Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Oct 3, 2009
3:54:13 PM
View profile
New to AT&T - Email client: can't get outgoing server settings working
Hi Folks, I'm new to AT&T (in fact I'm new to the USA!). I signed up for AT&T home internet and it was activated yesterday. I have my own domain name and associated email addresses. I do not want to use AT&T's webmail interface, insted I use want to use clients such as Outlook or Windows Mail (Vista). First task is to configure my wife's Window's Mail (previously used Comcast and had no trouble configuring it for their outgoing mail server). I've configured the outgoing server as follows: smtp.att.yahoo.com port 465 requires SSL requires authentication (and using my AT&T login name/password - my wife does not have an AT&T account) However, when I try to send email from that account I get an error (full details below). I think it is saying the authentication info is not that of a verified user (or there is a clash between that and the email address the mail is being sent from). What am I doing wrong??? Thanks for any advice you folks can offer. Regards, Colin. The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider. The rejected e-mail address was 'claire@theurquharts.net'. Subject 'Re: Halloween Costume Exchange this Sunday!!', Account: 'mail.eclipse.co.uk', Server: 'smtp.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '553 From address not verified - see http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/manage/sendfrom-07.html', Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 553, Error Number: 0x800CCC78
Hi Folks, I'm new to AT&T (in fact I'm new to the USA!). I signed up for AT&T home internet and it was activated yesterday. I have my own domain name and associated email addresses. I do not want to use AT&T's webmail interface, insted I use want to use clients such as Outlook or Windows Mail (Vista). First task is to configure my wife's Window's Mail (previously used Comcast and had no trouble configuring it for their outgoing mail server). I've configured the outgoing server as follows: smtp.att.yahoo.com port 465 requires SSL requires authentication (and using my AT&T login name/password - my wife does not have an AT&T account) However, when I try to send email from that account I get an error (full details below). I think it is saying the authentication info is not that of a verified user (or there is a clash between that and the email address the mail is being sent from). What am I doing wrong??? Thanks for any advice you folks can offer. Regards, Colin. The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider. The rejected e-mail address was 'claire@theurquharts.net'. Subject 'Re: Halloween Costume Exchange this Sunday!!', Account: 'mail.eclipse.co.uk', Server: 'smtp.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '553 From address not verified - see http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/manage/sendfrom-07.html', Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 553, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

New to AT&T - Email client: can't get outgoing server settings working

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2009 8:35:49 AM
(0)
Guru
hi colinu!

so you have your wife's email account @theurquharts.net setup under Windows Mail, but unable to send out and gets error 553, right?

from the setting you provided above, everything is correct. also, since she does not have her own @att.net account, it is okay to authenticate using your primary @att.net ID and pword.

to fix error 553, you need to verify her non-att email ID @theurquharts.net under your AT&T email address so that you can use the AT&T Yahoo!'s outgoing mail server settings.

how to:
1. login using your AT&T email ID at att.yahoo.com/mail website.
2. click on OPTIONS (upper-right corner) --> MAIL OPTIONS --> select ACCOUNTS.
3. then add your wife's complete @theurquharts.net account.
4. a confirmation code will be sent to the @theurquharts.net account to complete the process.
5. once verified, you can start sending out emails using the @theurquharts.net ID thru the AT&T Yahoo! server.
NOTE: all non-AT&T email IDs need to be verified under your AT&T account to successfully send out emails thru the AT&T network.

you may click on the link below to get a detailed instruction on how to verify the @theurquharts.net account:
FIX ERROR 553, VERIFYING NON-ATT EMAIL ID

hope this helps! :smileyhappy:
hi colinu!

so you have your wife's email account @theurquharts.net setup under Windows Mail, but unable to send out and gets error 553, right?

from the setting you provided above, everything is correct. also, since she does not have her own @att.net account, it is okay to authenticate using your primary @att.net ID and pword.

to fix error 553, you need to verify her non-att email ID @theurquharts.net under your AT&T email address so that you can use the AT&T Yahoo!'s outgoing mail server settings.

how to:
1. login using your AT&T email ID at att.yahoo.com/mail website.
2. click on OPTIONS (upper-right corner) --> MAIL OPTIONS --> select ACCOUNTS.
3. then add your wife's complete @theurquharts.net account.
4. a confirmation code will be sent to the @theurquharts.net account to complete the process.
5. once verified, you can start sending out emails using the @theurquharts.net ID thru the AT&T Yahoo! server.
NOTE: all non-AT&T email IDs need to be verified under your AT&T account to successfully send out emails thru the AT&T network.

you may click on the link below to get a detailed instruction on how to verify the @theurquharts.net account:
FIX ERROR 553, VERIFYING NON-ATT EMAIL ID

hope this helps! :smileyhappy:

Re: New to AT&T - Email client: can't get outgoing server settings working

2 of 4 (777 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2009 9:34:42 PM
(0)
Teacher
Akee, Thanks for the help. It worked! Now my wife is able to send email... and is VERY happy :smileyhappy: Cheers, Colin
Akee, Thanks for the help. It worked! Now my wife is able to send email... and is VERY happy :smileyhappy: Cheers, Colin

Re: New to AT&T - Email client: can't get outgoing server settings working

3 of 4 (777 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2009 7:11:22 PM
(0)
Guru
glad it worked! :smileyhappy:
akee
glad it worked! :smileyhappy:
akee