Internet Forums

Posted Apr 27, 2010
5:10:05 AM
Internet connection dropping precisely every 14 minutes

I had a tech here for about 3 hours yesterday afternoon working on this issue. Approximately a week ago, I noted that my internet connection (DSL) began intermittently dropping for a minute or so, then reconnecting. Nothing has changed from the outside box to the inside... the tech was unable to resolve the issue. He did suggest trying a new modem, but when he plugged a new one in, the same thing occurred. As the modem does not belong to me but to the homeowner, I can't replace it - I'm a mere tenant here :-) - so now I'm at a bit of a stalemate unless I want to shell out the $62 for a new modem, which I really don't if that is not the problem!

Doing a tracert, I determined that both my wireless box and the DSL modem were visible during these outages. The failure occurred on the third "hop" - to the outside world.

I've checked the logs on the modem; they show ADSL  failure during these outages (I can reach the modem just fine during the outage period).

In checking the output of a simple .bat file that I wrote that continuously pings the identified third hop from tracert output, I noted this morning that the outages are not random at all: they are occurring consistently at 14-minute intervals.

So... what could be happening every 14 minutes that would cause this? Anyone have any thoughts?

I had a tech here for about 3 hours yesterday afternoon working on this issue. Approximately a week ago, I noted that my internet connection (DSL) began intermittently dropping for a minute or so, then reconnecting. Nothing has changed from the outside box to the inside... the tech was unable to resolve the issue. He did suggest trying a new modem, but when he plugged a new one in, the same thing occurred. As the modem does not belong to me but to the homeowner, I can't replace it - I'm a mere tenant here :-) - so now I'm at a bit of a stalemate unless I want to shell out the $62 for a new modem, which I really don't if that is not the problem!

Doing a tracert, I determined that both my wireless box and the DSL modem were visible during these outages. The failure occurred on the third "hop" - to the outside world.

I've checked the logs on the modem; they show ADSL  failure during these outages (I can reach the modem just fine during the outage period).

In checking the output of a simple .bat file that I wrote that continuously pings the identified third hop from tracert output, I noted this morning that the outages are not random at all: they are occurring consistently at 14-minute intervals.

So... what could be happening every 14 minutes that would cause this? Anyone have any thoughts?

Internet connection dropping precisely every 14 minutes

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2010 9:31:59 AM
(0)
AT&T Internet Expert

I truly appreciate that you took your valuable time to let us know that you are experiencing intermittent connection issue with your AT&T Internet services and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

If the Internet is working intermittently, it could be intermittent connection problem.
Intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:

• Cordless phones and other electronic devices are the most common cause of intermittent Internet connectivity issues. Cordless phone systems running at 2.4 GHz often run at the same frequency as your DSL modem or home networking router. If you are experiencing intermittent connectivity issues, you may need to replace your cordless phone with one that runs at a different frequency.
  • Large metal objects and electrical equipment such as televisions, home entertainment electronics, and microwaves can also cause interference. Try to keep your DSL modem and wireless home networking router away from these sources of electronic interference.
  • Check with your neighbor. You may both be running wireless networks at the same frequency. The solution may be as easy as changing the channel of your wireless router.
  • Physical obstructions such as walls, floors, home entertainment electronics, appliances and furniture can cause interference if the wireless signals have to pass through them. Move your DSL modem or wireless home networking router to another location so it isn't in the line-of-sight of these potential interference factors. Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
  • Your phone jack may be defective or damaged. Try connecting the modem to a different phone jack, if possible. If the hiss and background noise is gone, the initial phone jack is defective and should be replaced.Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
  • The RJ-11 phone cord that connects your modem to the phone jack may be damaged and need replacing. If your phone cord is over 14 feet long, the signal may be weakened sufficiently that it is intermittently lost.Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
  • DSL filters are needed on all phone devices except the DSL modem. If you have more than one phone line entering your home, DSL filters should also be installed on the second line, even if it is not connected to your DSL equipment.
  • Phone ringing disconnects DSL service If your DSL service is disconnecting when your phone rings, you probably have a phone somewhere in the house/office that doesn't have a DSL filter installed between the phone and the wall jack. Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
  • The inside phone wiring in your home may also cause intermittent loss of the DSL signal. Shorts, grounds, poor line quality, etc. can degrade the DSL signal.

After trying all the steps mentioned above, if the issue persists, please contact the AT&T eChat helpdesk, they will perform a line test on your AT&T DSL line and if require they will send an engineer to check the status.

If you are in 'AR, CA, CT, IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NV, OH, OK, TX, & WI' area, You may click on the following link to connect to a chat agent:
https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnai re_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

I truly appreciate that you took your valuable time to let us know that you are experiencing intermittent connection issue with your AT&T Internet services and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

If the Internet is working intermittently, it could be intermittent connection problem.
Intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:

• Cordless phones and other electronic devices are the most common cause of intermittent Internet connectivity issues. Cordless phone systems running at 2.4 GHz often run at the same frequency as your DSL modem or home networking router. If you are experiencing intermittent connectivity issues, you may need to replace your cordless phone with one that runs at a different frequency.
  • Large metal objects and electrical equipment such as televisions, home entertainment electronics, and microwaves can also cause interference. Try to keep your DSL modem and wireless home networking router away from these sources of electronic interference.
  • Check with your neighbor. You may both be running wireless networks at the same frequency. The solution may be as easy as changing the channel of your wireless router.
  • Physical obstructions such as walls, floors, home entertainment electronics, appliances and furniture can cause interference if the wireless signals have to pass through them. Move your DSL modem or wireless home networking router to another location so it isn't in the line-of-sight of these potential interference factors. Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
  • Your phone jack may be defective or damaged. Try connecting the modem to a different phone jack, if possible. If the hiss and background noise is gone, the initial phone jack is defective and should be replaced.Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
  • The RJ-11 phone cord that connects your modem to the phone jack may be damaged and need replacing. If your phone cord is over 14 feet long, the signal may be weakened sufficiently that it is intermittently lost.Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
  • DSL filters are needed on all phone devices except the DSL modem. If you have more than one phone line entering your home, DSL filters should also be installed on the second line, even if it is not connected to your DSL equipment.
  • Phone ringing disconnects DSL service If your DSL service is disconnecting when your phone rings, you probably have a phone somewhere in the house/office that doesn't have a DSL filter installed between the phone and the wall jack. Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
  • The inside phone wiring in your home may also cause intermittent loss of the DSL signal. Shorts, grounds, poor line quality, etc. can degrade the DSL signal.

After trying all the steps mentioned above, if the issue persists, please contact the AT&T eChat helpdesk, they will perform a line test on your AT&T DSL line and if require they will send an engineer to check the status.

If you are in 'AR, CA, CT, IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NV, OH, OK, TX, & WI' area, You may click on the following link to connect to a chat agent:
https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnai re_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

Re: Internet connection dropping precisely every 14 minutes

2 of 11 (2,908 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2010 9:43:49 AM
(0)
Tutor

I would appreciate it if you would re-read my post. I spent three hours with a dispatched tech yesterday; I assure you that none of these things are the issue.

The signal is dropping EVERY 14 MINUTES. I am attempting to discover what event is occurring every 14 minutes that would conceivably cause this to happen... and wondering if anyone else has experienced a recurrent but CONSISTENT outage like this. If you would like, I can forward you the output logs from my troubleshooting that demonstrate this, but please, I do have somewhat of a clue (been working on computer networks since 1987).

Thank you.

I would appreciate it if you would re-read my post. I spent three hours with a dispatched tech yesterday; I assure you that none of these things are the issue.

The signal is dropping EVERY 14 MINUTES. I am attempting to discover what event is occurring every 14 minutes that would conceivably cause this to happen... and wondering if anyone else has experienced a recurrent but CONSISTENT outage like this. If you would like, I can forward you the output logs from my troubleshooting that demonstrate this, but please, I do have somewhat of a clue (been working on computer networks since 1987).

Thank you.

3 of 11 (2,908 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2010 3:28:16 PM
(0)
Scholar

http://www.att.com/t5/Internet/IFITL-Oversubscription/td-p/4509

I have an ongoing issue with AT&T that has grown beyond 70 days now, my connection does not drop every 14 minutes but I experience severe packet loss in the AT&T network. At every opportunity AT&T tries to blame this on my equipment or my premise wiring. The support department process is broken and systematically abuses people that are calling for support, they do not keep 'open tickets' on ongoing issues every time you call back you have to start all over at square one and repeat a process that you know to be futile. I have done this over 20 times in the past 70 days.
I used my lunch hour to call billing today to take care of a matter that a support operator ASSURED me he would follow up with me (after 30 days went by I gave up on him) I was credited for the service the past 2 months this took a full hour to accomplish, mainly because someone that doesn't care at the end of the day if they can tell themselves they did their best to serve their customers, this person as it seems everyone in support that I have dealt with is interested in getting their check every week but beyond that I have not saw anything that leads me to believe that anyone at AT&T is interested in dealing with problems or trying to serve customers.
Am I unreasonable in thinking that a problem that support has not resolved since the 15th of Feb can not be escalated?
I must be because AT&T offers no recourse to me this has been clearly spelled out here but the only thing ANYONE gets from here is a copy and paste apology and some instructions.
"Welcome to the new AT&T"

I have an ongoing issue with AT&T that has grown beyond 70 days now, my connection does not drop every 14 minutes but I experience severe packet loss in the AT&T network. At every opportunity AT&T tries to blame this on my equipment or my premise wiring. The support department process is broken and systematically abuses people that are calling for support, they do not keep 'open tickets' on ongoing issues every time you call back you have to start all over at square one and repeat a process that you know to be futile. I have done this over 20 times in the past 70 days.
I used my lunch hour to call billing today to take care of a matter that a support operator ASSURED me he would follow up with me (after 30 days went by I gave up on him) I was credited for the service the past 2 months this took a full hour to accomplish, mainly because someone that doesn't care at the end of the day if they can tell themselves they did their best to serve their customers, this person as it seems everyone in support that I have dealt with is interested in getting their check every week but beyond that I have not saw anything that leads me to believe that anyone at AT&T is interested in dealing with problems or trying to serve customers.
Am I unreasonable in thinking that a problem that support has not resolved since the 15th of Feb can not be escalated?
I must be because AT&T offers no recourse to me this has been clearly spelled out here but the only thing ANYONE gets from here is a copy and paste apology and some instructions.

4 of 11 (2,908 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2010 7:30:39 PM
(0)
Tutor

I now know that the telephone connection is dropping every 14 minutes, as  well - even when the modem is turned off and disconnected. Since the phone has not been used for long conversations lately, this only became apparent tonight. Therefore, it is DEFINITELY NOT THE MODEM, and yes, I WILL try plugging in a wired phone to the outside interface box tomorrow (just to be thorough), at one of those 14-minute intervals, and betcha it's going to fail. Then I shall begin another round of calling, answering the same questions again, etc., etc. etc., but at least I anticipate that in the end, this will be fixed.

I now know that the telephone connection is dropping every 14 minutes, as  well - even when the modem is turned off and disconnected. Since the phone has not been used for long conversations lately, this only became apparent tonight. Therefore, it is DEFINITELY NOT THE MODEM, and yes, I WILL try plugging in a wired phone to the outside interface box tomorrow (just to be thorough), at one of those 14-minute intervals, and betcha it's going to fail. Then I shall begin another round of calling, answering the same questions again, etc., etc. etc., but at least I anticipate that in the end, this will be fixed.

5 of 11 (2,908 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2010 3:09:49 AM
(0)
AT&T Internet Expert
Hello vintagemama,

If the phone line is also keep getting disconnect, I would suggest to check your phone jack, that may be defective or damaged. Try connecting the modem to a different phone jack, if possible. If the Internet works fine on different phone jack, the initial phone jack is defective and should be replaced.

Otherwise, before checking the cables outside your house, please, also try to replace the micro filter (intermittent connection issue also occurred due to faulty filters).
However, if the issue persists, please contact Telco support at 800-288-2020 (they work Monday - Friday between 8am-7pm ET Saturday between 8am-5pm ET) for further assistance with the phone line.

Once the phone started working fine, check the Internet connection, if the Internet connection disconnects again, it is recommended that you contact AT&T eChat support.  
If you are in, 'AR, CA, CT, IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NV, OH, OK, TX, & WI', you may click on the following link to connect to a chat agent.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple

Hello vintagemama,

If the phone line is also keep getting disconnect, I would suggest to check your phone jack, that may be defective or damaged. Try connecting the modem to a different phone jack, if possible. If the Internet works fine on different phone jack, the initial phone jack is defective and should be replaced.

Otherwise, before checking the cables outside your house, please, also try to replace the micro filter (intermittent connection issue also occurred due to faulty filters).
However, if the issue persists, please contact Telco support at 800-288-2020 (they work Monday - Friday between 8am-7pm ET Saturday between 8am-5pm ET) for further assistance with the phone line.

Once the phone started working fine, check the Internet connection, if the Internet connection disconnects again, it is recommended that you contact AT&T eChat support.  
If you are in, 'AR, CA, CT, IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NV, OH, OK, TX, & WI', you may click on the following link to connect to a chat agent.

6 of 11 (2,908 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2010 3:48:16 AM
(0)
Tutor

The phone and the DSL incoming line are on separate jacks. It is not the jack. It is not the filters. The easiest and wisest course of action will be to check outside the house first, as if the problem can be replicated there, which will take just a minute or two to check out, then we'll be able to confirm whether or not it is a problem coming from the outside world or something inside the house. I'll be doing that as soon as it's light out enough to see what I'm doing.

I've been monitoring the connection for several hours now, and it is completely consistent: outages every 14 minutes. I also monitored it yesterday at various times throughout the day. I have the output logs generated by the little batch program saved, and they clearly show the 14-minute intervals of uptime followed by about a minute that it takes to reestablish the connection.

Thank you for your personal response - nice to hear from a real person.

The phone and the DSL incoming line are on separate jacks. It is not the jack. It is not the filters. The easiest and wisest course of action will be to check outside the house first, as if the problem can be replicated there, which will take just a minute or two to check out, then we'll be able to confirm whether or not it is a problem coming from the outside world or something inside the house. I'll be doing that as soon as it's light out enough to see what I'm doing.

I've been monitoring the connection for several hours now, and it is completely consistent: outages every 14 minutes. I also monitored it yesterday at various times throughout the day. I have the output logs generated by the little batch program saved, and they clearly show the 14-minute intervals of uptime followed by about a minute that it takes to reestablish the connection.

Thank you for your personal response - nice to hear from a real person.

7 of 11 (2,908 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2010 6:20:39 PM
(0)
Tutor

After plugging a wired phone into the outside box, as anticipated, the problem was evident - the phone disconnected at precisely that 14-minute mark. I once again called customer service, and explained what I had done.

They asked me what modem I was using. I answered that it was a Siemens, but that it was NOT THE MODEM.

They asked me what model of Siemens modem I was using. I answered, "It is NOT THE MODEM. THE PROBLEM OCCURS OUTSIDE THE HOUSE. It is a 4100, but it is NOT THE MODEM."

And what OS was I using on my pc? IT IS NOT THE PC. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PC - but I am using Vista.

And you are saying there is no dial tone. Correct! Thank you!

You need to call the telephone line service department.

Are they 24x7?

Yes, they are.

"Our regular business hours are 8 am...." - so much for that theory.

I must say, however, that I did reach someone, after a few of the scripted questions I was able to get through to her that I'd already checked all of those things out, and I was told that someone would be sent to check things out - sometime between 8 am and 8 pm. Hmm.... pretty big window there.... thank goodness I could be home...

The tech came. He was a great guy - same one they'd dispatched on Monday, so he knew the history and also knew that I had done some pretty thorough troubleshooting. He identified the problem relatively quickly - a card at a nearby switch had gone awry. He replaced it. All was, and is, well.

There are several things that could have been done much better in resolving this issue. I supplied the IP address of the failing device on the first call, but I don't think anyone listened. I cannot say that the phone support people were impolite, but they certainly were just following their script and not really hearing what I was telling them as far as what I'd already done to troubleshoot the issue - and they obviously did not have the knowledge that would enable them to really understand what I'd done, or why. Perhaps it would have been resolved more quickly had I asked to have the issue escalated to someone knowledgeable; I don't know.

It is, however, now resolved. And I am thankful for that.

After plugging a wired phone into the outside box, as anticipated, the problem was evident - the phone disconnected at precisely that 14-minute mark. I once again called customer service, and explained what I had done.

They asked me what modem I was using. I answered that it was a Siemens, but that it was NOT THE MODEM.

They asked me what model of Siemens modem I was using. I answered, "It is NOT THE MODEM. THE PROBLEM OCCURS OUTSIDE THE HOUSE. It is a 4100, but it is NOT THE MODEM."

And what OS was I using on my pc? IT IS NOT THE PC. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PC - but I am using Vista.

And you are saying there is no dial tone. Correct! Thank you!

You need to call the telephone line service department.

Are they 24x7?

Yes, they are.

"Our regular business hours are 8 am...." - so much for that theory.

I must say, however, that I did reach someone, after a few of the scripted questions I was able to get through to her that I'd already checked all of those things out, and I was told that someone would be sent to check things out - sometime between 8 am and 8 pm. Hmm.... pretty big window there.... thank goodness I could be home...

The tech came. He was a great guy - same one they'd dispatched on Monday, so he knew the history and also knew that I had done some pretty thorough troubleshooting. He identified the problem relatively quickly - a card at a nearby switch had gone awry. He replaced it. All was, and is, well.

There are several things that could have been done much better in resolving this issue. I supplied the IP address of the failing device on the first call, but I don't think anyone listened. I cannot say that the phone support people were impolite, but they certainly were just following their script and not really hearing what I was telling them as far as what I'd already done to troubleshoot the issue - and they obviously did not have the knowledge that would enable them to really understand what I'd done, or why. Perhaps it would have been resolved more quickly had I asked to have the issue escalated to someone knowledgeable; I don't know.

It is, however, now resolved. And I am thankful for that.

8 of 11 (2,908 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2010 12:39:41 AM
(0)
AT&T Internet Expert
Hello vintagemama,

I truly appreciate that you took your valuable time to let us know that the issue which you were experiencing is now resolved and I am glad to know that.

Thank you for sharing your experiences and bringing this to our notice. It will definitely help us to improve our performance and services.

Thanks again for your time and cooperation.

I regret all the uncertainty you have experienced.

Hello vintagemama,

I truly appreciate that you took your valuable time to let us know that the issue which you were experiencing is now resolved and I am glad to know that.

Thank you for sharing your experiences and bringing this to our notice. It will definitely help us to improve our performance and services.

Thanks again for your time and cooperation.

I regret all the uncertainty you have experienced.

9 of 11 (2,908 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2011 10:32:11 AM
(0)
Contributor

All I can say is that "I feel your pain".  I spent so many minutes on hold etc. that I used up minutes on my cell phone and then had to pay my cell phone company $120 for over useage.  Talk about a joke!  If I was able to find another internet provided in the area, believe me, I'd drop ATT in a "New York Minute".  I am now having trouble with my internet dropping and thought perhaps, I may need a new modem.  Someone from the locat ATT store called me back and said that "inactivityy" will drop the line.  What a joke...... I am at this location on weekends and am trying to watch security cameras from another location.  The line drops and the cameras dissapear.  When I get back to the location, I reset the modem and it works again.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  I don't buy the info ATT is providing as to why.

jeff3558 wrote:

All I can say is that "I feel your pain".  I spent so many minutes on hold etc. that I used up minutes on my cell phone and then had to pay my cell phone company $120 for over useage.  Talk about a joke!  If I was able to find another internet provided in the area, believe me, I'd drop ATT in a "New York Minute".  I am now having trouble with my internet dropping and thought perhaps, I may need a new modem.  Someone from the locat ATT store called me back and said that "inactivityy" will drop the line.  What a joke...... I am at this location on weekends and am trying to watch security cameras from another location.  The line drops and the cameras dissapear.  When I get back to the location, I reset the modem and it works again.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  I don't buy the info ATT is providing as to why.

jeff3558 wrote:

10 of 11 (2,412 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2011 9:13:04 AM
(0)
Tutor

the last week i've have been experiencing randon losses of internet connection. i have old westell modem. the internet light will turn red. wait about 5 min and internet is back. i live in ky and we have had a lot of rain for the last three weeks so i thought it might be weather related.  the loss connection has been happening way too much in the last couple days.  with all your research, i think i will call phone line repair.  thank you for your efforts.

the last week i've have been experiencing randon losses of internet connection. i have old westell modem. the internet light will turn red. wait about 5 min and internet is back. i live in ky and we have had a lot of rain for the last three weeks so i thought it might be weather related.  the loss connection has been happening way too much in the last couple days.  with all your research, i think i will call phone line repair.  thank you for your efforts.

11 of 11 (2,006 Views)