Internet Forums

Posted May 12, 2012
9:51:55 AM
View profile
Old 2701HG to PACE DSL Gateway Model 4111N or Netgear DSL Gateway Model 7550

Hi there.

I want to switch from my 2701HG modem that doesn't support wireless N, to PACE DSL or Netgear DSL that does support wireless N. But I want to keep the same plan I have right now.

I have a ASUS RT-N56U router which I hope will speed up the connection in terms of uploading videos to YouTube and downloading big files. My computer will also be recieving a wireless N adapter as the adapter inside it doesn't support wireless N. My Internet plan currently has download speed at 6.0 Mbps and upload speed at 512 Kbps.

Am I right about the ASUS RT-N56U speeding up my connection? Will I be to keep my same plan if I switch to a new router from the AT&T Store? And if I do switch over to the wireless N modems and get a wireless N adapter for my computer, will it have a faster connection than what I have now?

Please help. :\

Hi there.

I want to switch from my 2701HG modem that doesn't support wireless N, to PACE DSL or Netgear DSL that does support wireless N. But I want to keep the same plan I have right now.

I have a ASUS RT-N56U router which I hope will speed up the connection in terms of uploading videos to YouTube and downloading big files. My computer will also be recieving a wireless N adapter as the adapter inside it doesn't support wireless N. My Internet plan currently has download speed at 6.0 Mbps and upload speed at 512 Kbps.

Am I right about the ASUS RT-N56U speeding up my connection? Will I be to keep my same plan if I switch to a new router from the AT&T Store? And if I do switch over to the wireless N modems and get a wireless N adapter for my computer, will it have a faster connection than what I have now?

Please help. :\

Old 2701HG to PACE DSL Gateway Model 4111N or Netgear DSL Gateway Model 7550

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2012 9:59:36 AM
(0)
Contributor

Also, if possible, please tell me if there are any better modems that will increase my speed considerably and if I can still keep the same plan.

Also, if possible, please tell me if there are any better modems that will increase my speed considerably and if I can still keep the same plan.

Re: Old 2701HG to PACE DSL Gateway Model 4111N or Netgear DSL Gateway Model 7550

2 of 5 (4,038 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2012 3:50:03 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by waltc on May 17, 2012 at 4:01:56 PM

When you are dealing with wireless devices, the kind of "speed up" you might expect is dependent on several factors that can change daily.  Theoretically you should see a communications speedup between your N modem and your N wireless device.  But, say there's interference of some kind, your modem and device will often automatically drop back to a lower speed, but a speed at which reliable communication can take place.  You would hope for N speeds, of course, but the reality might be much less.  It's because of wireless communication characteristics-- it's the way wireless works.

If you want something far faster than N, even, but far more predictable, you should consider using a wired connection instead of wireless.  Variability of wired ethernet is far less than wireless in general, and performance is much better than N--it's just not portable, of course...:smileywink:

Also, remember that only the speed of your wireless device as it synchronizes with your modem/gateway, is what is affected by a move to N wireless devices.  The speed of your Internet connection, I believe you said 6mbs down--is not affected at all.  Whether you go wireless N or wired ethernet, the speed increase will only be seen in your local connection.  Again, for the fastest and most reliable connection, go wired ethernet.  But if you have to have portability, then just realize the connection speed between your N modem/gateway and your wireless device or computer can literally change every day.  Whatever security mode you choose in the link between your wireless device and your modem/gateway will also affect the connection speed--as in security settings generally slow things down--but you *have* to have security if you go wireless.  Do not think otherwise!  In wireless, much is dependent on your local conditions, and much can change contrasted to wired ethernet, which will always provide better performance and be far less susceptible to external conditions, such as interference, etc.

When you are dealing with wireless devices, the kind of "speed up" you might expect is dependent on several factors that can change daily.  Theoretically you should see a communications speedup between your N modem and your N wireless device.  But, say there's interference of some kind, your modem and device will often automatically drop back to a lower speed, but a speed at which reliable communication can take place.  You would hope for N speeds, of course, but the reality might be much less.  It's because of wireless communication characteristics-- it's the way wireless works.

If you want something far faster than N, even, but far more predictable, you should consider using a wired connection instead of wireless.  Variability of wired ethernet is far less than wireless in general, and performance is much better than N--it's just not portable, of course...:smileywink:

Also, remember that only the speed of your wireless device as it synchronizes with your modem/gateway, is what is affected by a move to N wireless devices.  The speed of your Internet connection, I believe you said 6mbs down--is not affected at all.  Whether you go wireless N or wired ethernet, the speed increase will only be seen in your local connection.  Again, for the fastest and most reliable connection, go wired ethernet.  But if you have to have portability, then just realize the connection speed between your N modem/gateway and your wireless device or computer can literally change every day.  Whatever security mode you choose in the link between your wireless device and your modem/gateway will also affect the connection speed--as in security settings generally slow things down--but you *have* to have security if you go wireless.  Do not think otherwise!  In wireless, much is dependent on your local conditions, and much can change contrasted to wired ethernet, which will always provide better performance and be far less susceptible to external conditions, such as interference, etc.

Re: Old 2701HG to PACE DSL Gateway Model 4111N or Netgear DSL Gateway Model 7550

[ Edited ]
3 of 5 (3,900 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2012 6:29:19 PM
(0)
Contributor

So to clarify, I could buy the PACE DSL Gateway or Netgear DSL Gateway, connect it to my computer using a wired cable, and it will be faster? Whereas going wireless will just dumb down the speed?

So to clarify, I could buy the PACE DSL Gateway or Netgear DSL Gateway, connect it to my computer using a wired cable, and it will be faster? Whereas going wireless will just dumb down the speed?

4 of 5 (3,888 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2012 9:08:13 AM
(0)
Tutor

Again, whether you go wireless or wired, your 6mbs down Internet connection speed will not change.  If you do not have to go wireless, then I would recommend a wired ethernet connection for all the computers on your network (if you have more than one box at home.)  Wired ethernet will be as a rule much faster *for your local network* than even wireless N and will have few if any problems comparatively.  The tradeoff is, of course, the wire...:smileywink:

Again, whether you go wireless or wired, your 6mbs down Internet connection speed will not change.  If you do not have to go wireless, then I would recommend a wired ethernet connection for all the computers on your network (if you have more than one box at home.)  Wired ethernet will be as a rule much faster *for your local network* than even wireless N and will have few if any problems comparatively.  The tradeoff is, of course, the wire...:smileywink:

5 of 5 (3,873 Views)