IFITL - Slowwwww.... Will we EVER get upgraded?

Tutor

IFITL - Slowwwww.... Will we EVER get upgraded?

My IFITL service has been at around 200-500k for several weeks. It has been going up/down in speed like this for the last couple of years. I don't understand anything other than the fact that AT&T seems to have left us former Bellsouth fiber customers in the dust without any plans for upgrading soon. I have been round the block with support a couple times over the past year, but they cannot solve the problem. In the meantime, I'm paying good money for poor service. Since Americast was our former cable service provider and they are now gone, my only option is to go to a wireless service like Clear. Is there anyone out there who knows if U-Verse or some other alternative is coming for us? I am tired of being held hostage here in Suwanee, Ga. (Not to mention that AT&T must be bleeding IFITL customers like crazy...)
Message 1 of 11 (1,908 Views)
Employee

Re: IFITL - Slowwwww.... Will we EVER get upgraded?

Hi kurtd123,

I understand your frustration regarding this very slow speed issue and I am really sorry for that. There are actually several reasons that could cause slow speeds, including defective wiring, network issues, defective modem, distance from Central Office, Electromagnetic Interference (EMI), and extreme weather. If you already tried all the basic troubleshooting steps such as deleting cache and cookies, restarting your computer, resetting your LAN settings, and eliminating EMI sources, you really need to call us here so that we can run some tests. We need to look for results like significant packet loss for possible technician dispatch.

You can reach our technical support team at 888.321.2375.

Regarding the update plans, AT&T will be converting all IFITL customers to the new Ericsson FTTx (Fiber to the Curb/Premise) platform over the coming year. Once the IFITL customer has been converted, they will no longer have FastAccess DSL and will begin being supported by the U-verse High Speed Internet Help Desks.

For questions about the conversion process, you can contact Kennesaw U-Verse Help Desk at 877-322-5257 for further assistance.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 11 (1,907 Views)
Tutor

I have gone through tech support and had a technician come out twice without him finding anything. My gut tells me it is the IFITL network that is the problem. I am sure that AT&T is minimizing the expense and investment in this infrastructure if they are planning to upgrade in the next year. If we (customers) were better informed about the upgrade plans, we would be less likely to complain as much or consider other providers. (In fact, I would UNDERSTAND this as completely acceptable if we had a date certain for conversion .) IFITL, up until the last 12-18 months, was a sterling service and the speed limitations did not bother me because this was more than offset by the reliability.
Message 3 of 11 (1,907 Views)
Contributor

This sounds like good news... have been waiting for IFITL (which was once state of the art) to be upgraded in my neighborhood in St. Augustine, FL.  Same story... almost willing to switch to Clear to get faster speeds, despite some very bad reviews on that service.

Is the information given regarding upgrade to UVERSE in Atlanta the same for here is St. Augustine, FL?  Calling to tech support yields no answers on upgrade timeline.

Message 4 of 11 (1,907 Views)
Highlighted
Former Moderator

Hello there GTDaveMac,

I extend my gratitude to you for contacting us about this issue through the forums and please, accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you have experienced. Usually with IFITL, it is a problem on the lines outside yet Slow speed issue has a lot of contributing factors to look at; real-time assessment and tests should be done to fix it properly. Please call us in Technical Support to assist you accordingly.

*Please call us at 888.321.2375 and just tell the machine "Technical Support" to make things faster.

By the way we're open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

With regard to any upgrade on your area, it is best that you contact our Sales or Customer Service department for DSL and Uverse to update you on the availability of the service in your area and also to check up some other options you have. Thank you for your understanding.

*For DSL, please call us at 888.321.2375 and just tell the machine "Sales" to make things faster.

Hours of Operation would be from Monday to Friday: 8:00 am - 7:00 pm EST, Saturday: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm EST and on Sunday they're Closed.

*For Uverse Sales, Service & Billing 1-800-288-2020.

Monday through Friday:8 am to 7 pm CT, Saturday: 8 am to 5 pm CT and on Sunday they're Closed.

Should you need further help regarding your post, please feel free to reply on this thread.

For quick answers, make the new AT&T Help site your first stop. Visit http://www.att.com/esupport/ where you'll find pages of product information to assist you.

Thank you for choosing At&t where we value your Business.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 5 of 11 (1,907 Views)
Contributor

This is just a shot in the dark and may not help, as I've got DFITL, but my service has experienced such slow dones several times over the last two years, with exactly the same support experience you had, until I got one technician that found the problem. Somehow (he never could determine how), my account's "profile" in their system had gotten "corrupted" and reset to a lower speed limit. He had them rebuild the profile at the higher (3 MB) limit for which I was paying, and my speeds returned.

The interesting thing is that in the two times it has happened since then, the tech personal were unable to figure this out. After running all their tests, they told me the service was fine up to my house and that they could schedule a tech to come to my house, but there would be a charge if everything was fine outside the house. In both cases, I persisted in asking to get it escalated up to a tech person who could check the profile, and when I eventually did, they had the profile rebuilt and voila, the speed returned.

It is frustrating that the lower level tech support people don't have this in their knowledge base as a possible problem, as it has NEVER been checked by any of the first line tech support people. It's only after it gets escalated up a level or two that I even get someone who knows what I'm talking about, and with the exception of that one lone guy, I've always had to be the one to tell them what to check. I hope that by now they've fixed your problem, but if not, maybe this has an outside chance of being the problem.

Message 6 of 11 (1,907 Views)
Contributor

BTW, thanks, pamelaz, for your patient and tireless work moderating these forums. It must be frustrating, as most of the posters are people who are extremely upset with their service or support, and for many of us (myself included), you are the one bright spot we've encountered. I've followed the board for some time to try to find answers to my problems, but only recently posted. Thanks again.

Message 7 of 11 (1,907 Views)
Contributor

Pamelaz,

I am in the same boat as GTDaveMac.  I am also in St. Augustine, and took your advice and called the sales area to check to see if/when I would be upgraded from my current IFITL line.  45 minutes and 4 different reps later, not a single person knew what I was talking about.  Is there somewhere I could find out about when this upgrade will occur????

Thank you!!

Message 8 of 11 (1,897 Views)
Former Moderator

Hello stkim3011,

I am sorry that you have to go through this unpleasant experience and I apologize for the inconvenience. In order to answer the query about the IFITL upgrade, it is important to consider the availability of the service in your area. We do have here a link where you can enter your telephone number to check for availability. Kindly access this link:

http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=7320. I understand that you were waiting for 45 minutes to get an agent from sales however, this issue is best resolved when working together with them because they are authorized to place any order requests and can provide you further information if indeed there is an upgrade in your area. You may contact them at this number 888.757.6500 open Monday - Friday: 8:00 am - 7:00 pm EST Saturday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST. I would suggest you contact them during opening hours to avoid the queue.

Should you need further help regarding your post, please feel free to reply on this thread.

For quick answers, make the new AT&T Help site your first stop. Visit http://www.att.com/esupport/ where you'll find pages of product information to assist you.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple

Message 9 of 11 (1,865 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pamelaz,

Thanks for the response.  I think you misunderstood what I wrote.  I currently have an IFITL line with DSL connection.  I did call the sales number and spoke with 4 different sales reps, none of whom had any idea about what IFITL was and no knowledge of the transition to U-Verse.  The length of the call in total was 45 minutes, most of which was hold time.

I did check availability and it shows that I am only eligible for the DSL that I have currently. 

What I am looking for is two things:

1. Is the conversion of IFITL to U-Verse via the Ericsson FTTx actually occurring in the Southeast?

2. When can I expect this to occur in my area (St. Augustine, FL).

Thank you.

Message 10 of 11 (1,795 Views)
Former Moderator

Hello stkim3011,

Thank you for your reply in this thread and I apologize for your experience with us.

You can check on the availability of U-verse using your complete address. You can check it on att.com/u-verse .

I highly recommend that you contact U-verse and their Sales department.

You can contact them at 1-800-288-2020 .They are open from Monday to Friday 8AM - 7PM CT , Saturday 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM EST and closed on Sunday.

You can also reach them through chat by using this link:

https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_uverse.aspx

Thank you for choosing AT&T where we value your Business.

Message 11 of 11 (930 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.