My router gets the red light

Tutor

My router gets the red light

This usually happens at night, like around 6 or 7. It's not the blinking red light, just in case you were wondering. This gets very annoying, because around this time, I'm usually on my Xbox Live account playing a game online, and it kicks me off of Live every time the red light appears. Sometimes, the light would appear again in just five minutes or so. Yesterday, the red light kept on appearing every two or three minutes for half an hour. It was very, very annoying. How do I know what the problem is, or how do I solve it?
Message 1 of 17 (37,289 Views)
Employee

Re: My router gets the red light

[ Edited ]

Hello sogar, I truly appreciate that you took your valuable time to let us know that you are experiencing intermittent connectivity issue with your AT&T Internet services and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced. Intermittent loss of you connection to the internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things: General Internet Traffic - When many people are online at the same time, speeds across the Internet may slow down and drop the DSL signals on DSL line. For example, if many people check their e-mail early on Monday morning, overall Internet speeds may be affected. Cordless phones and other electronic devices are the most common cause of intermittent Internet connectivity issues. Cordless phone systems running at 2.4 GHz often run at the same frequency as your DSL modem or home networking router. If you are experiencing intermittent connectivity issues, you may need to replace your cordless phone with one that runs at a different frequency. Large metal objects and electrical equipment such as televisions, home entertainment electronics, and microwaves can also cause interference. Try to keep your DSL modem and wireless home networking router away from these sources of electronic interference. Check with your neighbor. You may both be running wireless networks at the same frequency. The solution may be as easy as changing the channel of your wireless router. Physical obstructions such as walls, floors, home entertainment electronics, appliances and furniture can cause interference if the wireless signals have to pass through them. Move your DSL modem or wireless home networking router to another location so it isn't in the line-of-sight of these potential interference factors. Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things: Your phone jack may be defective or damaged. Try connecting the modem to a different phone jack, if possible. If the hiss and background noise is gone, the initial phone jack is defective and should be replaced.Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things: The RJ-11 phone cord that connects your modem to the phone jack may be damaged and need replacing. If your phone cord is over 14 feet long, the signal may be weakened sufficiently that it is intermittently lost.Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things: DSL filters are needed on all phone devices except the DSL modem. If you have more than one phone line entering your home, DSL filters should also be installed on the second line, even if it is not connected to your DSL equipment. Phone ringing disconnects DSL service If your DSL service is disconnecting when your phone rings, you probably have a phone somewhere in the house/office that doesn't have a DSL filter installed between the phone and the wall jack. Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things: The inside phone wiring in your home may also cause intermittent loss of the DSL signal. Shorts, grounds, poor line quality, etc. can degrade the DSL signal.

If the issue persists, we recommend you contact a representative during a live chat session with one of our tech support experts. Simply click on the link below to be redirected to the correct page.

AT&T DSL Support Chat

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 17 (37,288 Views)
Tutor

It actually gets the red blinking light, if that changes anything.
Message 3 of 17 (37,288 Views)
Tutor

We do have wireless phones at our house btw, and I have one right next to my router, but for some reason, I doubt that's the problem, since the red lights seems to only occur at night.
Message 4 of 17 (37,288 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]

Hello sogar,

I am sorry that you had to go through this unpleasant experience and I apologize for the inconvenience that you are facing with this issue.

I would like to inform you that, intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
  • Cordless phones and other electronic devices are the most common cause of intermittent Internet connectivity issues. Cordless phone systems running at 2.4 GHz often run at the same frequency as your DSL modem or home networking router. If you are experiencing intermittent connectivity issues, you may need to replace your cordless phone with one that runs at a different frequency.
  • Large metal objects and electrical equipment such as televisions, home entertainment electronics, and microwaves can also cause interference. Try to keep your DSL modem and wireless home networking router away from these sources of electronic interference.
  • Check with your neighbor. You may both be running wireless networks at the same frequency. The solution may be as easy as changing the channel of your wireless router.
  • Physical obstructions such as walls, floors, home entertainment electronics, appliances and furniture can cause interference if the wireless signals have to pass through them. Move your DSL modem or wireless home networking router to another location so it isn't in the line-of-sight of these potential interference factors. Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
  • Your phone jack may be defective or damaged. Try connecting the modem to a different phone jack, if possible. If the hiss and background noise is gone, the initial phone jack is defective and should be replaced.Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
  • The RJ-11 phone cord that connects your modem to the phone jack may be damaged and need replacing. If your phone cord is over 14 feet long, the signal may be weakened sufficiently that it is intermittently lost.Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
  • DSL filters are needed on all phone devices except the DSL modem. If you have more than one phone line entering your home, DSL filters should also be installed on the second line, even if it is not connected to your DSL equipment.
  • Phone ringing disconnects DSL service If your DSL service is disconnecting when your phone rings, you probably have a phone somewhere in the house/office that doesn't have a DSL filter installed between the phone and the wall jack. Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
  • The inside phone wiring in your home may also cause intermittent loss of the DSL signal. Shorts, grounds, poor line quality, etc. can degrade the DSL signal.

