Internet Forums

Posted Apr 29, 2010
5:46:42 PM
View profile
(Mac problem) Certain programs can't connect to the internet

I have AT&T DSL, and a Mac running OS X (10.4.11).

No programs besides Firefox and AIM seem to be able to access the internet.  Apple's Software Update, Safari (the newest version), and iTunes (Also the newest version) can't connect, even though network diagnostics says the connection is fine, which it seems to be for Firefox etc. 

I wonder if it has to do with the AT&T registration, and I'm wondering if, that being the case, there's any way to make AT&T recognize these programs as being allowed to access the internet.  Otherwise, I can't figure out how to get these programs to find the internet.  I've been through the preferences of each program, and my network settings.

Any ideas?

I have AT&T DSL, and a Mac running OS X (10.4.11).

No programs besides Firefox and AIM seem to be able to access the internet.  Apple's Software Update, Safari (the newest version), and iTunes (Also the newest version) can't connect, even though network diagnostics says the connection is fine, which it seems to be for Firefox etc. 

I wonder if it has to do with the AT&T registration, and I'm wondering if, that being the case, there's any way to make AT&T recognize these programs as being allowed to access the internet.  Otherwise, I can't figure out how to get these programs to find the internet.  I've been through the preferences of each program, and my network settings.

Any ideas?

(Mac problem) Certain programs can't connect to the internet

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2010 5:20:00 AM
(0)
AT&T Internet Expert

If you are able to use all the software (including Apple's Software Update and iTunes) on Firefox and unable to use them on Safari, this could be specific issue with Safari browser on your Mac operating system.

Please, try the steps mentioned below to reset the settings of your Safari browser:

1. Open Safari.
  2. From the tool bar, select Safari->Reset Safari.
  3. You will be presented with a dialog on what you would like to reset, by default everything is checked. Click on Reset to initiate.
  4. Exit then restart Safari to have it set to defaults.

If the issue persists, it is recommended that you contact AT&T Mac technical support 1-877-722-3755 (working 24/7).

When you call in to speak to an agent, ask to be transferred to Mac support.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

If you are able to use all the software (including Apple's Software Update and iTunes) on Firefox and unable to use them on Safari, this could be specific issue with Safari browser on your Mac operating system.

Please, try the steps mentioned below to reset the settings of your Safari browser:

1. Open Safari.
  2. From the tool bar, select Safari->Reset Safari.
  3. You will be presented with a dialog on what you would like to reset, by default everything is checked. Click on Reset to initiate.
  4. Exit then restart Safari to have it set to defaults.

If the issue persists, it is recommended that you contact AT&T Mac technical support 1-877-722-3755 (working 24/7).

Re: (Mac problem) Certain programs can't connect to the internet

2 of 4 (1,632 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2010 3:50:46 PM
(0)
Contributor

Software Update and iTunes don't work in conjunction with Firefox.  Firefox and AIM are the only programs which can access the internet.  All of the following: Software Update, iTunes, and Safari; cannot connect to the internet.

The reason why I would like these programs to be able to access the internet is so that: in the case of Apple Software Update, so I can find important updates for system components such as Javascript etc. for my computer (because it can be hard to find out what updates I need and how to acquire them, without using Apple Software Update); and in the case of iTunes, so that I can access the iTunes store through the iTunes program and be able to purchase and download music from iTunes.

In short, it is not only a problem with Safari.  Does this help?

Software Update and iTunes don't work in conjunction with Firefox.  Firefox and AIM are the only programs which can access the internet.  All of the following: Software Update, iTunes, and Safari; cannot connect to the internet.

The reason why I would like these programs to be able to access the internet is so that: in the case of Apple Software Update, so I can find important updates for system components such as Javascript etc. for my computer (because it can be hard to find out what updates I need and how to acquire them, without using Apple Software Update); and in the case of iTunes, so that I can access the iTunes store through the iTunes program and be able to purchase and download music from iTunes.

In short, it is not only a problem with Safari.  Does this help?

3 of 4 (1,632 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2010 9:05:47 PM
(0)
AT&T Internet Expert
Hello aelismikilai,

In this case, I would suggest you to disable the firewall of your computer system and check if disabling the firewall resolves this issue or not.
If the issue resolves, this indicate that the firewall was blocking few of the software available in your computer system.
However, if the issue persists, it is recommended that you contact AT&T Mac support at 1-877-722-3755 (working 24/7).

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Hello aelismikilai,

In this case, I would suggest you to disable the firewall of your computer system and check if disabling the firewall resolves this issue or not.
If the issue resolves, this indicate that the firewall was blocking few of the software available in your computer system.
However, if the issue persists, it is recommended that you contact AT&T Mac support at 1-877-722-3755 (working 24/7).

4 of 4 (1,632 Views)