNS lookup. You must have a valid reverse DNS entry to relay mail through this server..."). The same settings work from my home ISP (Comcast), but not from my work ISP (Logix). This is very frustrating. I am not a SPAMMER. This is no way to treat loyal, very long term, customers.
I am having the same problem. I have not changed settings for many years, but outgoing email started failing the afternoon (CDT) of Thursday, October 29, and has not been corrected. I spoke to Worldnet customer support on Oct 29, and he told me it was a new, known issue for users of Microsoft Outlook. he suggested it would be corrected in a day or so. However, today, Monday, November 2,, I am still getting the same error ("The server responded: 450 There is a problem with your reverse DNS lookup. You must have a valid reverse DNS entry to relay mail through this server..."). The same settings work from my home ISP (Comcast), but not from my work ISP (Logix). This is very frustrating. I am not a SPAMMER. This is no way to treat loyal, very long term, customers.

7 of 50 (953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2009 5:14:17 PM
(0)
Contributor
I'm having the same problems since last Thursday. Haven't talked to anybody at ATT yet, but that seems somewhat futile anyway. Having the problems on 2 Laptops and 1 Desktop XP and Vista. E-mail client is Mozilla Thunderbird on all machines. Our ISP is local to the region, no major provider. Since apparently several forum users with different providers have the same issue, chances are good that Mail server at ATT is to blame. Let's see how it pans out. Just my 5 cents.
I'm having the same problems since last Thursday. Haven't talked to anybody at ATT yet, but that seems somewhat futile anyway. Having the problems on 2 Laptops and 1 Desktop XP and Vista. E-mail client is Mozilla Thunderbird on all machines. Our ISP is local to the region, no major provider. Since apparently several forum users with different providers have the same issue, chances are good that Mail server at ATT is to blame. Let's see how it pans out. Just my 5 cents.

8 of 50 (953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2009 12:11:02 PM
(0)
Tutor
I am having the exact same problem. Have not touched any of the settings in the 6 years I have had it running, and for some reason Outlook can't send any emails. Keeps giving me a reverse DNS error. Anyone else resolve this problem, or is it on att.net's side? Have they even acknowledged it?
I am having the exact same problem. Have not touched any of the settings in the 6 years I have had it running, and for some reason Outlook can't send any emails. Keeps giving me a reverse DNS error. Anyone else resolve this problem, or is it on att.net's side? Have they even acknowledged it?

9 of 50 (953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2009 12:19:13 PM
(0)
Tutor
I just got an email from AT&T... I wonder if the impending changes are related to these email problems. The following is the text from their email: Dear AT&T Worldnet® Member, As part of our ongoing efforts to provide you with the best Internet experience possible, your current AT&T Worldnet Service will be undergoing some changes in 2010. These changes will allow us to provide you with future enhancements. We are working to make sure that the changes will be as seamless as possible — allowing you to move to a similar AT&T Internet service while maintaining your current email account(s) and content. The first change you will see is that there will no longer be a monthly charge for AT&T Worldnet on your bill, starting in December 2009. (You will still be responsible for any additional fees, such as toll charges, you may incur.*) Any new charges would start only if you decide to take advantage of AT&T Internet Services offerings. You don't need to take any action now, but be sure to check your email regularly for instructions on making the transition to a comparable AT&T Internet service. All the details will be sent to the email address that we have on file for you. In the meantime, continue to enjoy your AT&T Worldnet Service as you have in the past. We appreciate your membership and look forward to offering you an even better Internet experience in 2010. Sincerely, AT&T Internet Services
I just got an email from AT&T... I wonder if the impending changes are related to these email problems. The following is the text from their email: Dear AT&T Worldnet® Member, As part of our ongoing efforts to provide you with the best Internet experience possible, your current AT&T Worldnet Service will be undergoing some changes in 2010. These changes will allow us to provide you with future enhancements. We are working to make sure that the changes will be as seamless as possible — allowing you to move to a similar AT&T Internet service while maintaining your current email account(s) and content. The first change you will see is that there will no longer be a monthly charge for AT&T Worldnet on your bill, starting in December 2009. (You will still be responsible for any additional fees, such as toll charges, you may incur.*) Any new charges would start only if you decide to take advantage of AT&T Internet Services offerings. You don't need to take any action now, but be sure to check your email regularly for instructions on making the transition to a comparable AT&T Internet service. All the details will be sent to the email address that we have on file for you. In the meantime, continue to enjoy your AT&T Worldnet Service as you have in the past. We appreciate your membership and look forward to offering you an even better Internet experience in 2010. Sincerely, AT&T Internet Services

10 of 50 (953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2009 12:48:23 PM
(0)
Tutor
I ran a diagnostic test from within Outlook and it passed everything (incoming server and outgoing server) but fails the test email portion. Really hope they fix it soon.
I ran a diagnostic test from within Outlook and it passed everything (incoming server and outgoing server) but fails the test email portion. Really hope they fix it soon.

