Helpful Links

No DSL light on my modem

Contributor

No DSL light on my modem

I ordered AT&T DSL service several weeks ago and my service was SUPPOSED to start on December 13th after 8 PM. (The reason I had to wait 3 weeks for service is because the rep I ordered the service with told me that was the earliest anyone could come out to "connect" the service...or whatever they do.)

On Dec. 13th I get the self install package, wait until 8 PM and low and behold, the DSL light doesn't come on AT ALL. No red light, no flashing light...nothing! I tried everything tech support told me to do during the 7 calls I made. I was also passed around from department to department several times and everyone had a different "solution" to the problem. Of course, none of them worked (I even took the modem to every phone jack in my house, as instructed more than once, and still got nothing).

Yesterday morning I talked to a guy who said that the order to connect was "delayed" but it didn't say why in the system. He put me on hold for like 20 mins and finally told me that someone hadn't actually connected the service to my house because of weather problems in the area (there were no weather probs that I know of...???) and that someone would be out no later than 12 PM that day and that I would have service by 5 PM.

Can you guess what happened when I got home yesterday? If you guessed nothing, then you'd be right! I still had the same problem. So, I called again and that guy told me that the order was "completed" in the system as of that day at around 1 PM. Ummm...no. I still had (and still have) NO SERVICE. The DSL light on my modem is still off...not flashing, not red, nothing at all. I even went out and exchanged my pervious modem (which is an ATT modem) for another one b/c the tech support guy said it could be the modem. It wasn't...the new modem also has no DSL light. So the final tech person I talked to put me on hold for another extreme amount of time while he "contacted a service place in my area". When he came back he said that someone would come out between Wednesday and Saturday and I will know when it's completed because the DSL light will come on the modem.

This is so frustrating!! If this problem isn't fixed by Saturday evening I'm canceling the service and going back to my cable. I will pay much more for cable, but at least it worked!!!!

~Sarah (Slidell, LA)

Message 1 of 3

Re: No DSL light on my modem

Hello wicksarahe,

I extend my gratitude to you for contacting us about this issue through the forums and please, accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you have experienced.

Getting a red light would indicate that there is no DSL signal reaching you modem. If the DSL order is completed, the DSL light on the modem would normally be solid green.

If ever the order is already completed but your modem still shows no light for the DSL, then it may be a line issue. Please follow this link for basic troubleshooting for connectivity issues.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB403006 . If this doesn't work, we need to run tests for your DSL lines and also contact our line technicians and see if reseting the ports would help.

If everything else fail , we would be sending out a technician to resolve the issue.

I highly recommend that you wait for the technician so they can check your DSL lines and then resolve it.

Should you need further help regarding your post, please feel free to reply on this thread or you may call our Technical Support Helpdesk. You may reach them at 1 888 321 2375 if you are from these states - KY, TN, NC, SC, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL; and 1 877 722 3755 if you are located in CA, NV, KS, MO, OK, AR, TX, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, CT.

For quick answers, make the new AT&T Help site your first stop. Visit http://www.att.com/esupport/ where you'll find pages of product information to assist you.

Thank you for choosing AT&T where we value your Business.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 2 of 3
Highlighted

Re: No DSL light on my modem

Sarah,

Is your problem solved? I am just curious, if it is solved you are lucky. 

[Post edited, please read your PM's - double posting is not permitted per Guidelines] - moderator

Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues, we are here to chat!

Additional Support