Helpful Links

Internet is down

Contributor

Internet is down

Can someone please tell me why for the last day or so I cannot connect to the internet.  I've reset my router and DLS modem about 5 times and still have no internet connetion.  My zip code is 94505.  The only way I'm able to get on right now is my neighbor has Comcast and I can connect to his router.  please fix this issue

Message 1 of 8
Contributor

Re: Internet is down

I'm from the Bay Area.

Called AT&T 4 times today. First 3, the phone prompts kept telling me that something was wrong with my DSL line/equipment (which were lies) and to call back but after each call, I had to start all over. Finally the 4th call went through and they forwarded my problem it to tech support. An hour later I finally got a call back from them, then I had to wait another HOUR and 45 MINUTES before I actually spoke to a person.

Person who answered didn't really care, he just said, "DSL is down for all of Northern California. There's is nothing we can do and we don't know when it'll be be fixed." Then he hanged up on me.

Don't know if that's the truth since local news has no info about it. You'd think that all of NorCals DSL users have no internet would be news, but no it's not....

Anyhow, we have DSL back on now (came back on around 4pm I think), but speeds are extremely slow. Speedtest & 2wire's speed test both shows that our speed is only 23 kb/s. I'm suppose to have 3mb internet speeds. Actual internet browsing is SLOW and Opera shows that pages load at anywhere from 0-175 bytes (yes bytes, not kilobytes) per sec. Currently almost 7pm and speeds are still the same.

I am extremely dissapointed by the service and customer service today from AT&T. Been with them for about 14 years and I will definitely switch to another ISP soon.

Message 2 of 8
Tutor

Similar here (95762). DSL was up and down yesterday with DSL speeds in the kilobit range. Called tech support who told me that the broadband was my side if the router. Nothing about an outage, but set up a service request for Monday. It would be much easer if AT&T just told me about the outage; about 3 hours on the phone...
Message 3 of 8
Contributor

I was on the phone with ATT beginning at about 0730 hours here in the Western US, and they did not know of the outage, or the extent of it at least, right away.  By afternoon time they were referring to it, to me, as an outage that was spotty but widespread.  I understand the frustration, these things, and the company's response to them, can be annoying at times. It is possible things were simply unfolding at a rate that was confusing to those attempting to appear knowledgeable, or to try and explain it.  Out of the four folks I spoke with yesterday, only one was a bit of a dweeb and was less than helpful. Perhaps you needed to call more to improve your odds?  (joking).  I hope your service is back up now, too, and that the Monday appointment is not needed.   

Message 4 of 8
Contributor

Late last night I got an automated call from AT&T saying that the issue was resolved and call back if you are still having issues. Checked our DSL and nothing changed, still getting kb/s in the 20's range. Rebooted a few times and checked, but same result. Called the new AT&T number the message gave me and was on hold for about 40 minutes before I gave up.

This morning, I noticed our speeds have been fluctuating from the low 10's to the high 30's kb/s. Seems worse than yesterday since connection isn't as stable. Already bad enough having to wait anywhere from a minute to 10 minutes for a single page to load, but like halfway loading it'll completely stop with my browser saying connection is lost. Then have to reload and try again. Took 2 times before I could login to this site.

Called AT&T tech support number today, went through all the garbage again. System stil says the problem is my line. It appears tech support is off today since the system said I'd get a call back sometime on Monday. Seriously hope at least the Engineers or whoever is fixing this didn't take the day off too.

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 8
Tutor

DSL out all day today, and is still out, but voice is working east of Sacramentoj(95762). Picked up a second 2Wire wireless routers just in case, but it wouldn't sync up either (DSL Led blinks red). The time line:

Friday afternoon: DSL goes down but recovers to kilobit speeds aver a few hours on the phone with tech support.
Saturday: still slow, stops syncing while on the phone with tech support.
Today (Sunday): no DSL at all.

AT&T tech support: epic fail, F-, time to call comcast I guess
Message 6 of 8
Tutor

DSL is back up, but slow: 128 kbps downstream, 384 upstream. The AT&T speed test says about .2x Mbts up/down. Sucks, but I can read email again.

Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Tutor

Service tech showed up this AM, fixed some wiring in my telephone junction box and replaced a connector in side. DSL is back up to normal speeds, hurray!

Note that at&t is offering reduced prices if you sign up for a 1 year commitment; about $20/month vs. $43.

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues, we are here to chat!

Additional Support