Intermittent connections: PROOF that it's not EMI, a subwoofer, neighbor's phone, bad wiring, etc.

Tutor

Intermittent connections: PROOF that it's not EMI, a subwoofer, neighbor's phone, bad wiring, etc.

Sorry Penny, Pamela, etc. 

I do this for a living.  I find software bugs.  And I get paid good money to narrow down the specific causes.  

I too, have suffered with intermittent disconnection problems ever since I received my 2701HG-B Gateway about 4 months ago. I've tried all the different "troubleshooting tips" from this forum, the AT&T site, and from a rather long tech support call - none of which helped. 

I'm a busy person, and troubleshooting AT&T's problem wasn't a top priority for me - although it was extremely annoying each time our internet connection was disconnected, I have other things to do.  Two days ago, I had surgery on my ankle, and I have to sit, with it elevated, for a week.  With two MacBook Pro computers, and three OS versions (10.6.1-10.6.3) I began digging. 

First of all, I found a quite informative link from the 2Wire site. Instead of just typing http://home in my browser, I found that I could get even more info from using http://gateway.2wire.net/management and entering the same administrator password for the http://home page. 

Under the 'Broadband Link' section, I found some rather interesting info when I clicked the 'Detailed Statistics' link: 

DSL Since Reset:  Current 24 hr Time since last event

Link Retrains: 12 12 0 1:51:18
DSL Training Errors: 7 7 0 3:34:4

I'm not sure what Link Retrains are, exactly, but feel free to Google away.   I know they are errors, and I know they corresponded roughly to the outages I've been experiencing. 

Further down, under the 'Advanced' section, I thought I'd take a look at the Detailed Log link.  BAM.  Lost my connection to the internet.  Waited.  Got reconnected.  Came back to the same page, and tried the Detailed Log link again.  BAM.

And again. BAM.

And again. BAM.  

Your gateway FAILS to load it's own link, and drops the DSL link at the same time.  AT&T, this is YOUR PROBLEM. FIX IT, and post the patch, solution, or workaround, please.  

For you other folks who are frustrated with the same intermittent issues, if you try the same steps and get the same results, please post this info.  

Message 1 of 9 (1,623 Views)
Employee

Re: Intermittent connections: PROOF that it's not EMI, a subwoofer, neighbor's phone, bad wiring, et

Hello yourtruck,

I truly appreciate that you took your valuable time to let us know that you are experiencing intermittent connection issue with your AT&T Internet services and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.  

After trying all the troubleshooting (suggested in this forums) to resolved the intermittent connection issue, if the intermittent connection if the issue persists, I would suggest you to contact AT&T technical voice help desk at 1-877-722-3755 (open 24/7) and troubleshoot according to their recommendation, if require they will perform a line test on your AT&T DSL line and escalated further.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 9 (1,623 Views)
Tutor

Re: Intermittent connections: PROOF that it's not EMI, a subwoofer, neighbor's phone, bad wiring, et

YEP...

Same router, same problems, same bogus suggestions, and nothing has fixed the problem yet.

Message 3 of 9 (1,623 Views)
Contributor

I have the very same issue with this 2 wire and have been on the phone for 2 hours and they can not fix it.  Now a tech will be out tomorrow.  This is ridiculous.

Message 4 of 9 (1,623 Views)

I have the same issues, yet another tech coming tomorrow (that makes 5 since Feb 2010). Will go home and try your solutions to look up outtages.

My service worked very well the first 7 months in our house, then since Feb 2010 it's been intermittent and slow.

Many phone calls, tech visits and a new att 2wire modem later, still having the same problem. 

[Edit per Community Guidelines]

Message 5 of 9 (1,623 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

I have been dealing with this problem since june. I have had 5 technicians and still nothing. Same problem. Needs to be done.

Message 6 of 9 (1,623 Views)
Contributor

Same issue - hours on the phone, techs and BS "we fixed it from AT&T " - and not a thing has changed.  Next option - new service from another provider - I am paying for always on - not getting it and AT&T is blowing it off.

Message 7 of 9 (1,623 Views)
Teacher

someones droppin the ball

Message 8 of 9 (695 Views)
Former Moderator

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 9 of 9 (687 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.