Internet Not Working

Tutor

Internet Not Working

Ok so I have a 2WIRE router from AT&T and it turns off the internet every once and a while one of the lights will start blinking red on my router, and this week it has been getting worse to where it'll go down and start blinking red at least 20-50 times in an hour and it's really making me mad. Has anyone else had this problem on a 2WIRE router before? What am I supposed to do to make this stop happening?
Message 1 of 15
Contributor

Re: Internet Not Working

I am also haveing pretty much the same problem. It started about a week ago, and after 2 years of service, this is really the first problem i've had. Im using an actiontec GT724R modem, which has worked great up until about a week ago. I've checked all lines, filters, and switched the modem as well, all with no effect. When browsing, playing online games, or basically anything else that requires a connection, i'm getting disconnected at some points anywhere around once every 2 min or so..I've seen several other reports on the forums here, and cannot figure out why everyone keeps saying it's not isp side. again, i've been using the same equipment for around 2 years now with basically zero problems, until the last week or 2. Some kind of information on a fix, or some kind of update at all would be greatly appreciated, as i'm getting close to the point of haveing to look somewhere else for service. Every few minutes my DSL light starts flashing, the internet light goes out, DSL light becomes solid again, internet light turns red for a few sec, then back to green....at a rate of somewhere around 20 times an hour currently.
Message 2 of 15
Employee

Hello members,

I truly appreciate that you took your valuable time to let us know that you are experiencing intermittent connection with your 2 Wire and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

Thank you for trying out the steps, few addition steps require, if your Internet connection is coming and going, it could be intermittent connection issue, DSL is very sensitive to Electromagnetic Interference (EMI). It is important to make sure that the DSL modem and telephone lines are placed in such a way as to minimize this interference, as well as placing them to provide adequate cooling. The following are a few of the possible causes of Electromagnetic Interference on a DSL line:

•  
    • Cordless phones and other electronic devices are the most common cause of intermittent Internet connectivity issues. Cordless phone systems running at 2.4 GHz often run at the same frequency as your DSL modem or home networking router. If you are experiencing intermittent connectivity issues, you may need to replace your cordless phone with one that runs at a different frequency.
    • Large metal objects and electrical equipment such as televisions, home entertainment electronics, and microwaves can also cause interference. Try to keep your DSL modem and wireless home networking router away from these sources of electronic interference.
    • Check with your neighbor. You may both be running wireless networks at the same frequency. The solution may be as easy as changing the channel of your wireless router.
    • Physical obstructions such as walls, floors, home entertainment electronics, appliances and furniture can cause interference if the wireless signals have to pass through them. Move your DSL modem or wireless home networking router to another location so it isn't in the line-of-sight of these potential interference factors. Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
    • Your phone jack may be defective or damaged. Try connecting the modem to a different phone jack, if possible. If the hiss and background noise is gone, the initial phone jack is defective and should be replaced.Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
    • The RJ-11 phone cord that connects your modem to the phone jack may be damaged and need replacing. If your phone cord is over 14 feet long, the signal may be weakened sufficiently that it is intermittently lost.Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
    • DSL filters are needed on all phone devices except the DSL modem. If you have more than one phone line entering your home, DSL filters should also be installed on the second line, even if it is not connected to your DSL equipment.
    • Phone ringing disconnects DSL service If your DSL service is disconnecting when your phone rings, you probably have a phone somewhere in the house/office that doesn't have a DSL filter installed between the phone and the wall jack. Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
    • The inside phone wiring in your home may also cause intermittent loss of the DSL signal. Shorts, grounds, poor line quality, etc. can degrade the DSL signal.

If the issue persist, it is recommended that you contact the AT&T eChat helpdesk.

If you are in 'AR, CA, CT, IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NV, OH, OK, TX, & WI' You may click on the following link to connect to a chat agent.

https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 15
Contributor

I have had the exact same problems. Started a couple of weeks ago. Have any of those steps worked? I find it hard to believe a bunch of people are having the same problem and it has nothing to do with at&t. They must spend no money on customer service because they get everything wrong, including wireless. If anything has worked for someone please reply with a solution. I am about to get rid of my service if the problem doesn't go away.
Message 4 of 15
Guru

if only the INTERNET light on the 2Wire blinks red at times, it means it's not authenticating to the AT&T server. one possible cause is a connection issue between the modem and the att network. but you may try resetting the 2Wire to factory state to clear the 2Wire device of any possible error that might also cause this frequent disconnection to the internet.

hope this helps! :smileyhappy:

Message 5 of 15
Contributor

That worked! Thank you very much!!!
Message 6 of 15
Contributor

It only fixed the problem for an hour or two. The problem came back and I actually think it is worse than before. Guess I will just have to live with it.
Message 7 of 15
Contributor

Re: Internet Not Working - Intermittent connection problem

I've had this issue ever since I started service with ATT at my new home in October of 2008. It has continued to this day and today alone it has disconnected a total of 29 times and counting. ATT has been out to my home countless times and have replaced pretty much everything possible inside and out without solving the problem. I've been on the phone so many hours with clueless phone representatives that asks the same questions over and over without bothering to look up the trouble ticket that should be readily accessible. Each phone call, email or chat session waste 1-2 hrs to try and get the rep to understand the situation and send someone out. Most technicians they send out either does nothing, is not knowledgeable, or never calls to confirm they've been there or done anything at all. A few have been nice and helpful but unable to resolve the issue. A search of the internet forums proves that many have run into this disconnect issue with no apparent fix. I'm being disconnected several times as I write this post . . . I'm at a loss as to what to do and I'm stuck with this horrendous service thats eating up $50 per month (phone and DSL) that is useless. Can't even get Comcast because they pulled the line from my house when installing the ATT DSL line because the old one was corrupt. Will try one last time to get it resolved . . . but I'm not to confident that anything can be or will be done. Anyone whose been able to successfully resolve this problem, please let the rest of us know.
Message 8 of 15
Tutor

This same thing is happening to me! I am in 5 online courses this semester and I have no idea what to do! Has anyone found a solution to this problem? It has worked fine for almost a year now and most of the previous solutions wouldn't help me. I don't have a home phone or a TV, my computer USED to be able to serve as both of those. I also am not using a wireless router. This is driving me crazy and none of my professors believe me! I'm going to fail my classes if I don't get it fixed so there are some seriously yummy. homemade cookies on the line for whoever can help me :smileywink:
Message 9 of 15
Employee

Hello tondracek,

I am sorry that you had to go through this unpleasant experience and I appreciate the admirable restraint you exercised in your message.

The issue that you are experiencing your computer, needs hand in hand troubleshooting. In order to troubleshoot this issue, it is recommended that you contact AT&T technical support and troubleshoot according to their recommendations.

If you are in, 'AR, CA, CT, IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NV, OH, OK, TX, & WI', you may click on the following link to connect to a chat agent: https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnai re_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 10 of 15
Contributor

Good evening,

My Internet connection goes down like clockwork every 5 to 7 weeks.  It has been this way since June of 2009 when service was provisioned.  I must note that when it is working, it is working as advertised.  Consistently get 2.5Mbps from a 3.0 service plan here in San Antonio, Texas.  Also, my PC is connected directly to the modem.

I have had my account ripped and rebuilt a couple of times, even had a tech come out to monitor the line quality but was advised everything was working fine.  Modem (Motorola Netopia 2210) logs indicate DSL line is up, but unable to establish PPPoE connection.  I can see the modem lights blink when Tier 1 pings my modem but the problem persists.  However, the last couple of times, when Tier 2 pinged my modem, the connection was restored.  I'd like some of that magic sauce please! 

To-date, no one can give me a definitive answer or root cause of the problem.  I've even had tech support suggest I buy a new modem.  The worst part of this experience is the need to burn an hour or more with Tier 1/Tier 2 troubleshooting.  I'd appreciate any insight into this problem - a permanent fix is preferred.

Thanks!

Message 11 of 15
Employee

Hello alamo13,

I truly appreciate that you took your valuable time to let us know that you are experiencing intermittent connection issue with your AT&T Internet services and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

If the Internet is working intermittently, it could be intermittent connection problem.
Intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:

• Cordless phones and other electronic devices are the most common cause of intermittent Internet connectivity issues. Cordless phone systems running at 2.4 GHz often run at the same frequency as your DSL modem or home networking router. If you are experiencing intermittent connectivity issues, you may need to replace your cordless phone with one that runs at a different frequency.
  • Large metal objects and electrical equipment such as televisions, home entertainment electronics, and microwaves can also cause interference. Try to keep your DSL modem and wireless home networking router away from these sources of electronic interference.
  • Check with your neighbor. You may both be running wireless networks at the same frequency. The solution may be as easy as changing the channel of your wireless router.
  • Physical obstructions such as walls, floors, home entertainment electronics, appliances and furniture can cause interference if the wireless signals have to pass through them. Move your DSL modem or wireless home networking router to another location so it isn't in the line-of-sight of these potential interference factors. Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
  • Your phone jack may be defective or damaged. Try connecting the modem to a different phone jack, if possible. If the hiss and background noise is gone, the initial phone jack is defective and should be replaced.Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
  • The RJ-11 phone cord that connects your modem to the phone jack may be damaged and need replacing. If your phone cord is over 14 feet long, the signal may be weakened sufficiently that it is intermittently lost.Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
  • DSL filters are needed on all phone devices except the DSL modem. If you have more than one phone line entering your home, DSL filters should also be installed on the second line, even if it is not connected to your DSL equipment.
  • Phone ringing disconnects DSL service If your DSL service is disconnecting when your phone rings, you probably have a phone somewhere in the house/office that doesn't have a DSL filter installed between the phone and the wall jack. Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
  • The inside phone wiring in your home may also cause intermittent loss of the DSL signal. Shorts, grounds, poor line quality, etc. can degrade the DSL signal.

After trying all the steps mentioned above, if the issue persists, please contact the AT&T eChat helpdesk, they will perform a line test on your AT&T DSL line and if require they will send an engineer to check the status.

If you are in 'AR, CA, CT, IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NV, OH, OK, TX, & WI' area, You may click on the following link to connect to a chat agent:
https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

Employee Contributor*
Message 12 of 15
Tutor

I have had way too much headache with ATT and will definitely look into switching over to a different internet service provider.

For the past month I've been experiencing intermittent internet coverage in the Anaheim area at not 1 but 2 locations and it's the same exact symptoms.  I will be be browsing the net and it will just stop loading/cut-out until I refresh a couple of times and the connection comes back - this happens anywhere between 1-100 times a day.  Anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 minutes. It's a short interruption, but it's tedious to deal with nonetheless.  When you pay for HIGH SPEED INTERNET - you expect to receive uninterrupted HIGH SPEED internet service.

I've been on the phone with ATT at least 20 times amounting to approximately 5 hours.  Spent almost 10 hours of overtime staying at the office trying to figure out if it's an issue with MY equipment or if it's an ATT issue.  They've run at least 10 different line tests and "re-built" whatever circuit they say may have been causing the issue.  After having a tech come out and check ALL of my equipment and replaced the outside filter equipment, switching not 1 but 2 modems, eliminating the router, upgrading my internet speed, COMPLETELY formatting my computer and reinstalling all my programs to ensure it's not a virus, this HAS GOT TO BE an ATT issue.

Problem is they either

1. Are too stubborn to admit it and are trying to desperately to fix the issue. 

or

2. HAVE NO CLUE what it is that messing with their service.

or

3. Scamming all of us.

It seems ridiculous to me that every customer service rep., technician, supervisor, etc... all want to walk me through beginning with STEP 1 over and over and over again when I tell them I've already been through it all AND it should all be noted in my file.  

ATT is HORRIBLE.  I think I may even have to submit a case with the BBB.  There is absolutely no way that both of my locations (7 miles apart from each other) are experiencing the same issues after all of the troubleshooting I've done due to equipment failure.  I use Time Warner Cable Internet at home and I haven't experienced this.  I was relieved to know that other disgruntled ATT customers are experiencing the same issue so ATT cannot tell me that it is something disrupted by my equipment.

I will be pursuing this until there is a resolution and will post for you all if I make any progress.  

If you search around in these forums you'll notice that A LOT of people are experiencing these intermittent issues with the same "NO SOLUTION" so far.  There has to be something funny going on here that ATT NEEDS to make known to customers that are PAYING FOR THIS SERVICE. GET IT TOGETHER for all of your customers instead of concentrating on iPhone plans!

Message 13 of 15
Employee

Hello ih8att,

I am sorry that you had to go through this unpleasant experience and I apologize for the inconvenience that you are facing with this issue.

If you have already tried all the troubleshooting steps to resolve intermittent connection issue and still the issue doesn't resolves, I would suggest you to contact AT&T Tier 2 support at 1-877-722-3755 (open 24/7) and troubleshoot according to their recommendation. If require they will run a line test on your AT&T DSL line to check where exactly the problem is.

Thank you for your patience, please bear with us.

Employee Contributor*
Message 14 of 15
Contributor

ih8att,

I am in the Atlanta area and instead of typing out the issue I am having I will simply copy and paste what you already posted with minor changes

I have had way too much headache with ATT and will BE switching over to a different internet service provider.

For the past week I've been experiencing intermittent internet coverage in the Atlanta area at 1 locations.  I will be be browsing the net and it will just stop loading/cut-out until I refresh a couple of times and the connection comes back - this happens anywhere between 1-100 times a day.  Anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 minutes. It's a short interruption, but it's tedious to deal with nonetheless.  When you pay for HIGH SPEED INTERNET - you expect to receive uninterrupted HIGH SPEED internet service.

I've been on the phone with ATT at least 10 times amounting to approximately 2 hours.  .  They've run at least 10 different line tests and "re-built" whatever circuit they say may have been causing the issue, I switched out 1 modem, eliminating the router, upgrading my internet speed, COMPLETELY formatting my computer and reinstalling all my programs to ensure it's not a virus, this HAS GOT TO BE an ATT issue.

Everytime i call they say a problem is in my area and the expected turn around time is 8pm that night, 8pm comes, i power cycle modem and same thing, I call back and then they say, a problem is in the area and they expect to resolve in 24hrs, 24hrs come, power-cycle and same thing, 3 times so far...

Comcast has a special running $40/month for internet(12Mb/s) and phone service for 6 months, after the 6 months you can drop down to the lower phone service plan(most people have cell phones nowadays anyway)and your total bill will be around $68/month. If you just need internet and are a new customer then internet will run you  $57/month...

Purchase a cable modem for yourself to elimate the $1.95 rental fee for a cable modem(comcast has the compatible models listed on their website, i recommed the Linksys CM100) as I have used it before at another residence.

Message 15 of 15
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

Do you have questions about Internet and Email Security? Have them answered on Wednesday, April 26th at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Hack Attack!

Additional Support