Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Mar 6, 2012
10:05:45 AM
Network connection problems with laptop

We just got DSL in our home, and have the Linksys WRT110 wireless router. We followed the instructions on how to bridge our Motorola 2210 (Silver) modem to work with the router. We have two desktops (Windows 7 is wired and XP is wireless), and 1 laptop (Windows 7) connected to our wireless network. The two desktops work fine, but when the laptop starts to connect we lose the network connection. Although the Modem shows we still have a DSL connection, no computers can connect to the internet. After a few minutes the network reconnects and all computers are able to get online. Is there a setting I need to adjust on the laptop to prevent this from happening everytime?

We just got DSL in our home, and have the Linksys WRT110 wireless router. We followed the instructions on how to bridge our Motorola 2210 (Silver) modem to work with the router. We have two desktops (Windows 7 is wired and XP is wireless), and 1 laptop (Windows 7) connected to our wireless network. The two desktops work fine, but when the laptop starts to connect we lose the network connection. Although the Modem shows we still have a DSL connection, no computers can connect to the internet. After a few minutes the network reconnects and all computers are able to get online. Is there a setting I need to adjust on the laptop to prevent this from happening everytime?

Network connection problems with laptop

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2012 8:08:01 AM
(0)
Tutor

I can restart the XP computer and the network is fine, when I restart either the laptop or desktop with Windows 7 I lose network connection on all computers for several minutes. When the network first comes back up it shows unknown network with no internet connection. Only when it shows the name of my network listed as home network do I reconnect to the internet. Has anybody else had this problem connecting Windows 7 to a network?

I can restart the XP computer and the network is fine, when I restart either the laptop or desktop with Windows 7 I lose network connection on all computers for several minutes. When the network first comes back up it shows unknown network with no internet connection. Only when it shows the name of my network listed as home network do I reconnect to the internet. Has anybody else had this problem connecting Windows 7 to a network?

Re: Network connection problems with laptop

2 of 7 (593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2012 4:06:57 PM
(0)
Contributor

Wish I could help but you are farther along than I am!  Where did you find the instructions for bridging the 2210 modem?  Thanks in advance.

Wish I could help but you are farther along than I am!  Where did you find the instructions for bridging the 2210 modem?  Thanks in advance.

3 of 7 (558 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2012 11:10:53 PM
(0)
Tutor

I found the instructions on how to bridge my modem by typing in "How to bridge modem" in the search bar in the upper right corner on att.com. Then I clicked on "Connecting a non-AT&T provided router to your AT&T Internet connection". On the next screen I clicked the blue link "How to set up home networking and enable bridge mode" However, now that I have bridged the modem, I can't connect to the modem's interface page using the IP address that was provided.  I have not really worked on that problem because my network works great as long as the laptop isn't powered up. For some unknown reason my laptop disconnects the network. After a few minutes the laptop connects to the network and then all computers can connect. I think it may be more along the lines of an IP conflict, but not sure.

I found the instructions on how to bridge my modem by typing in "How to bridge modem" in the search bar in the upper right corner on att.com. Then I clicked on "Connecting a non-AT&T provided router to your AT&T Internet connection". On the next screen I clicked the blue link "How to set up home networking and enable bridge mode" However, now that I have bridged the modem, I can't connect to the modem's interface page using the IP address that was provided.  I have not really worked on that problem because my network works great as long as the laptop isn't powered up. For some unknown reason my laptop disconnects the network. After a few minutes the laptop connects to the network and then all computers can connect. I think it may be more along the lines of an IP conflict, but not sure.

4 of 7 (489 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2012 4:43:36 AM
(0)
Master

Turn off "Home Group" in WIN 7 and make sure your network connection in WIN 7 is set to private or home. Turn on network discovery as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Turn off "Home Group" in WIN 7 and make sure your network connection in WIN 7 is set to private or home. Turn on network discovery as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

5 of 7 (487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2012 8:05:52 PM
(0)
Tutor
done this, didn't work. All computers still get disconnected from the internet while laptop is starting up.
done this, didn't work. All computers still get disconnected from the internet while laptop is starting up.

6 of 7 (459 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2012 7:24:26 AM
(0)
Tutor

Problem solved for now, daughter moved out with the laptop. Never did figure outwhy it would shut my network down for several minutes.

Problem solved for now, daughter moved out with the laptop. Never did figure outwhy it would shut my network down for several minutes.

7 of 7 (410 Views)