Posted Apr 3, 2012
11:49:04 PM
View profile
Important questions RE: Pace 4111n modem/router

Hello:

I GREATLY appreciate anyone taking the time to read this:

An electrical storm recently killed our Speadstream modem and TP-Link (wired) router.  I had all 3 of our mac computers "wired" to them because I have sensitivity issues with wireless devices.  (I know it sounds crazy, but it's real and if anyone has ever experienced it you know what I'm taking about)  Anyways, AT&T suggested their modem/router combo Pace 4111N.  I have a couple of questions: 

1) Can I connect my computers to this device using my Cat6 ethernet cables and NOT use the wireless option?  

2) Will there still be wireless signals emitted even if everything is wired?  

3) If so, is there a way to turn the wireless off?

4) Any personal experiences with the Pace 4111N?  I’ve read mixed reviews.

Questions 2 & 3 are the most important to me because of my health. I really appreciate your help and welcome any suggestions.  Thank you so much!

Russell

Important questions RE: Pace 4111n modem/router

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2012 8:37:58 AM
(0)
Contributor
Is there anyone out there that can/will help?!?

Re: Important questions RE: Pace 4111n modem/router

2 of 5 (4,280 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2012 9:47:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

CypressMoon wrote:

Hello:

I GREATLY appreciate anyone taking the time to read this:

An electrical storm recently killed our Speadstream modem and TP-Link (wired) router.  I had all 3 of our mac computers "wired" to them because I have sensitivity issues with wireless devices.  (I know it sounds crazy, but it's real and if anyone has ever experienced it you know what I'm taking about)  Anyways, AT&T suggested their modem/router combo Pace 4111N.  I have a couple of questions: 

1) Can I connect my computers to this device using my Cat6 ethernet cables and NOT use the wireless option?  Yes.

2) Will there still be wireless signals emitted even if everything is wired?  Not if you turn off the wireless.

3) If so, is there a way to turn the wireless off?  Yes.

4) Any personal experiences with the Pace 4111N?  I’ve read mixed reviews.  Only what I've read about the specs, and for me the advatages are exactly what your trying to avoid, the "N" MIMO wireless.

Questions 2 & 3 are the most important to me because of my health. I really appreciate your help and welcome any suggestions.  Thank you so much!

Russell

Not sure if your sensitive to certain frequencies and/or strengths of signals, but many consumer electronic devices emanate RF energy, like microwave ovens and certain remotes for TVs.

If you don't want to deal with the wireless on the gateway at all, you could order the Netgear 6200, but that unit only has one ethernet port, so if you have more than one computer you will need additional hardware, like an ethernet switch or non-wireless router if the 6200 does not have an integrated DHCP server.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 5 (4,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2012 9:58:21 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I'm not very network-literate.

Regarding your respones to question 4, I don't exactly understand the MIMO mention, but I guess it deals with the wireless connection and speed.  Do you think if I have everything "wired" with good ethernet cables, we will still get fairly good interent speed?

Thank you again,

Russell

4 of 5 (4,274 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2012 9:03:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

CypressMoon wrote:

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I'm not very network-literate.

Regarding your respones to question 4, I don't exactly understand the MIMO mention, but I guess it deals with the wireless connection and speed. Yes.

Do you think if I have everything "wired" with good ethernet cables, we will still get fairly good interent speed?  Yes.

Thank you again,

Russell

A wired connection will beat any wireless connection in reliability and speed, but regardless of the type of connection, your internet connection speed will be far less than your local network speed, so wired or wireless, your three Macs will not overload your local network before they overload your internet connection.

The Netgear 6200 should be a fairly direct replacement for your Speedstream, you'll just have to find another TP-Link or something similar.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 5 (4,252 Views)