Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Apr 24, 2012
10:01:34 PM
View profile
Internet Service Keeps Cutting Off (Los Angeles)

We've had AT&T as an internet provider for years now, and our internet keeps cutting off at night! Anywhere from 8 pm to 1 am (Time that I'm still up) the internet keeps cutting off. I don't know what can cause this, but during the day, the internet is fine and never cuts off.

Can anything be done? Will I have to call someone to check this problem out?

We've had AT&T as an internet provider for years now, and our internet keeps cutting off at night! Anywhere from 8 pm to 1 am (Time that I'm still up) the internet keeps cutting off. I don't know what can cause this, but during the day, the internet is fine and never cuts off.

Internet Service Keeps Cutting Off (Los Angeles)

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2012 9:39:31 AM
(0)
Master

earambula21 wrote:

Has your internet always done this, or did it just start recently?

Is it repeatable, always starting around 8 PM, and always ends at 1AM, every night?

It could be caused by an outdoor security light, yard light, or indoor flourescent light, located on your property, or a street light on the pole where your lines run, if wired incorrectly or defective can induce electrical "noise" and cause problems.

I would start with accessing your modem and retreiving your line stats (sync rates, noise margin, etc.) during the day when it's good and during the evening when it's bad. Print out a copy of each so you can show the tech when they come to your house after calling them.

You can also post them here and someone can let you know if anything stands out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

earambula21 wrote:

Has your internet always done this, or did it just start recently?

Is it repeatable, always starting around 8 PM, and always ends at 1AM, every night?

It could be caused by an outdoor security light, yard light, or indoor flourescent light, located on your property, or a street light on the pole where your lines run, if wired incorrectly or defective can induce electrical "noise" and cause problems.

I would start with accessing your modem and retreiving your line stats (sync rates, noise margin, etc.) during the day when it's good and during the evening when it's bad. Print out a copy of each so you can show the tech when they come to your house after calling them.

You can also post them here and someone can let you know if anything stands out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Re: Internet Service Keeps Cutting Off (Los Angeles)

2 of 4 (709 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2012 8:39:39 PM
(0)
Contributor

Looks like it was the security light outside. We took off the fluorescent light and my internet ran smoothly. 

I think it was a problem with the bulb itself, would another type of bulb make  a difference? 

Looks like it was the security light outside. We took off the fluorescent light and my internet ran smoothly. 

I think it was a problem with the bulb itself, would another type of bulb make  a difference? 

3 of 4 (586 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2012 9:12:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

Nevermind, it started to cut off again. 

I'll check the line stats

Nevermind, it started to cut off again. 

I'll check the line stats

4 of 4 (582 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments