Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Jan 14, 2011
1:18:03 PM
My billing problems with DSL were straightened out

I, too, was being overcharged for DSL after being promised the $19.95 a month rate for a year back in August of 2010.  I called in October and was told that it would take 3 months for the refunds to show up on my bill and I continued to pay $35 a month trusting that the refunds would eventually catch up to the bill.  I still hadn't seen a refund yet, so I took another stab at phoning the billing department.

I actually talked to a very helpful lady who kept me on the phone while she straightened the whole thing out with another department and credited my account with a $75.25 refund.  She advised me to pay only $19.95 in February, and then the credits should show up on my March bill.  She said I would then get the promo rate for a full year from March.

Of course, I'll have to wait and see if these things actually do happen, but she did seem knowledgeable and one of those people who know how to solve problems instead of just passing them on to someone else. 

I, too, was being overcharged for DSL after being promised the $19.95 a month rate for a year back in August of 2010.  I called in October and was told that it would take 3 months for the refunds to show up on my bill and I continued to pay $35 a month trusting that the refunds would eventually catch up to the bill.  I still hadn't seen a refund yet, so I took another stab at phoning the billing department.

I actually talked to a very helpful lady who kept me on the phone while she straightened the whole thing out with another department and credited my account with a $75.25 refund.  She advised me to pay only $19.95 in February, and then the credits should show up on my March bill.  She said I would then get the promo rate for a full year from March.

Of course, I'll have to wait and see if these things actually do happen, but she did seem knowledgeable and one of those people who know how to solve problems instead of just passing them on to someone else. 

My billing problems with DSL were straightened out

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2011 9:46:43 AM
(0)
Contributor

Not to be pessimistic, but unfortunately I have made the same phone calls, and have received the exact same responses over the last 3 months.  We have now overpaid $25 a month for 6 months, and have called each month being assured it was straighted out.  Finally, my husband called yesterday and was told that we were NEVER SIGNED UP for any promotion, that they had no idea what we were talking about, and that there was nothing they could do about the huge overpayment we were charged.  He even spoke to a supervisor, and when he was persistent (we are EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED at this point), the supervisor hung up on him!  Something obviously went very awry with this promotion, and it seems that they have no plans to make it right.  In fact, when we underpaid one month as instructed, we were tacked on late charges that they now tell us we are responsible for!!  

I thought people were exaggerating when they spoke of ATT having the worst customer service of any company.  I now see that these reports were right on.  I still can't believe the way we, and apparently 1000's of others, have been treated and plan to cancel our service immediately.  

Not to be pessimistic, but unfortunately I have made the same phone calls, and have received the exact same responses over the last 3 months.  We have now overpaid $25 a month for 6 months, and have called each month being assured it was straighted out.  Finally, my husband called yesterday and was told that we were NEVER SIGNED UP for any promotion, that they had no idea what we were talking about, and that there was nothing they could do about the huge overpayment we were charged.  He even spoke to a supervisor, and when he was persistent (we are EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED at this point), the supervisor hung up on him!  Something obviously went very awry with this promotion, and it seems that they have no plans to make it right.  In fact, when we underpaid one month as instructed, we were tacked on late charges that they now tell us we are responsible for!!  

I thought people were exaggerating when they spoke of ATT having the worst customer service of any company.  I now see that these reports were right on.  I still can't believe the way we, and apparently 1000's of others, have been treated and plan to cancel our service immediately.  

Re: My billing problems with DSL were straightened out

2 of 14 (2,943 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2011 6:26:57 PM
(0)
Contributor

I signed up for a $19.95/mo DSL plan in October as a favor for a friend selling 5linx. Her company got a kickback or something for signing people up. Anyway, I have been charged $47.95 on every bill for the past 6 months. I've called to get my bill corrected at least 5 times. The reps. have been trained to say that you will see a credit appear after two or three billing cycles ( just long enough for you to forget to check). That credit never came with an hour long phone conversation with customer service. They claim they can not waive the early termination fee because we have a contract. I think AT&T broke the contract by charging me incorrectly over and over. I didnt sign up for THIS! If I don't call, they would happily take my overpayment. Is this happening to anyone else?