In order to reach our DSL Support chat for further assistance, simply click on the link below.

AT&T DSL Support Chat

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 17 (37,288 Views)
Contributor

sounds like you're having the exact same problem as me. I've been reading a few other posts about ppl having similar problems and also read a few of the responses to these issues. Its the same list of procedures every time too. I have yet to read about a real solution to this. I've talked to 3 different "techs" on the phone and, while they were very friendly and helpful, they were not able to find a problem with my connection. How would they? It only happens every so often. But isn't that the most annoying part about it? That its so sporadic and inconsistent? I thought at first that it had something to do with Xbox live, but everything gets dropped out. My Droid, my girlfriends laptop, and if I'm on, my Xbox live connection. I'm considering switching over to cable after all this.

Message 6 of 17 (37,288 Views)
Contributor

oh, and also...I don't even have a house phone in my place. Nor is the modem placed next to any electrical devices. It's on top of a small dresser in my bedroom. Same place its been for months. So that rules out the whole EMI thing. I had a feeling it might have been my phone line, but now that I see so many other ppl are having the same problem, I'm not so sure.

Message 7 of 17 (37,288 Views)
Employee

Hello Atorres1986,

Please, accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

If you already checked for all the cables and EMI device (whether they are connected properly or not) and still if you are getting the same intermittent connection issue, I would suggest you to contact AT&T tier 2 support at 1-877-722-3755 (open 24/7) and troubleshoot according to their recommendation.

I regret all the uncertainty you have experienced.

Employee Contributor*
Message 8 of 17 (37,288 Views)
Tutor

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this Atorres. The connection was good for about a week (no annoying blinking red light) until today. Around 6 o clock at night, the red light started again, it happened every goddamn 3 minutes for about an hour. Then it slowed down. AT&T, you guys REALLY need to get this **bleep** fixed.

Message 9 of 17 (37,289 Views)
Contributor

Oh trust me, you're definately NOT the only one. My whole neighborhood is being plagued by terrible internet. Every single person with a 2wire router gets the blinking red light ALL THE TIME. I can't play warcraft, my neighbors can't check their email. Note that we all own our own router but we have the same problems. I'm surprised I can get to this page. AT&T is just out to steal people's money by overcharging for their LACK of service. we currently pay over $60 a month to receive absolutely no internet. Our dsl current barely functions below 0.25%. that's right. 0.25%.

Message 10 of 17 (37,290 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]

Hello sogar,

If you are still experiencing the intermittent connection issue, we encourage you to get in touch with a tech support representative during a live chat session. To do so, click the link below!

AT&T DSL Support Chat

Employee Contributor*
Message 11 of 17 (41,420 Views)
Employee

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

I would like to explain that if the DSL light is flashing red on the 2 Wire router this indicates that 2 Wire modem has failed to sync.

If you are using a landline phone, please check that all telephones using the DSL TN are connected to a DSL line filter. If the the Land line phone and filters are connected and working fine, please also try to hard reset the 2 Wire router. 2 Wire has a reset button on the button on the back, use a paper clip or similar sized object to press the button for 3 to 5 seconds and hard reset the modem.

Please, also verify that the other end of the RJ-11 telephone cable is connected securely to the wall jack or the correct side of the Dual In-Line Filter which should be labeled DSL/HPNA. Verify that one end of the RJ-11 telephone cable is connected securely to the DSL modem.

After checking all the connection, if the issue persists, it is recommended that you contact AT&T technical support at 1-877-722-3755 (open 24/7). They will run several line test on your AT&T DSL line and if require they will send the engineers to resolve the issue for you.

Employee Contributor*
Message 12 of 17 (41,420 Views)
Contributor

My DSL line on the router works intermittently as well, sometimes green lite sometimes red lite on a 2Wire router/modum.  Everytime I have changed my AT&T Phone service package, which I just did recently, I have a connection problem with DSL.  This is getting annoying.  I called AT&T service and was asked if Ihad changed my password.  I said no, but couldn't remember the password so they changed it but on the router but didn't have it changed on the email internet service.  Now, thanks to the IT guys I work with - not AT&T - I now have a router and a DSL connection that can talk to one another. 

The problem is that I am still getting intermittent service.   I live across the street froma high school that has Internet service, could their service be interrupting mine? How can I correct for this problem?  By the way the wireless connection works just fine when I can get a DSL connection. I don't have a cordless phone systeme either. I live in Chicago. And as I say, everything was working just fine until I changed the package of landline service I had with AT&T.

Message 13 of 17 (41,420 Views)
Employee

Hello Genevieve

If you have already checked for all the reason that may effect the AT&T DSL connection in your house, and if you have already tried all the steps mentioned above to avoid the intermittent connection issue and still if you are experiencing the same intermittent connection issue, I would suggest you to contact AT&T technical voice help desk at 1-877-722-3755 (open 24/7) and troubleshoot according to their recommendation. If require they will perform a line test on your AT&T DSL line and escalated further accordingly.

I would like to explain that the inside phone wiring in your home may also cause intermittent loss of the DSL signal. Shorts, grounds, poor line quality, etc. can degrade the DSL signal.

Since, you have also mentioned that whenever you make any changes with your AT&T phone services package you experiences such issues with your AT&T DSL line, hence, I would suggest you to firstly contact AT&T Telco department at 1-800-288-2020 (work from Monday-Friday: 8am-7pm ET) and ask them to get your AT&T phone line check. They will help you accordingly.

Employee Contributor*
Message 14 of 17 (41,420 Views)
Teacher

Re: My router gets the red light SOLVED AT LAST!

Penny, I realize this is long after your posting, but you gave the most detailed list of things to check when the DSL light constantly interrupts the connection, and I MAY have found a solution to my own problem which was a quick disconnect with flashing red light, then blink, blink and the service is restored.  That became maddening after a while because while some services continued (Internet radio was not cut off half the time), other pages, sites, browsers would have to be closed and reset.  It bothered me greatly because this interruption sometimes occurred two or three DOZEN times a day, and watching a movie online was out of the question.

Though I started ATT DSL in August of 2009, the problem didn't erupt until March of this year.  After two weeks, I called ATT for suggestions for a remedy.  I had already checked wires, reset the modem, tightened all plugs and moved things around, so there was little more I could do without help.  Over the next two months, I made 15 calls, had three repairmen at my door, had a something down the street replaced at the ATT box, changed out phone lines, modems (3 were eventually sent) and switched three telephones, and finally I purchased and installed Windows 7 in case this was another Win Vista problem.  It wasn't.  I Googled more questions than can be believed, and last night I was just sure that setting a static IP would be the answer.  It wasn't. Over the past six months, I had tried every solution anyone could think of (including at least 90% of your list) and still I had the problem.  I did notice that there were four other 2Wire connections in my neighborhood, one a very strong signal nearly equal to mine, and I had a sneaking suspicion that my neighbor could affect my connection, but how to prove it?

Then this morning I read your post from April, and the one line just popped out at me: "The solution may be as easy as changing the channel of your wireless router."  No one had ever mentioned a software issue to me before, not one, and I had three expert linemen standing here at my computer, besides the 15 techs I talked to at ATT!!  Penny, right now, to me you are a genius.  I changed that channel at 10 this morning and I haven't had one disconnect since, a record.  If this situation holds (and you know I've been hopeful so many times before), I owe you big time.

Please post your list for your Techs to refer to, and maybe someone else will be helped, too.  My problem was so intrusive that I considered dropping ATT, and here I'd switched from a terrible cable service just for this.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Message 15 of 17 (41,420 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.