Linux user seeking help with DSL-inet config

Contributor

Linux user seeking help with DSL-inet config

I've been using AT&T DSL for just over 1 year now with a Linux distro (MEPIS) in one desktop tower and another Linux distro (sidux) in my other desktop tower. I have no router and only use the wired Motorola DSL modem which AT&T sent me when I started using DSL. [I don't have nor use Windows at all, except when I go to the public library.] I recently installed the latest version of sidux (version Mopoc) as the OS in one of my two desktop tower computers. [My inet connection using MEPIS is fine. MEPIS uses a different method (different from the one in sidux) to set-up the inet connection.] I installed Mopoc over an old version of sidux. I've been trying to set-up the connection to the Internet but don't understand what entries are needed where. Of course I have to ask all this here because AT&T doesn't help Linux users. All AT&T tech support told me was to pick DHCP and not static. In my sidux computer I have ceni (a GUI app) and pppoe-config (another GUI app) to set-up my connection and I think I really only need to use one of them to set-up my connection but I don't know which is the one I must use correctly to get on the inet. I've tried each one but I don't have something(s) quite right so I can't connect to the inet yet. [Oddly, when I turn on my sidux computer, Knemo says I'm connected and shows various IP type numbers for "IP address, Subnet mask, Broadcast address, Default Gateway, and HW-address". But when I want to use a web browser, I get nowhere-- I can't go to any website.] With either computer, I have to log-in only for my icedove email service- I never have to log-in to use a web browser. [Of course, what I just wrote is only true for the MEPIS computer but not yet for the sidux Mopoc one.] I'd like to know: 1) what DNS nameservers I should use-- I need two strings of numbers I believe 2) if it's true that I can only set my configuration for DHCP and not static. 3) what's the meaning of "DNS search" which seems to be required in ceni if I pick DHCP; and if you know, what goes in the "DNS search" box in ceni and 4) last year AT&T inet tech support gave me two strings of DNS numbers which I need in my MEPIS computer's inet configuration: primary 68.94.156.1 and secondary 68.94.157.1 Are these two strings of numbers the DNS nameservers that I would enter in my sidux computer in the ceni box for DNS nameservers? I hope a Linux user here can help me. Thanks
Tags (3)
Message 1 of 5
Guru

Re: Linux user seeking help with DSL-inet config

2 Linux and Moto2210 modem... so, you had to unplug and replug 1 computer to get online?

these DNS addresses are still valid...

primary 68.94.156.1

secondary 68.94.157.1

i believe you can just use the PPPoE configuration on the modem instead of manually setting up PPPoE on each Linux system.

Message 2 of 5
Contributor

Yes, I unplug one computer from the Motorola DSL modem and plug the other one into the modem. ................. I have to use the software set-up-- I don't think I have to do anything with the modem. With pppoe-config (a GUI app), I'm asked for 'pppoe provider'. Who is that? AT&T? I'm also asked for pppoe username and password. Are these the ones I picked when I signed up with AT&T for DSL service? I've used ' AT&T ' for pppoe provider and, for pppoe username and password, I've entered my username (my full AT&T-Yahoo email address) and password (which I set up with AT&T-Yahoo when I started my DSL service). With all that entered, I'm still unable to get on the Internet. Why? What's wrong? Thanks
Message 3 of 5
Contributor

I just called AT&T. The tech support woman told me that with the Motorola DSL modem they sent me, ppp is in the modem and not in the computer. So, even though I could set up pppoe to be in the computer, this won't work for me since I have two Linux computers. In the MEPIS one, ppp is in the modem and I'd like my other computer to work this way too- I'd rather not fiddle with pppoe-config in the sidux computer, the one I've been having trouble connecting to the Internet. So now I have to see if I can get that sidux computer connected to the inet. Thanks
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Contributor

Have you gotten Sidux to connect yet? Yes, the PPPoE should be handled in the modem. Your connection from the PC to the modem should be using DHCP to automatically configure the connection, I would imagine. I am not familiar with Sidux networking or the Ceni app, but you might try reading the online docs http://manual.sidux.com/en/internet-connecting-en.htm#netcardconfig and visiting #sidux on irc.oftc.net http://sidux.com/module-Content-view-pid-1.html
Tags (3)
Message 5 of 5
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

Additional Support