I signed up for a $19.95/mo DSL plan in October as a favor for a friend selling 5linx. Her company got a kickback or something for signing people up. Anyway, I have been charged $47.95 on every bill for the past 6 months. I've called to get my bill corrected at least 5 times. The reps. have been trained to say that you will see a credit appear after two or three billing cycles ( just long enough for you to forget to check). That credit never came with an hour long phone conversation with customer service. They claim they can not waive the early termination fee because we have a contract. I think AT&T broke the contract by charging me incorrectly over and over. I didnt sign up for THIS! If I don't call, they would happily take my overpayment. Is this happening to anyone else?

Re: My billing problems with DSL

3 of 14 (2,552 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2011 5:13:24 AM
(0)
Contributor

I just received this month's bill and it's now nine dollars more than last month's!  I originally signed up for the 35.00 a month DSL service and I've been paying 40.00 a month.  Now, they want me to pay 49.00!!!!

I am calling this morning to rant and rave over their blatant ignorance.  I am not paying 49.00 a month for DSL.

I got rid of AT&T as my wireless provider because I've never experienced such horrible customer service.  I hope that's not the case for the DSL service.

I just received this month's bill and it's now nine dollars more than last month's!  I originally signed up for the 35.00 a month DSL service and I've been paying 40.00 a month.  Now, they want me to pay 49.00!!!!

I am calling this morning to rant and rave over their blatant ignorance.  I am not paying 49.00 a month for DSL.

I got rid of AT&T as my wireless provider because I've never experienced such horrible customer service.  I hope that's not the case for the DSL service.

4 of 14 (2,508 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2011 12:04:06 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by pamelaz on Apr 2, 2011 at 12:06:32 PM

Well here I am again after foolishly believing that my billing problems were straightened out.  I did receive the credit on my bill promised me by the oh-so-helpful rep I talked to, BUT they continue to bill me $35.83 a month for the service I was promised at $19.99 a month.  I've been trying to straighten this out since August of 2010 and have made numerous phone calls to their billing department.

You know, I think they just want you to give up and pay the overcharges because obviously they don't give a **** about their customers.  Am I supposed to spend an hour or so on the phone every month to get a credit which does nothing to solve the problem because they just continue to bill for the wrong amount.

How on earth does this company have an A+ rating with the BBB? 

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Well here I am again after foolishly believing that my billing problems were straightened out.  I did receive the credit on my bill promised me by the oh-so-helpful rep I talked to, BUT they continue to bill me $35.83 a month for the service I was promised at $19.99 a month.  I've been trying to straighten this out since August of 2010 and have made numerous phone calls to their billing department.

You know, I think they just want you to give up and pay the overcharges because obviously they don't give a **** about their customers.  Am I supposed to spend an hour or so on the phone every month to get a credit which does nothing to solve the problem because they just continue to bill for the wrong amount.

How on earth does this company have an A+ rating with the BBB? 

[ Edited ]
5 of 14 (2,480 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2011 1:05:01 PM
(0)
Expert

When I had DSL, I would get better results going to Sales (instead of Billing).

When I had DSL, I would get better results going to Sales (instead of Billing).

6 of 14 (2,463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2011 4:42:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm having this same problem and when I call-just like you said. The rep said "you will see a credit appear after your second billing cycles. Well this my third month being over charge and I'm not waiting untill the fourth. I'm out.

I'm having this same problem and when I call-just like you said. The rep said "you will see a credit appear after your second billing cycles. Well this my third month being over charge and I'm not waiting untill the fourth. I'm out.

7 of 14 (2,350 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2011 3:53:34 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by pamelaz on Apr 19, 2011 at 3:59:00 PM

I have the same problem. Added internet service to existing Uverse TV.

Promo $19.95 for 12 months, but instead got charged $35.  But that's not the end. First bill after adding internet came up as $269 !!! Where it should be ~$75 including taxes.

They slapped me with $150 technician instalation fee, Internet Equepment fee, and some other misc fees.

I allready spent couple hours with them in past month. They agree it's not right, but 3 calls and nothing gets fixed, only more screw ups.

