Internet Connection Stops every several days (2 or 3 days)

Contributor

Internet Connection Stops every several days (2 or 3 days)

[ Edited ]

I have 5 static IP DSL service from ATT and found one (may be) of them having this problem.  Once a while (two or three days), the Internet connection will stop.  I have to unplug and re-plug in the Ethernet cable between computer and a hub.  My configuration is ATT DSL Modem -> Hub -> several computers.  Each computer has a different IP address (static IP).  This IP, 64.168.11.108, is a server.  Others are computers and routers.  This server is mostly not active (no traffic).  Is the configuration wrong somewhere?  Or, is it a "keepalive" problem?  Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Yu-lum

{Personal content removed for your safety}

Message 1 of 6 (252 Views)
Contributor

Re: Internet Connection Stops every several days (2 or 3 days)

I found another IP address has the same problem.  It stops talking after no traffic for half day.  After I unplug and re-plug in the ethernet cable, it starts working again.

The orignal IP 64.168.11.108
The new tried IP 64.168.11.109

Any other idea?  Thanks for your help!

Regards,

yuan_w

Message 2 of 6 (234 Views)
Contributor

Second day, fro I changed the Ethernet card, the network is still working.  I hardly believe it is the hardware caused the problem.  I thought the hardware has only good or bad condition.  There is a third state, intermittent state.  It is weird.

I chatted with ATT support.  She told me the Speedstream DSL modem does not have keepalive function so I decided to change a new Ethernet card for a try.  So far so good for two days.

Message 3 of 6 (201 Views)
Contributor

when you're talking about the replacing the ethernet card, did you mean the ethernet card on your computer? 

Message 4 of 6 (190 Views)
Employee

Hi yuan_w,

Glad to know that the issue is fixed.

If you require further assistance, please feel free to contact AT&T technical support at 1-877-722-3755 (toll free), open 24/7.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 6 (183 Views)
Contributor

Yet they hardly fix anything ever.
Message 6 of 6 (173 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.