Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Sep 8, 2009
4:29:15 PM
View profile
I DO NOT LIKE MY AT&T DSL SERVICE!!

I have used cable internet for several years. I have decided to switch from cable to DirectTV and in turn I switched my internet service to AT&T DSL. I have had it for three weeks now and I do believe that my service is down more than it is running!! I call every time my modem light turns red, and the automated message tells me that service is down in my area. Does anyone else have as many problems as I do? I am thinking about deducting from my bill for every day that I am down!

I have used cable internet for several years. I have decided to switch from cable to DirectTV and in turn I switched my internet service to AT&T DSL. I have had it for three weeks now and I do believe that my service is down more than it is running!! I call every time my modem light turns red, and the automated message tells me that service is down in my area. Does anyone else have as many problems as I do? I am thinking about deducting from my bill for every day that I am down!

I DO NOT LIKE MY AT&T DSL SERVICE!!

38 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(38)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2009 4:20:32 PM
(0)
Employee
Note: If option 1 doesn't work very well, go for option 2, that by far works for me and I have a linksys(DD-WRT) and a 2210-02 modem. Short of the firmware I changed 2 days ago, I have been up 56 days prior.
Note: If option 1 doesn't work very well, go for option 2, that by far works for me and I have a linksys(DD-WRT) and a 2210-02 modem. Short of the firmware I changed 2 days ago, I have been up 56 days prior.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: I DO NOT LIKE MY AT&T DSL SERVICE!!

31 of 39 (593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2009 3:39:13 PM
(0)
Tutor
I use the modem that the phone company (at the time Bellsouth) sent me, Westell VERSALINK Model 327W. I've gone through those steps several times when I call customer support and no matter what settings the are on the modem, the problem persist, (It's even gotten so bad my wife now notices, and she doesn't use the internet nearly as much as I do) that's why i'm convinced there is something wrong with the service or line. Or maybe AT&T has an updated modem or something that doesn't drop the connection every half hour. Anyway, thanks for your concern on trying to remedy this unfortunate situation, I'll call AT&T as soon as I can to ask about updated my modem if possible.
I use the modem that the phone company (at the time Bellsouth) sent me, Westell VERSALINK Model 327W. I've gone through those steps several times when I call customer support and no matter what settings the are on the modem, the problem persist, (It's even gotten so bad my wife now notices, and she doesn't use the internet nearly as much as I do) that's why i'm convinced there is something wrong with the service or line. Or maybe AT&T has an updated modem or something that doesn't drop the connection every half hour. Anyway, thanks for your concern on trying to remedy this unfortunate situation, I'll call AT&T as soon as I can to ask about updated my modem if possible.

32 of 39 (593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2009 3:55:12 PM
(0)
Employee
Might check your local wal-mart.. Last check they were selling them there for about $55 including taxes and you got the whole kit, new filters and cables and new modem.

Might be worth checking out!
So far my 2210-02 straight out of the box has now been up approx. 12 days now.
Might check your local wal-mart.. Last check they were selling them there for about $55 including taxes and you got the whole kit, new filters and cables and new modem.

Might be worth checking out!
So far my 2210-02 straight out of the box has now been up approx. 12 days now.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

33 of 39 (593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2009 6:16:30 AM
(0)
Contributor
have 2 dsl lines one just dsl and that the one that is giving me all the trouble, the newest problems is wed 730pme est it went out and did not come back tell sat some time in the after noon got a how 5 hours then it out again. called and they said it would be out untill monday around 12 noon. fathers line has never had any trouble has worked great my line on the other hand has had 5 modems all replaced by att cause they said it was there problem. I have asked why can they not fix this in a more timely manner but that get me no where. You would think if mine not work for 5 days going on 6 at all u could move me and the other 61 people to a different box or something or even rebuild the whole system in 6 days. The reason i say 61 people with out internet is cause that is what a tech person told me trying to help me. If it was not for the tech people i would have gone to cable long time ago, and if i can just get cable internet i may go that way cause this is just plan said! but there not open on the weekend to talk to unless u have problems or want new service and i want to ask a few question before i do that.
have 2 dsl lines one just dsl and that the one that is giving me all the trouble, the newest problems is wed 730pme est it went out and did not come back tell sat some time in the after noon got a how 5 hours then it out again. called and they said it would be out untill monday around 12 noon. fathers line has never had any trouble has worked great my line on the other hand has had 5 modems all replaced by att cause they said it was there problem. I have asked why can they not fix this in a more timely manner but that get me no where. You would think if mine not work for 5 days going on 6 at all u could move me and the other 61 people to a different box or something or even rebuild the whole system in 6 days. The reason i say 61 people with out internet is cause that is what a tech person told me trying to help me. If it was not for the tech people i would have gone to cable long time ago, and if i can just get cable internet i may go that way cause this is just plan said! but there not open on the weekend to talk to unless u have problems or want new service and i want to ask a few question before i do that.

34 of 39 (593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2009 1:02:02 PM
(0)
Employee

james wrote:
Ok so there is two DSL lines there, and one is working just fine? I would say if the one is working flawlessly then the field person should be finding out why the other one is not.

james wrote:
Ok so there is two DSL lines there, and one is working just fine? I would say if the one is working flawlessly then the field person should be finding out why the other one is not.

35 of 39 (593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2009 5:00:17 PM
(0)
Guru
Has the Phone Compant sent someone out to check the phone lines. I had that trouble and also while on the internet at a web site it would go down. Our phone lines have been up for 30 years and problems do occur. The repairman went down the street climbed the pole and I have had no problem since. Did you have any static on your phone line?
Has the Phone Compant sent someone out to check the phone lines. I had that trouble and also while on the internet at a web site it would go down. Our phone lines have been up for 30 years and problems do occur. The repairman went down the street climbed the pole and I have had no problem since. Did you have any static on your phone line?

36 of 39 (593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2009 9:04:07 AM
(0)
Guru
I had problems with the AT&T High Speed DSL 6.0 initially. I downloaded the AT&T Support Tool and when the RED LIGHT comes on, the Support Tool does it's thing. I also suffered through phone calls with people that I had trouble understanding and would ask to speak to an AMERICAN!!! Also Local Area Connection 2 or 3 can reconnect you to the Internet.
I had problems with the AT&T High Speed DSL 6.0 initially. I downloaded the AT&T Support Tool and when the RED LIGHT comes on, the Support Tool does it's thing. I also suffered through phone calls with people that I had trouble understanding and would ask to speak to an AMERICAN!!! Also Local Area Connection 2 or 3 can reconnect you to the Internet.

37 of 39 (593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2010 8:14:27 AM
(0)
Contributor

reamss wrote:

---------------------- I tottaly agree - att would have been out of business some time ago but they snake their way into the internet highway- what they did to correct their problems was to let the customers find the problems and the go from there - this was a total crap shoot so to speak for them to succeed at it - that why they did a undercut on price for the month use. they are now starting to raise prices since they have customers using this antiquatic service

reamss wrote:

---------------------- I tottaly agree - att would have been out of business some time ago but they snake their way into the internet highway- what they did to correct their problems was to let the customers find the problems and the go from there - this was a total crap shoot so to speak for them to succeed at it - that why they did a undercut on price for the month use. they are now starting to raise prices since they have customers using this antiquatic service

38 of 39 (593 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2010 12:49:38 PM
(0)
Lithium Technologies

This thread is becoming more of a vent than troubleshooting, so I am going to close this.  If you would like to open a new thread to get some technical support, please feel free to do so!

Thanks,

Trey

This thread is becoming more of a vent than troubleshooting, so I am going to close this.  If you would like to open a new thread to get some technical support, please feel free to do so!

Thanks,

Trey

39 of 39 (593 Views)