Helpful Links

Internal (or no) modem

Contributor

Internal (or no) modem

I am looking to purchase and install a router so I can use wi-fi for my smartphone, tablet, and to connect entertainment device so I can stream video. I have ATT DSL connection, but no modem. The Ethernet cable goes directly from the wall to the back of my desktop computer.

All instructions for installing routers, either on the internet in general, or this site in particular, mention connections to and from the modem, and I have not been able to find anything about router installation WITHOUT a DSL modem. I don't want to spend the $$ for a good router if I will not be able to set it up and configure it without an external modem.

Can someone clarify what if anything I will need in addition to the router itself for me to accomplish this??

Thanks for any information anyone can provide. 

Message 1 of 2
Teacher

Re: Internal (or no) modem

Are you plugged into a telephone connector (RJ11) or a Cat5 (RJ45) connection?  If it's a telephone connection, then you may have an 'internal' DSL modem and I'm not familiar with any reasonable router choices for your setup. If you have a Cat5 connection between your computer and the wall, there is a a router or modem somewhere else and you could insert a second router to establish a wireless access point. You may also want to check your network connection settings and identify what you network card actually is.

Message 2 of 2
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues, we are here to chat!

Additional Support