I'll be filing coplaints with BBB and FCC. 

[Per Guidelines:  No Open Solicitation Allowed].

I have the same problem. Added internet service to existing Uverse TV.

Promo $19.95 for 12 months, but instead got charged $35.  But that's not the end. First bill after adding internet came up as $269 !!! Where it should be ~$75 including taxes.

They slapped me with $150 technician instalation fee, Internet Equepment fee, and some other misc fees.

I allready spent couple hours with them in past month. They agree it's not right, but 3 calls and nothing gets fixed, only more screw ups.

I'll be filing coplaints with BBB and FCC. 

[Per Guidelines:  No Open Solicitation Allowed].

[ Edited ]
8 of 14 (2,316 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2011 8:21:10 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Taylarie on Dec 6, 2011 at 8:43:33 AM

Signed up for $14.95 (and no landline required) Internet service for a 12 month commitment in June 2011.  Sales Rep. says billing takes up to 3 months to get correct amount on bill, "so be certain to call back in 3 months" to get credit. I was credited, supposedly in Oct 2011, but guess what - they renewed my 12 month commitment to reflect 10-2011 to 10-2012! When I aked to speak with a supervisor today, all were in a meeting but I was promised a call back within an hour by Dana {Personal content removed for their safety} or a Mr. {Personal content removed for their safety}. Cannot wait to see if one calls me back by 11:40.

In the meantime, I found this site so at least I can post for others to see they are not alone with ATT billing problems.

Signed up for $14.95 (and no landline required) Internet service for a 12 month commitment in June 2011.  Sales Rep. says billing takes up to 3 months to get correct amount on bill, "so be certain to call back in 3 months" to get credit. I was credited, supposedly in Oct 2011, but guess what - they renewed my 12 month commitment to reflect 10-2011 to 10-2012! When I aked to speak with a supervisor today, all were in a meeting but I was promised a call back within an hour by Dana {Personal content removed for their safety} or a Mr. {Personal content removed for their safety}. Cannot wait to see if one calls me back by 11:40.

In the meantime, I found this site so at least I can post for others to see they are not alone with ATT billing problems.

[ Edited ]
9 of 14 (1,890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2011 10:33:01 AM
(0)
Contributor

Update -  ATT cannot change their billing amounts nor committment dates. Apparently in October, when I called to receive back adjustments so I would be correctly be billed for my DSL at $14.95/month (from June to October), the only way they could process the adjustment is by ------ get this------changing my committment date to reflect the current promotion. Now, I promise the new 12- month committment dates (going from Oct 2011 to Oct 2012) was not advised to me. After speaking with several reps, I opted not to change my plan, but regretfully did not sign up for wireless. Wow what a day!

Update -  ATT cannot change their billing amounts nor committment dates. Apparently in October, when I called to receive back adjustments so I would be correctly be billed for my DSL at $14.95/month (from June to October), the only way they could process the adjustment is by ------ get this------changing my committment date to reflect the current promotion. Now, I promise the new 12- month committment dates (going from Oct 2011 to Oct 2012) was not advised to me. After speaking with several reps, I opted not to change my plan, but regretfully did not sign up for wireless. Wow what a day!

10 of 14 (1,881 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 3:33:35 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by ShaunMN on Dec 29, 2011 at 4:46:00 PM

i get same problem! i think the 19 dollar DSL deal of AT&T is totally a scam, they almost overcharged everybody who chose this plan. i have to call them every month for the same issue. i am tried about this. the problem started from March 1st, 2010, and today is Dec 29th, 2011. it is crazy~!  

take care: when they saying refund. that means they may show CREDIT on your account, BUT they may still overcharge you for a period of time. so make sure check the bill EVERY MONTH.

and they may not use that CR to pay your bills, call them to make sure everything is on track, they cut my DSL and charge me 40 more dollars for the reinstall the internet.