11 of 50 (520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2009 2:28:51 PM
(0)
Employee

Hi lorram,

This issue can occur due to some issues with the e-mail settings in Mozilla Thunderbird. The link given below has the complete steps to verify AT&T email settings in Mozilla Thunderbird.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401769

In case the issue persists, please contact the AT&T eChat helpdesk.You may click on the following link to connect to a chat agent.

https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Hi lorram,

This issue can occur due to some issues with the e-mail settings in Mozilla Thunderbird. The link given below has the complete steps to verify AT&T email settings in Mozilla Thunderbird.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401769

In case the issue persists, please contact the AT&T eChat helpdesk.You may click on the following link to connect to a chat agent.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

12 of 50 (520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2009 3:20:58 PM
(0)
Employee

Hi neeservices,

This issue can occur due to some issues with the e-mail settings in Outlook. The steps to verify the settings in Outlook is given in the link below.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401568

If the issue persists, please feel free to contact the AT&T eChat helpdesk.You may click on the following link to connect to a chat agent.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple

Hi neeservices,

This issue can occur due to some issues with the e-mail settings in Outlook. The steps to verify the settings in Outlook is given in the link below.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401568

If the issue persists, please feel free to contact the AT&T eChat helpdesk.You may click on the following link to connect to a chat agent.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

13 of 50 (520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2009 6:56:26 AM
(0)
Contributor
Lucretia, does that mean that ATT changed the POP and SMTP server adress ? The adress I'm using is ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net and imailhost.worldnet.att.net. And I had no issues with those until October. Our Phones (Windows mobile and Iphone) work fine with ipostoffice and imailhost, but they are on an ATT/Cingular network. Will try your suggestion, but have not much hope though. Thx
Lucretia, does that mean that ATT changed the POP and SMTP server adress ? The adress I'm using is ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net and imailhost.worldnet.att.net. And I had no issues with those until October. Our Phones (Windows mobile and Iphone) work fine with ipostoffice and imailhost, but they are on an ATT/Cingular network. Will try your suggestion, but have not much hope though. Thx

14 of 50 (520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2009 7:29:46 AM
(0)
Tutor
I changed the settings, it didn't work, changed everything back and it did. Shortly after, it stopped and said I was being temporarily blocked for "abuse." The web site says it only blocks for a short time. So I'm hoping it gets resolved soon.
I changed the settings, it didn't work, changed everything back and it did. Shortly after, it stopped and said I was being temporarily blocked for "abuse." The web site says it only blocks for a short time. So I'm hoping it gets resolved soon.

15 of 50 (520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2009 7:53:44 AM
(0)
Tutor

My issue was (at least for now) resolved by cycling my DSL modem and getting a new IP address. But as I hear more of these stories, I'm beginning to think that the old-timer, att.net users (like myself) are getting lost somewhere in the shuffle of account management.

Consider that the att.yahoo.com mail servers don't work for many of us, and we cannot login to the new att.net webmail solution that is now pointing at yahoo.

It would be prudent for ATT service and support to take a deeper look into the configuration of some of our accounts and stop sending us down the "settings path". That's exactly what the service folks on chat want to do as well. There is overwhelming evidence that this is not a settings problem on our clients.

My issue was (at least for now) resolved by cycling my DSL modem and getting a new IP address. But as I hear more of these stories, I'm beginning to think that the old-timer, att.net users (like myself) are getting lost somewhere in the shuffle of account management.

Consider that the att.yahoo.com mail servers don't work for many of us, and we cannot login to the new att.net webmail solution that is now pointing at yahoo.

It would be prudent for ATT service and support to take a deeper look into the configuration of some of our accounts and stop sending us down the "settings path". That's exactly what the service folks on chat want to do as well. There is overwhelming evidence that this is not a settings problem on our clients.

16 of 50 (520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2009 8:05:11 AM
(0)
Tutor
Just got off the phone with Customer Support. Basically just told me that they are aware of the problem and are working on a solution. Guess there is nothing we can do but wait.
Just got off the phone with Customer Support. Basically just told me that they are aware of the problem and are working on a solution. Guess there is nothing we can do but wait.

17 of 50 (520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2009 11:38:14 AM
(0)
Contributor
I guess I can consider myself lucky, since magically the e-mail accounts seem to work again with NO changes on my side whatsoever. So that leads me to the conclusion that, right or wrong, ATT has some issues migrating the mail servers / web servers from old ATT to Yahoo ATT, without breaking the old accounts or messing up the spam filtering / Domain blocking. So, for those with Worldnet accounts there seems to be a good chance that you can just wait it out (ATT would probably not acknowledge that they have / had problems). Cheers
I guess I can consider myself lucky, since magically the e-mail accounts seem to work again with NO changes on my side whatsoever. So that leads me to the conclusion that, right or wrong, ATT has some issues migrating the mail servers / web servers from old ATT to Yahoo ATT, without breaking the old accounts or messing up the spam filtering / Domain blocking. So, for those with Worldnet accounts there seems to be a good chance that you can just wait it out (ATT would probably not acknowledge that they have / had problems). Cheers

18 of 50 (520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2009 2:56:26 PM
(0)
Tutor
I'm not so lucky here. According to technical support servers are still down. I guess this is ATT's way of encouraging long term customers to leave so that they can migrate their servers more easily. 4 days now and each day a promise by technical support that it will be fixed in 24 hours. This is nonsense. I'll migrate to Comcast.
I'm not so lucky here. According to technical support servers are still down. I guess this is ATT's way of encouraging long term customers to leave so that they can migrate their servers more easily. 4 days now and each day a promise by technical support that it will be fixed in 24 hours. This is nonsense. I'll migrate to Comcast.

19 of 50 (520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2009 7:09:08 PM
(0)
Tutor
What crap service these people offer. Over a week now and no one there knows anything. Just vague promises that someone, in some god forsaken crap hole country is looking into it. This is over a week now. What is wrong with these people!
What crap service these people offer. Over a week now and no one there knows anything. Just vague promises that someone, in some god forsaken crap hole country is looking into it. This is over a week now. What is wrong with these people!

20 of 50 (520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2009 10:48:15 PM
(0)
Teacher
Well I just spent 45 patient mins on the phone to AT&T support and got nowhere. No matter how often I told them it looks like a problem with their outgoing smtp server (or IP address blocking) they insisted on repeatedly walking me through setup/settings of my email client (Vista Windows Mail). Aaaaaargh! They eventually gave up and gave me a number for "AT&T Support Plus" (866-294-3464, 6am-8pm PCT). I'll call them tomorrow, but I'm not expecting much progress. If things don't get resolved in the next few days then I have a quick fix... move to an ISP who knows what they are doing (e.g. Sonic.net) :smileyhappy: Cheers, Colin.
Well I just spent 45 patient mins on the phone to AT&T support and got nowhere. No matter how often I told them it looks like a problem with their outgoing smtp server (or IP address blocking) they insisted on repeatedly walking me through setup/settings of my email client (Vista Windows Mail). Aaaaaargh! They eventually gave up and gave me a number for "AT&T Support Plus" (866-294-3464, 6am-8pm PCT). I'll call them tomorrow, but I'm not expecting much progress. If things don't get resolved in the next few days then I have a quick fix... move to an ISP who knows what they are doing (e.g. Sonic.net) :smileyhappy: Cheers, Colin.

21 of 50 (506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2009 10:01:47 AM
(0)
Teacher
What a farce.... I called that "Support Plus" number only to find out it's a charge-for support center (i.e. they want me to dig out my credit card and charge me a small fortune for the previlege of telling them there is a problem with THEIR netrwork/servers). Hmmm. Think I'll head to my local AT&T shop ask them who I really need to speak to, and if they can't help then move to a decent ISP
What a farce.... I called that "Support Plus" number only to find out it's a charge-for support center (i.e. they want me to dig out my credit card and charge me a small fortune for the previlege of telling them there is a problem with THEIR netrwork/servers). Hmmm. Think I'll head to my local AT&T shop ask them who I really need to speak to, and if they can't help then move to a decent ISP

22 of 50 (506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2009 10:25:12 AM
(0)
Employee

Given that all the settings in your email client are correct, and no changes have been made,  all you need to do is to restart the internet connection to correct the problem.  Once the connection is restarted, you should be able to send/receive email via your email client.

How to properly  powercycle/restart your modem:

Turn off your modem for 2 full minutes, then turn it back on. Once the lights are lit up on the modem, try to visit a couple of websites to verify your internet connection. Then try to send/receive using your email client.

If you have a router set up on your network:

Turn off modem and router for 2 full minutes, then turn on the modem first. Once the DSL light is solid green on the modem, turn on the router. Verify your internet connection by visiting websites. Then try to send/receive using your email client.

Note: Don't forget to restart your computer as well.

Given that all the settings in your email client are correct, and no changes have been made,  all you need to do is to restart the internet connection to correct the problem.  Once the connection is restarted, you should be able to send/receive email via your email client.

How to properly  powercycle/restart your modem:

Turn off your modem for 2 full minutes, then turn it back on. Once the lights are lit up on the modem, try to visit a couple of websites to verify your internet connection. Then try to send/receive using your email client.

If you have a router set up on your network:

Turn off modem and router for 2 full minutes, then turn on the modem first. Once the DSL light is solid green on the modem, turn on the router. Verify your internet connection by visiting websites. Then try to send/receive using your email client.

Note: Don't forget to restart your computer as well.

23 of 50 (506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2009 1:36:12 PM
(0)
Employee

Hello,

This issue can be best resolved by contacting the AT&T Worldnet department.

Please call AT&T Worldnet department at 800-400-1447.

I am sure they will take care of this issue.:smileyhappy:

Hello,

This issue can be best resolved by contacting the AT&T Worldnet department.

Please call AT&T Worldnet department at 800-400-1447.

I am sure they will take care of this issue.:smileyhappy:

24 of 50 (506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2009 3:06:33 PM
(0)
Teacher
Larry, I did power off/on my dsl router, but probably left it off for only 30secs. I'll try a full 2+ mins this evening (plus reboot the PC, cross fingers, etc) and see if that helps. Thanks, Colin.
Larry, I did power off/on my dsl router, but probably left it off for only 30secs. I'll try a full 2+ mins this evening (plus reboot the PC, cross fingers, etc) and see if that helps. Thanks, Colin.

25 of 50 (506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2009 2:36:02 PM
(0)
Teacher
Well I powered my 2wire DSL router off for 10 mins (and verified it picked up a new IP Address), rebooted my laptop, powered the router back on, fired up Windows Mail... and still can't send email from it. :smileysad: ... think I'll be switching over to another ISP soon.
Well I powered my 2wire DSL router off for 10 mins (and verified it picked up a new IP Address), rebooted my laptop, powered the router back on, fired up Windows Mail... and still can't send email from it. :smileysad: ... think I'll be switching over to another ISP soon.

26 of 50 (506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2009 5:51:28 PM
(0)
Contributor
I've been experiencing a keystoke slowdown on my emails as I create them right about the same time you began with your troubles. The ATT/Yahoo is the only site I experience this (I have other email accouts). I have tried everything indeed. It is obviously a problem with ATT. Suspiciously coincides with their bloody slow-loading ads. Useless effin company.
I've been experiencing a keystoke slowdown on my emails as I create them right about the same time you began with your troubles. The ATT/Yahoo is the only site I experience this (I have other email accouts). I have tried everything indeed. It is obviously a problem with ATT. Suspiciously coincides with their bloody slow-loading ads. Useless effin company.

27 of 50 (506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2009 5:52:25 PM
(0)
Contributor
Oh, and 2Wire hardware?? Seriously ATT - you can't do better than that? Rubbish.
Oh, and 2Wire hardware?? Seriously ATT - you can't do better than that? Rubbish.

28 of 50 (506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2009 4:50:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

After a dozen calls to whatever the god forsaken place it is that does ATT support, I was given a case number and my problem was moved on to a higher level with a promise that they would call back and fix the problem within 24 hours. That's been 5 days now. They haven't called and when I call them AGAIN they have no idea what's going on, although they have admitted it's their outgoing smtp server. We knew that two weeks ago. What a joke these people are. I'm switching to Comcast for email (they've offered really good high speed internet access for the last 12 or so years), but this has become such a joke I want to follow up with ATT until they fix it. Then I'll drop them (I guess after 14 years it's time).

After a dozen calls to whatever the god forsaken place it is that does ATT support, I was given a case number and my problem was moved on to a higher level with a promise that they would call back and fix the problem within 24 hours. That's been 5 days now. They haven't called and when I call them AGAIN they have no idea what's going on, although they have admitted it's their outgoing smtp server. We knew that two weeks ago. What a joke these people are. I'm switching to Comcast for email (they've offered really good high speed internet access for the last 12 or so years), but this has become such a joke I want to follow up with ATT until they fix it. Then I'll drop them (I guess after 14 years it's time).

29 of 50 (506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2009 5:03:34 PM
(0)
Tutor
colinu > have you already tried to delete and recreate your Windows Mail application? The last resort is to delete and recreate your Windows Mail with teh right settings. Hope this helps.:smileyhappy:
colinu > have you already tried to delete and recreate your Windows Mail application? The last resort is to delete and recreate your Windows Mail with teh right settings. Hope this helps.:smileyhappy:

30 of 50 (506 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments