Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Sep 4, 2011
10:32:04 AM
View profile
Internet Connection Stops every several days (2 or 3 days)
Edited by pamelaz on Sep 4, 2011 at 12:21:17 PM

I have 5 static IP DSL service from ATT and found one (may be) of them having this problem.  Once a while (two or three days), the Internet connection will stop.  I have to unplug and re-plug in the Ethernet cable between computer and a hub.  My configuration is ATT DSL Modem -> Hub -> several computers.  Each computer has a different IP address (static IP).  This IP, 64.168.11.108, is a server.  Others are computers and routers.  This server is mostly not active (no traffic).  Is the configuration wrong somewhere?  Or, is it a "keepalive" problem?  Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Yu-lum

{Personal content removed for your safety}

I have 5 static IP DSL service from ATT and found one (may be) of them having this problem.  Once a while (two or three days), the Internet connection will stop.  I have to unplug and re-plug in the Ethernet cable between computer and a hub.  My configuration is ATT DSL Modem -> Hub -> several computers.  Each computer has a different IP address (static IP).  This IP, 64.168.11.108, is a server.  Others are computers and routers.  This server is mostly not active (no traffic).  Is the configuration wrong somewhere?  Or, is it a "keepalive" problem?  Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Yu-lum

{Personal content removed for your safety}

Internet Connection Stops every several days (2 or 3 days)

[ Edited ]
5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2011 7:24:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

I found another IP address has the same problem.  It stops talking after no traffic for half day.  After I unplug and re-plug in the ethernet cable, it starts working again.

The orignal IP 64.168.11.108
The new tried IP 64.168.11.109

Any other idea?  Thanks for your help!

Regards,

yuan_w

I found another IP address has the same problem.  It stops talking after no traffic for half day.  After I unplug and re-plug in the ethernet cable, it starts working again.

The orignal IP 64.168.11.108
The new tried IP 64.168.11.109

Any other idea?  Thanks for your help!

Regards,

yuan_w

Re: Internet Connection Stops every several days (2 or 3 days)

2 of 6 (225 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2011 11:40:39 AM
(0)
Contributor

Second day, fro I changed the Ethernet card, the network is still working.  I hardly believe it is the hardware caused the problem.  I thought the hardware has only good or bad condition.  There is a third state, intermittent state.  It is weird.

I chatted with ATT support.  She told me the Speedstream DSL modem does not have keepalive function so I decided to change a new Ethernet card for a try.  So far so good for two days.

Second day, fro I changed the Ethernet card, the network is still working.  I hardly believe it is the hardware caused the problem.  I thought the hardware has only good or bad condition.  There is a third state, intermittent state.  It is weird.

I chatted with ATT support.  She told me the Speedstream DSL modem does not have keepalive function so I decided to change a new Ethernet card for a try.  So far so good for two days.

3 of 6 (192 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2011 8:59:10 PM
(0)
Contributor

when you're talking about the replacing the ethernet card, did you mean the ethernet card on your computer? 

when you're talking about the replacing the ethernet card, did you mean the ethernet card on your computer? 

4 of 6 (181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2011 1:47:25 AM
(0)
Employee

Hi yuan_w,

Glad to know that the issue is fixed.

If you require further assistance, please feel free to contact AT&T technical support at 1-877-722-3755 (toll free), open 24/7.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Hi yuan_w,

Glad to know that the issue is fixed.

If you require further assistance, please feel free to contact AT&T technical support at 1-877-722-3755 (toll free), open 24/7.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 6 (174 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2011 8:01:10 AM
(0)
Contributor
Yet they hardly fix anything ever.
Yet they hardly fix anything ever.

6 of 6 (164 Views)