ALSO, you have to keep you own record, cuz they may ask you some stupid questions like how much you paid, it looks like they dont have record at all.

i get same problem! i think the 19 dollar DSL deal of AT&T is totally a scam, they almost overcharged everybody who chose this plan. i have to call them every month for the same issue. i am tried about this. the problem started from March 1st, 2010, and today is Dec 29th, 2011. it is crazy~!  

take care: when they saying refund. that means they may show CREDIT on your account, BUT they may still overcharge you for a period of time. so make sure check the bill EVERY MONTH.

and they may not use that CR to pay your bills, call them to make sure everything is on track, they cut my DSL and charge me 40 more dollars for the reinstall the internet.

ALSO, you have to keep you own record, cuz they may ask you some stupid questions like how much you paid, it looks like they dont have record at all.

[ Edited ]
11 of 14 (1,624 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2012 11:42:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

Uverse, 14.95 for a year, signed up October 2011.  After many phone calls I have discovered three different departments involved: Sales, Billing and Rewards.  There are -- at least -- two separate databases:  Sales and Billing.

Sales makes the agreement and records their promise in the Sales database.  Billing can see this.  But billing can't apply the discount.  That's handled by Rewards.

Talking to Rewards I learned that every month a list of discounts is submitted to Rewards.  And on a completely random day, those discounts are cross-checked against our current services to make sure we still qualify for the discount.  It's happened on the 15th, 7th, 6th, 5th of some months for my account.  There's no logic to it.

Because of this random qualification schedule the discount is sometimes not approved until after the bill has been generated.  Only Rewards knows this.  Billing doesn't have a clue.  So unless they suddenly grow a left lobe we must keep our own spreadsheets and call Billing every month.  Billing can issue credits anytime at their discretion - which is what I've been relying on.

We wanted a discount?  We get what we pay for.

Rethink AT&T

Uverse, 14.95 for a year, signed up October 2011.  After many phone calls I have discovered three different departments involved: Sales, Billing and Rewards.  There are -- at least -- two separate databases:  Sales and Billing.

Sales makes the agreement and records their promise in the Sales database.  Billing can see this.  But billing can't apply the discount.  That's handled by Rewards.

Talking to Rewards I learned that every month a list of discounts is submitted to Rewards.  And on a completely random day, those discounts are cross-checked against our current services to make sure we still qualify for the discount.  It's happened on the 15th, 7th, 6th, 5th of some months for my account.  There's no logic to it.

Because of this random qualification schedule the discount is sometimes not approved until after the bill has been generated.  Only Rewards knows this.  Billing doesn't have a clue.  So unless they suddenly grow a left lobe we must keep our own spreadsheets and call Billing every month.  Billing can issue credits anytime at their discretion - which is what I've been relying on.

We wanted a discount?  We get what we pay for.

Rethink AT&T

12 of 14 (1,509 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2012 11:57:20 PM
(0)
Expert

Sounds about right, the communications company that cannot communicate within itself. Smiley Sad

Sounds about right, the communications company that cannot communicate within itself. Smiley Sad

13 of 14 (1,507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2012 2:47:32 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by mymosa on May 20, 2012 at 2:48:24 PM

I was paying $19.95 a month for DSL basic.  All of a sudden last month's bill jumped to $25.00, no explanation.  I called and was told it was on March's bill.  (I was also asked if I have U-Verse and I replied no.)  Lucky for me I kept all the bills for this year.  I replied nothing is mentioned on any bills about a rate increase from January through March.  I was then put on hold, After a few moments they said I can just pay what I owed from the prior bills.  I did.  I get May's bill and the same thing happened.  Again nothing on this bill says why the jump in price. 

I have been looking on line and am going in circles.  Nothing mentions a jump in price.  Has anyone else ran into this?

I was paying $19.95 a month for DSL basic.  All of a sudden last month's bill jumped to $25.00, no explanation.  I called and was told it was on March's bill.  (I was also asked if I have U-Verse and I replied no.)  Lucky for me I kept all the bills for this year.  I replied nothing is mentioned on any bills about a rate increase from January through March.  I was then put on hold, After a few moments they said I can just pay what I owed from the prior bills.  I did.  I get May's bill and the same thing happened.  Again nothing on this bill says why the jump in price. 

I have been looking on line and am going in circles.  Nothing mentions a jump in price.  Has anyone else ran into this?

DSL billing problems

[ Edited ]
14 of 14 (1,443 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments