Intermittent Connection Problems

Contributor

Intermittent Connection Problems

Hi. I have a home network with a Westell B90 modem and a Linksys WRT320N Ihave the Westell in Bridge mode. The past few days I have been having some serious connection problems where the router looses the IP from the modem and disconnects. I guess they call that syncing. A tech came out today and installed a splitter that seperates the phone from the internet but now my phones dont work, that is another call for Monday. My internet is up however. The connections come quite frequently and the ethernet light remains solid along with the DSL light. The moden self test shows fine. I have tried 2 routers with the same result. The connection dropped as we speak. I have tried changing cables and all kinds of things to correct the issue. I work at home and I am loosing money from this hapenning. After about 5 minutes it will SYc again and go through another cycle. Is it possible the modem is going bad? When it workd it is fast. Any help with this would be great!! Thanks again.

Message 1 of 3
Contributor

Re: Intermittent Connection Problems

I just wanted to mention that just before the thing quits, the connection slows down considerably first. It often happens . I did a full reset and reconfiguartion of the modem as well. It dropped again as we speak. all loghts are solid inc Power, DSL and ethernet blinks on occasion as it is trying to find an IP address and sync with the router.

Message 2 of 3
Former Moderator

Re: Intermittent Connection Problems

Hello joe42353,

Please accept our sincerest apologies regarding the current situation you are in, and thank you for posting your concern here in the DSL Forums. Basing on the information that you have given so far, it is possible that the modem is bad. When the technician who came out installed a splitter, that was supposed to eliminate any noise that may be coming from the phone and could be affecting your DSL service. When a splitter is installed, usually the light affected on the modem is the DSL light. When there's too much interference going on, the DSL light would start to flash, thus causing you to lose signal. But since you mentioned that you have tried several cables, two routers with the same results and that it also slows down first before it goes down, it is highly probable that the DSL modem itself is the one that is not synching with the signal and not the router. To narrow down any issues that may be occuring with the router, try to use the connection with just the modem and observe how it goes for at least a few days, just to check if it's a modem, router or line problem.

I highly recommend though that you contact our Help Desk to gain assistance in fixing this issue as well as to get this reported. Should you need further help regarding your post, please feel free to reply to this thread or you may call our Technical Support Helpdesk. You may reach them at 1 888 321 2375 if you are from these states - KY, TN, NC, SC, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL; and 1 877 722 3755 if you are located in CA, NV, KS, MO, OK, AR, TX, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, CT.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 3 of 3
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

Additional Support