Helpful Links

I want to turn off wireless and go wired

Contributor

I want to turn off wireless and go wired

it may sound crazy but for various reasons i want to turn my home network from wireless to wired. I've set up netgear power adapters and have established wired connection w/ ethernet. I've disabled the wireless on my laptop, but the 2Wire dsl modem/router is still transmitting wireless signal. Does anyone know if i can turn off the wireless and just use the 2Wire as an ethernet router? Or do i have to get a different modem/router?  Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 11
Tutor

Re: I want to turn off wireless and go wired

I am interested in doing this also. I called into tech support and was told to disable SSID broadcast but according to the user guide all that does is keep the SSID name from appearing on the list of available networks. The radio is still broadcasting. What I want to do is configure a dual band wireless router as an access point and only use the 2wire as a dsl modem and local DHCP server for the access point. Does anyone have any idea how to do this? 

Message 2 of 11
Expert

I am not using the same 2Wire, but try this:

http://192.168.1.254/

Look for Wireless, and there will be a button or drop-down menu to DISABLE it.  There should be a Save button somewhere on the same page; make sure to hit that when you're through.

Message 3 of 11
Tutor

I have just tried to copy/paste the section of the documentation that covers wireless for the 2wire2701HG and was not successful. But under the "home network" tab, I clicked "wireless settings". Under that tab it has "identify Network" where you give it an SSID name and the wireless channel. Then it has an option to "enable" SSID broadcast and it explains that this will allow the name to be broadcast publicly. After that it has settings for network security and wireless protocol..802.11b or g or n. There is no button or dropdown menu that I can find to DISABLE wireless. The documentation can be found here: 

http://support.2wire.com/view/765/2701HG_user_guide.pdf

thanks

bill

Message 4 of 11
Tutor

Oik....so I must just not be very observant at all. I just looked at the documentation for the umpteenth time and I find under the "view network summary portion" of the "Home Network"  tab a box called "status at a glance". Inside that box is an area called "local interfaces". Beside the Wireless and USB lines are buttons labeled "DISABLE". That would leave you to believe that you really can disable wireless radio. Lets hope so. 

Message 5 of 11
Expert

Did it work?

On the Uverse side, we had 2 different URLs for access--the one I posted, and another with the same, but /mdc after it (Mgmt. Diagnostic Console).  Our interface has been totally redesigned and combines both URLs into one.

If you can access it via 192.168.1.254/mdc, would give you more control.

Take a look below at the sidebar (pg. 68 from the posted link to manual)--look under Local Network--Wireless.

MDC.jpg

Message 6 of 11
Expert

Just as an example, here's what we (UV) see on this page:

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1

I don't think your page will look the same, but you should be able to find something like this.

UV2wire.jpg

Message 7 of 11
Tutor

Well, I thought I was going to get back to it tomorrow but looks like it will be the weekend now. The 2wire is at my daughters house about 2 hours away.  I should be able to get to it this weekend and I will let you know if it works.  I plan on turning wireless off, set up the 2wire to work as a bridge into a netgear dual band wireless router. The netgear is working currently but the adsl interface is not very stable. I am hopeful that by putting the 2wire in front of it to terminate the adsl it will be more stable. We will see. Thanks again for the help.

Message 8 of 11
Expert

Wish I could help more, but once you get in there, let me know.

When I had regular ATT DSL, I didn't have any Wireless devices (to turn off the WAP), back in the dark ages. Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 11
Tutor

Well...I am a happy camper. I turned wireless off the 2wire, set it up in bridge mode, hooked it into the net gear on the wan port and so far everything is working. Thanks so much for the help.
Message 10 of 11
Expert

YW, glad you found what you needed. Smiley Wink  Enjoy!

Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues, we are here to chat!

Additional Support