Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Sep 8, 2009
4:29:15 PM
View profile
I DO NOT LIKE MY AT&T DSL SERVICE!!

I have used cable internet for several years. I have decided to switch from cable to DirectTV and in turn I switched my internet service to AT&T DSL. I have had it for three weeks now and I do believe that my service is down more than it is running!! I call every time my modem light turns red, and the automated message tells me that service is down in my area. Does anyone else have as many problems as I do? I am thinking about deducting from my bill for every day that I am down!

I have used cable internet for several years. I have decided to switch from cable to DirectTV and in turn I switched my internet service to AT&T DSL. I have had it for three weeks now and I do believe that my service is down more than it is running!! I call every time my modem light turns red, and the automated message tells me that service is down in my area. Does anyone else have as many problems as I do? I am thinking about deducting from my bill for every day that I am down!

I DO NOT LIKE MY AT&T DSL SERVICE!!

38 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(38)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2009 8:19:55 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hi

I have had similar problems recently.  Once I was connected to an offshore voice who had difficulty understanding English.  After about 20 minutes, she finally hung up on me.  The main problem I have is when the light is red and the internet service can't connect, there is no telephone number to call except the offshore number which is useless.  My i nternet light stays red now until the connection is completed then it becomes green.  I went through a night recently when the red light would knock me off after a few minutes and there was no one to call.  That was the worst experience I've had.  The service seems to have gotten worse since ATT teamed up with Yahoo.  I've been with ATT for several years and had minimal issues until recently.  I don't want to go with cable because I have Direct tv and like that service.  I hope others will reply also, as the red light sucks.  This is my second modem too, as the red light totally kicked me out several months ago.  The ATT service has declined.

Hi

I have had similar problems recently.  Once I was connected to an offshore voice who had difficulty understanding English.  After about 20 minutes, she finally hung up on me.  The main problem I have is when the light is red and the internet service can't connect, there is no telephone number to call except the offshore number which is useless.  My i nternet light stays red now until the connection is completed then it becomes green.  I went through a night recently when the red light would knock me off after a few minutes and there was no one to call.  That was the worst experience I've had.  The service seems to have gotten worse since ATT teamed up with Yahoo.  I've been with ATT for several years and had minimal issues until recently.  I don't want to go with cable because I have Direct tv and like that service.  I hope others will reply also, as the red light sucks.  This is my second modem too, as the red light totally kicked me out several months ago.  The ATT service has declined.

Re: I DO NOT LIKE MY AT&T DSL SERVICE!!

2 of 39 (1,462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2009 6:52:15 PM
(0)
Employee
Can you see if you get a stable signal at your nid/sni/gray test jack? http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/How-to-test-at-the-nidsnigray-test-jack-81693
Can you see if you get a stable signal at your nid/sni/gray test jack? http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/How-to-test-at-the-nidsnigray-test-jack-81693
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 39 (1,462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2009 8:28:51 AM
(0)
Employee

Hi David! Thank you for providing a very informative link in resolving dsl connectivity issues.

To all AT&T Forums members, please do not forget to read all the information first on that link before attempting a test just like what David stated there.

If you are in doubt, you may also contact the AT&T Technical Support for further assistance.

Hi David! Thank you for providing a very informative link in resolving dsl connectivity issues.

To all AT&T Forums members, please do not forget to read all the information first on that link before attempting a test just like what David stated there.

If you are in doubt, you may also contact the AT&T Technical Support for further assistance.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 39 (1,462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2009 7:54:16 PM
(0)
Tutor
I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! ATT is the only internet service that is provided in my apartment building. I bought the Elite package hoping to watch tv on-line but I honestly have to "reboot" the system several times during ONE PROGRAM!! It is horrible. Lately, I rather stare at the ceiling than go on-line if it requires staying connected for more than 15 minutes. As for checking to see if my problem is internal...I live in an apartment building!! I wouldn't even know where to find this box. Maybe I should move...
I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! ATT is the only internet service that is provided in my apartment building. I bought the Elite package hoping to watch tv on-line but I honestly have to "reboot" the system several times during ONE PROGRAM!! It is horrible. Lately, I rather stare at the ceiling than go on-line if it requires staying connected for more than 15 minutes. As for checking to see if my problem is internal...I live in an apartment building!! I wouldn't even know where to find this box. Maybe I should move...

5 of 39 (1,462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2009 12:43:15 PM
(0)
Employee
For apartment buildings (might have to check with the landlord). Some have a "apartment nid" (a box in a closet where your line comes in at) or most specify the kitchen jack as the nid. Unfortunately for apartments since you don't own the wiring in the building there is limited things you can do. Might check inside the modem at it's base ip address (either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.254) and see what the stats are. If the noise margins are below 6db on either the downstream or the upstream, you typically will have problems. For apartments, Most apartment dwellers (least the ones I run into) typically have linebacker or wire protection service. Either the tenant gets it or the landlord may have it. The landlord might also have a repair person for the IW as well. This is where you would check with your landlord. Typically for apartments a dispatch is probably going to be best overall.
For apartment buildings (might have to check with the landlord). Some have a "apartment nid" (a box in a closet where your line comes in at) or most specify the kitchen jack as the nid. Unfortunately for apartments since you don't own the wiring in the building there is limited things you can do. Might check inside the modem at it's base ip address (either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.254) and see what the stats are. If the noise margins are below 6db on either the downstream or the upstream, you typically will have problems. For apartments, Most apartment dwellers (least the ones I run into) typically have linebacker or wire protection service. Either the tenant gets it or the landlord may have it. The landlord might also have a repair person for the IW as well. This is where you would check with your landlord. Typically for apartments a dispatch is probably going to be best overall.

6 of 39 (1,462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2009 5:57:44 PM
(0)
Contributor
I just got DSL and am ahving issues like you. It will disconnect randomly and then might or might not connect again. Tried calling, no good. Once it came up, they hung up. Tried a chat tonight and, in my opion, got blown off. Still haven't turned off cable modem. Right now it is looking good.
I just got DSL and am ahving issues like you. It will disconnect randomly and then might or might not connect again. Tried calling, no good. Once it came up, they hung up. Tried a chat tonight and, in my opion, got blown off. Still haven't turned off cable modem. Right now it is looking good.

7 of 39 (1,462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2009 7:36:51 PM
(0)
Employee
Might see if you can get your stats from the 192.168.1.254 page in the modem. You can copy and post them here if you wish.
Might see if you can get your stats from the 192.168.1.254 page in the modem. You can copy and post them here if you wish.

8 of 39 (1,462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2009 1:02:47 PM
(0)
Contributor

I do not like your internet service at all. It is too slow for my area. I left Cable internet for AT&T because I heard so much about it, and now I am very disappointed. I think I need to go back to Cable.

I do not like DirecTV also. I was thinking that your bundled package would be cheaper but it is higher. Right now I am very unhappy. Thank to being mislead by an AT&T customer.

I do not like your internet service at all. It is too slow for my area. I left Cable internet for AT&T because I heard so much about it, and now I am very disappointed. I think I need to go back to Cable.

I do not like DirecTV also. I was thinking that your bundled package would be cheaper but it is higher. Right now I am very unhappy. Thank to being mislead by an AT&T customer.

9 of 39 (1,462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2009 1:18:30 PM
(0)
Employee
Well, is it slower or ? what's going on?
Well, is it slower or ? what's going on?

10 of 39 (1,462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2009 1:19:18 PM
(0)
Employee
Well you can send me a message via the contact link at the bottom of the post if you like. Thanks david
Well you can send me a message via the contact link at the bottom of the post if you like. Thanks david

11 of 39 (1,044 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2009 4:38:49 PM
(0)
Guru
OFF TOPIC: david, how come your contact link has disappeared?

is it not allowed to post links to personal sites? BOOO!!! :smileyhappy:

12 of 39 (1,044 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2009 6:03:18 PM
(0)
Employee

akee wrote:

not sure why? I do this monday thru friday over at dslreports.com currently. I thought it was established that I was the DSL go to guy by the mgrs to be earlier this year. They all had a meeting about it, it wasn't like it was anything special or not noticed. my dslreports.com links weren't personal sites. Well it's my contact page over there, but it's a public page. Wasn't a personal site at all. I had to go through this earlier this year with utalk.att.com as well.

akee wrote:

not sure why? I do this monday thru friday over at dslreports.com currently. I thought it was established that I was the DSL go to guy by the mgrs to be earlier this year. They all had a meeting about it, it wasn't like it was anything special or not noticed. my dslreports.com links weren't personal sites. Well it's my contact page over there, but it's a public page. Wasn't a personal site at all. I had to go through this earlier this year with utalk.att.com as well.

13 of 39 (1,044 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2009 9:37:53 PM
(0)
Contributor
We recently switched to AT&T from cable. I'm very unsatisfied. The ethernet light on our modem randomly flashes green and then the internet goes out. And there is so much static on the phone, I can't even make a call. (Yes, we are using the filter that came with the modem.) I spent over an hour on the phone trying to fix the problem. They determined that it must be a wire either outside or inside our home. So we scheduled an appointment for someone to come out. AT&T never showed up or called like they said they would. I'm ready to call and cancel it. It barely works.
We recently switched to AT&T from cable. I'm very unsatisfied. The ethernet light on our modem randomly flashes green and then the internet goes out. And there is so much static on the phone, I can't even make a call. (Yes, we are using the filter that came with the modem.) I spent over an hour on the phone trying to fix the problem. They determined that it must be a wire either outside or inside our home. So we scheduled an appointment for someone to come out. AT&T never showed up or called like they said they would. I'm ready to call and cancel it. It barely works.

14 of 39 (1,044 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2009 10:27:19 AM
(0)
Employee

jawells1501 wrote:
That sounds like something is not filtered right, does the static go away when the modem is off? If it does, there's another phone device not filtered properly.

jawells1501 wrote:
That sounds like something is not filtered right, does the static go away when the modem is off? If it does, there's another phone device not filtered properly.

15 of 39 (1,044 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2009 10:05:02 AM
(0)
Contributor
I like my DSL when it is actually working. It used to go out like this 3 times a week (everytime it goes out I give up on calling them and let it fix itself; usually a day and it's back). So with only 4 usable days out of the week with internet, that's pretty lame. I gave up on calling tech support because there is usually nothing they can do. They will always have me on the phone for at least an hour and tell me to do the same retarded stuff - reset modem, do this, unplug this, do that, same order, same result (nothing happens). I keep telling them the problem is somewhere between the ATM in the neighborhood and the login to the DNS (I am not stupid, but talking to a stupid person on the phone makes me angry). So, usually the problem consists of the modem suddenly losing contact with the DNS/Login server. I notice when this usually happens, my land line phone stops working (no dial tone, cant make or take calls etc). Usually I can piggy back on my neighbor's cable wifi and issue an online repair ticket. They usually have the phone fixed in a matter of hours, but the internet isn't usually restored with it. I am on their internet right now because low and behold my internet is down (no surprise). This time it has been down for 3 days and counting. I refuse to call tech support to waste 4 hours with them with no result. So ATT, here's a suggestion. FIND OUT THE PROBLEM! The problem usually consists of the modem etc working perfectly fine. The modem will usually stay synced up just fine. The problem is when it tries to login with the user/pass because it effectively can't even find or talk to the login server. I am surprised that you guys don't have a program/sensor system that monitors our dsl lines (your valued customers?) for when suddenly a bunch of us log off or stop responding to the DNS/Login server and not log back in (usually centered and localized within a neighborhood or sub division). How do I know it is localized in certain areas you ask? Well I have a business about 3 miles from here (yes it has a business account). Anytime the house has a problem with internet, I can drive over to the office to check on the internet to find it working. I usually have internet logs for both to compare and isolate the problem a bit more. The office and the house usually connect to the same DNS server (same IP). When one is down, the other is still connected to the very same DNS to begin with. This means I can rule out the DNS server. That means it is something before hand, the login mechanism between the neighborhood fiber to the central office! (ATM?) This means the link between the neighborhood to the central office is either broken (highly unlikely since it happens every other day) OR the **bleep** box needs some hardware in the neighborhood receptical needs replacing due to freezing/fried. Whatever it may be, ATT you need to get on the ball with this. It happens everywhere and all the **bleep** time. Online repair ticket doesn't let us enter a ticket in for it and points us to 'trouble shooting methods' instead. Let us enter online tickets for internet so a tech can check it out when he isn't busy sabotaging the lines. I am almost ready for cable again, slower but stable.
I like my DSL when it is actually working. It used to go out like this 3 times a week (everytime it goes out I give up on calling them and let it fix itself; usually a day and it's back). So with only 4 usable days out of the week with internet, that's pretty lame. I gave up on calling tech support because there is usually nothing they can do. They will always have me on the phone for at least an hour and tell me to do the same retarded stuff - reset modem, do this, unplug this, do that, same order, same result (nothing happens). I keep telling them the problem is somewhere between the ATM in the neighborhood and the login to the DNS (I am not stupid, but talking to a stupid person on the phone makes me angry). So, usually the problem consists of the modem suddenly losing contact with the DNS/Login server. I notice when this usually happens, my land line phone stops working (no dial tone, cant make or take calls etc). Usually I can piggy back on my neighbor's cable wifi and issue an online repair ticket. They usually have the phone fixed in a matter of hours, but the internet isn't usually restored with it. I am on their internet right now because low and behold my internet is down (no surprise). This time it has been down for 3 days and counting. I refuse to call tech support to waste 4 hours with them with no result. So ATT, here's a suggestion. FIND OUT THE PROBLEM! The problem usually consists of the modem etc working perfectly fine. The modem will usually stay synced up just fine. The problem is when it tries to login with the user/pass because it effectively can't even find or talk to the login server. I am surprised that you guys don't have a program/sensor system that monitors our dsl lines (your valued customers?) for when suddenly a bunch of us log off or stop responding to the DNS/Login server and not log back in (usually centered and localized within a neighborhood or sub division). How do I know it is localized in certain areas you ask? Well I have a business about 3 miles from here (yes it has a business account). Anytime the house has a problem with internet, I can drive over to the office to check on the internet to find it working. I usually have internet logs for both to compare and isolate the problem a bit more. The office and the house usually connect to the same DNS server (same IP). When one is down, the other is still connected to the very same DNS to begin with. This means I can rule out the DNS server. That means it is something before hand, the login mechanism between the neighborhood fiber to the central office! (ATM?) This means the link between the neighborhood to the central office is either broken (highly unlikely since it happens every other day) OR the **bleep** box needs some hardware in the neighborhood receptical needs replacing due to freezing/fried. Whatever it may be, ATT you need to get on the ball with this. It happens everywhere and all the **bleep** time. Online repair ticket doesn't let us enter a ticket in for it and points us to 'trouble shooting methods' instead. Let us enter online tickets for internet so a tech can check it out when he isn't busy sabotaging the lines. I am almost ready for cable again, slower but stable.

16 of 39 (1,044 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2009 10:58:21 AM
(0)
Tutor
Let me toss in a couple of points... I support a bunch of home users on both cable and DSL...both have their problems... DSL is distance limited to about 18,000 ft...depending on the condition of the wires ...your particular location may be restricted to 14,000 ft... If you call ATT support and you don;t like or can't understand the person...DEMAND to be switched to LEVEL 2 support... They may not want to do this, but INSIST on it...This will get you an American on American soil that knows what the hell is going on...Remember, the first level of support, these people work off step-by-step pages of troubleshooting...their knowledge is generally pretty thin... Sometimes the wires to your demarc need to be "reconnected" or maybe a wire got crossed...Have the ATT support people set up a visit with an ATT lineman, then get a confirming phone number and the ticket number...this gives you something to follow up with...
Let me toss in a couple of points... I support a bunch of home users on both cable and DSL...both have their problems... DSL is distance limited to about 18,000 ft...depending on the condition of the wires ...your particular location may be restricted to 14,000 ft... If you call ATT support and you don;t like or can't understand the person...DEMAND to be switched to LEVEL 2 support... They may not want to do this, but INSIST on it...This will get you an American on American soil that knows what the hell is going on...Remember, the first level of support, these people work off step-by-step pages of troubleshooting...their knowledge is generally pretty thin... Sometimes the wires to your demarc need to be "reconnected" or maybe a wire got crossed...Have the ATT support people set up a visit with an ATT lineman, then get a confirming phone number and the ticket number...this gives you something to follow up with...

17 of 39 (1,044 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2009 5:41:48 AM
(0)
Contributor
In my case the copper phone lines in my neighborhood were decaying to where our phone lines would go dead about every six months. The line tech had to switch out cable pairs on the poles to reestablish service. I had very slow DSL service. ATT eventually recognized the problem and had to connect my phone lines to the nearest fiber-optic junction three blocks away. Now I have moderately fast DSL with no phone line problems. Many problems are with decaying or improperly installed equipment outside your property.
In my case the copper phone lines in my neighborhood were decaying to where our phone lines would go dead about every six months. The line tech had to switch out cable pairs on the poles to reestablish service. I had very slow DSL service. ATT eventually recognized the problem and had to connect my phone lines to the nearest fiber-optic junction three blocks away. Now I have moderately fast DSL with no phone line problems. Many problems are with decaying or improperly installed equipment outside your property.

18 of 39 (1,044 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2009 9:41:19 AM
(0)
Contributor
I think this is our problem. We got a tech out to our house and "fixed" something on the line. We have found when our light flashes red we hook up a spare telephone then take it off the hook and the modem light turns green. I think the telephone acts like another filter. This is very annoying as you cannot telephone us. I wish we could get a fiber-optic line. Our telephone line becomes so fuzzy at times we have to call on the cell phone. I wish At&t would work harder on service.
I think this is our problem. We got a tech out to our house and "fixed" something on the line. We have found when our light flashes red we hook up a spare telephone then take it off the hook and the modem light turns green. I think the telephone acts like another filter. This is very annoying as you cannot telephone us. I wish we could get a fiber-optic line. Our telephone line becomes so fuzzy at times we have to call on the cell phone. I wish At&t would work harder on service.

19 of 39 (1,044 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2009 11:01:12 AM
(0)
Employee

35Rasp wrote:

hmmmm, that sounds like something is not filtered, does the "fuzzy" go away when the modem is off?

35Rasp wrote:

hmmmm, that sounds like something is not filtered, does the "fuzzy" go away when the modem is off?

20 of 39 (1,044 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2009 4:07:35 PM
(0)
Contributor
No, I hate this service and I have been with ATT for amost 10 years now. Currently I am unable to access the internet. This happens every 3 months and I go through the same round of troubleshooting each time. No I have not changed anything, no I have not added a fax machine, no I do not have anything else going on other than I shut off my computer at night and went to bed, only to wake up and try to log on and be told that the remote computer did not respond. This has been happening off and on for 2 years and I am sick of it. Right now they are trying to call the phone company - for what? Nothing has changed except with ATT. If you do not offer the DSL service in the area and you cannot support it and fix it - then let me save my $50 a month or use it with some other reliable provider.
No, I hate this service and I have been with ATT for amost 10 years now. Currently I am unable to access the internet. This happens every 3 months and I go through the same round of troubleshooting each time. No I have not changed anything, no I have not added a fax machine, no I do not have anything else going on other than I shut off my computer at night and went to bed, only to wake up and try to log on and be told that the remote computer did not respond. This has been happening off and on for 2 years and I am sick of it. Right now they are trying to call the phone company - for what? Nothing has changed except with ATT. If you do not offer the DSL service in the area and you cannot support it and fix it - then let me save my $50 a month or use it with some other reliable provider.

21 of 39 (1,366 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2009 12:54:42 PM
(0)
Employee

muffinmom wrote:
call the 877-722-3755 number and just say "disconnect service" Wouldn't that be just easier? seems like your mind is made up already.

muffinmom wrote:
call the 877-722-3755 number and just say "disconnect service" Wouldn't that be just easier? seems like your mind is made up already.

22 of 39 (1,366 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2009 1:53:35 PM
(0)
Contributor
David you must work for the company - if you did you should be concerned as to why there are so many complaints with the same service and it is basically the same complaint - it seems like the powers that be should be reading all of this and saying to themselves - Houston we have a problem.
David you must work for the company - if you did you should be concerned as to why there are so many complaints with the same service and it is basically the same complaint - it seems like the powers that be should be reading all of this and saying to themselves - Houston we have a problem.

23 of 39 (1,366 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2009 2:54:23 PM
(0)
Employee
Well sometimes it's better to give up than fight. I am not going to fight you on the issue. IIf you want my help that's fine. If you don't and just want to rant about it, hey that's ok too. I was emphasizing that there is choices out there. I have given up trying to fight some people, it's just better to let them die in their own frustration. Some people that I have had contact me just rant to do exactly that... just rant.

last one I had didn't even have DSL and he was ranting get this.... from a @rr.com mailbox.
The big question I had was "If you don't even have DSL, why rant about something you don't have?"
I digress none the less.
If you click on my name or see at the end of this message it should pull up my profile. If you want my help that's fine, if you don't that's fine as well. My point (although my typing is sometimes worse than my talking) is you have options out there and do what you see fit.
Well sometimes it's better to give up than fight. I am not going to fight you on the issue. IIf you want my help that's fine. If you don't and just want to rant about it, hey that's ok too. I was emphasizing that there is choices out there. I have given up trying to fight some people, it's just better to let them die in their own frustration. Some people that I have had contact me just rant to do exactly that... just rant.

last one I had didn't even have DSL and he was ranting get this.... from a @rr.com mailbox.
The big question I had was "If you don't even have DSL, why rant about something you don't have?"
I digress none the less.
If you click on my name or see at the end of this message it should pull up my profile. If you want my help that's fine, if you don't that's fine as well. My point (although my typing is sometimes worse than my talking) is you have options out there and do what you see fit.

24 of 39 (1,366 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2009 6:24:30 AM
(0)
Contributor
the telephone line is fuzzy with the modem off - it happened again with the California rains-- I called at&t -on line for over 45 minutes-- they agreed something wrong- will send a tech to check the line- We have a filter on the telephone- that's the first thing the tech check when he came to the house- It's so frustrating to loose connection-
the telephone line is fuzzy with the modem off - it happened again with the California rains-- I called at&t -on line for over 45 minutes-- they agreed something wrong- will send a tech to check the line- We have a filter on the telephone- that's the first thing the tech check when he came to the house- It's so frustrating to loose connection-

25 of 39 (1,366 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2009 7:10:00 PM
(0)
Tutor
Yes!!! i have been having the same problem with my DSL service. When I first got the service I had no problems at all, but recently my connection drops ALL OF THE TIME. It drops while I'm surfing, downloading, or playing games and it is very aggravating. Sometimes it drops for 2-5 mins, sometimes it drops for hours, either way that's not what I'm paying for and it's unacceptable. You can't send AT&T any emails regarding this issue (I've tried, they set up their site so it sends you in circles and you can't email them). Calling is no help, you are connected to a tech with absolutely no answers or no solution, they just keep you on the phone until it eventually comes back by itself (after an hour sometimes) making them believe they actually did something by making you reset the modem a dozen times. I'm so close to switching to cable, but I heard the grass isn't any greener over there either. I'm just left at the mercy of these ISP's. I better send this message before my connection drops again.
Yes!!! i have been having the same problem with my DSL service. When I first got the service I had no problems at all, but recently my connection drops ALL OF THE TIME. It drops while I'm surfing, downloading, or playing games and it is very aggravating. Sometimes it drops for 2-5 mins, sometimes it drops for hours, either way that's not what I'm paying for and it's unacceptable. You can't send AT&T any emails regarding this issue (I've tried, they set up their site so it sends you in circles and you can't email them). Calling is no help, you are connected to a tech with absolutely no answers or no solution, they just keep you on the phone until it eventually comes back by itself (after an hour sometimes) making them believe they actually did something by making you reset the modem a dozen times. I'm so close to switching to cable, but I heard the grass isn't any greener over there either. I'm just left at the mercy of these ISP's. I better send this message before my connection drops again.

26 of 39 (1,366 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2009 7:57:09 PM
(0)
Employee

blksentra2 wrote:

what light is going out? dsl or internet?

blksentra2 wrote:

what light is going out? dsl or internet?

27 of 39 (1,366 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2009 7:58:28 PM
(0)
Employee

35Rasp wrote:

if the phone line has static or any buzz on it with the DSL modem off, that's a phone line problem plain and simple. you can even file those reports online at http://www.att.com/repair you don't even have to call them to file it online!

35Rasp wrote:

if the phone line has static or any buzz on it with the DSL modem off, that's a phone line problem plain and simple. you can even file those reports online at http://www.att.com/repair you don't even have to call them to file it online!

28 of 39 (1,366 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2009 2:12:39 PM
(0)
Tutor
The "internet" light goes out, stays out for 5 mins or more, sometimes turns red, and then connection is restored after a few minutes. It interupts downloads, uploads, surfing, gaming, and anything else that requires a connection. This is really irritating because you can't send the company and emails regarding the problem, when you call once you finally get a hold of someone, they assume it's your system or modem that's screwed up and do nothing other than stay on the phone until it comes back anyway. This has always happened, but the connection drops were few and far between (like maybe once a month). I read somewhere that these problems arose once AT&T teamed up with Yahoo, and now that I think about it, when they teamed up this issue only got 100 times worse than at first. Now it happens at least 20-30 times A DAY.
The "internet" light goes out, stays out for 5 mins or more, sometimes turns red, and then connection is restored after a few minutes. It interupts downloads, uploads, surfing, gaming, and anything else that requires a connection. This is really irritating because you can't send the company and emails regarding the problem, when you call once you finally get a hold of someone, they assume it's your system or modem that's screwed up and do nothing other than stay on the phone until it comes back anyway. This has always happened, but the connection drops were few and far between (like maybe once a month). I read somewhere that these problems arose once AT&T teamed up with Yahoo, and now that I think about it, when they teamed up this issue only got 100 times worse than at first. Now it happens at least 20-30 times A DAY.

29 of 39 (1,366 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2009 4:17:56 PM
(0)
Employee
1. ) Ok, so just the "internet" light goes out? If yes and it's the only one proceed to next question.

2.) Do you have a 3rd party router such as but not limited to (linksys, dlink, netgear, etc., etc.) ?

3.) Does the router do DHCP to your DSL modem or PPPoE?
4.) If you answered with "PPPoE" change your router to DHCP (Note: if still dropping or you are already set to DHCP on PC or router do the following)
5.) Proceed with option1,
========OPTION 1============
a.) login to modem's IP address (this should be located with the paperwork or is typically the gateway IP when running "IPconfig" from a XP/Vista/& machine.
b.) In your browser put in the following "http://(gatewayIP)/" then press "enter" (note: this may be either a 192.168.1.254 or a 192.168.1.1 or some variation of that number)
-note: You may need the keycode off the bottom of the modem to make these changes. c.) this should bring up the modem's GUI page.
d.) on the left hand side there is 4-5 blue buttons, press the one that says "Advanced"
e.) when the mini-menu pops up (should be 8-9 new features you can choose) click on "Connection configuration"
f.) On that page change the following" Connection type" to "always attempt to connect"
g.) at the bottom of the page choose "Yes, use public IP address"
h.) press "save" (at this time the modem should ask you about restarting, click ok to do this)

======================OPTION 2====================================

a.) login to modem's IP address (this should be located with the paperwork or is typically the gateway IP when running "IPconfig" from a XP/Vista/& machine.
b.) In your browser put in the following "http://(gatewayIP)/" then press "enter"
-note: You may need the keycode off the bottom of the modem to make these changes. c.) this should bring up the modem's GUI page.
d.) on the left hand side there is 4-5 blue buttons, press the one that says "Advanced"
E.) go to "ppp location"
f.) select "Bridged Mode (PPPoE is not used). This mode must be used if you are connecting to a non-PPPoE network. Selecting this mode will cause the modem to automatically restart."
g.) select "save"
h.) modem will require a reboot after this

Final notes for this mode: This mode will render the modem's GUI to be non responsive. The modem becomes just that a dumb modem. Set your 3rd party router to do the PPPoE authentication and enjoy. Now your router will be responsible for your connection, and the modem will just be responsible for sync.

To enable your old interface back press the "reset" (pinhole) button on the back of the modem.
1. ) Ok, so just the "internet" light goes out? If yes and it's the only one proceed to next question.

2.) Do you have a 3rd party router such as but not limited to (linksys, dlink, netgear, etc., etc.) ?

3.) Does the router do DHCP to your DSL modem or PPPoE?
4.) If you answered with "PPPoE" change your router to DHCP (Note: if still dropping or you are already set to DHCP on PC or router do the following)
5.) Proceed with option1,
========OPTION 1============
b.) In your browser put in the following "http://(gatewayIP)/" then press "enter" (note: this may be either a 192.168.1.254 or a 192.168.1.1 or some variation of that number)
e.) when the mini-menu pops up (should be 8-9 new features you can choose) click on "Connection configuration"
f.) On that page change the following" Connection type" to "always attempt to connect"
g.) at the bottom of the page choose "Yes, use public IP address"
h.) press "save" (at this time the modem should ask you about restarting, click ok to do this)

======================OPTION 2====================================

b.) In your browser put in the following "http://(gatewayIP)/" then press "enter"
E.) go to "ppp location"
f.) select "Bridged Mode (PPPoE is not used). This mode must be used if you are connecting to a non-PPPoE network. Selecting this mode will cause the modem to automatically restart."
g.) select "save"
h.) modem will require a reboot after this

Final notes for this mode: This mode will render the modem's GUI to be non responsive. The modem becomes just that a dumb modem. Set your 3rd party router to do the PPPoE authentication and enjoy. Now your router will be responsible for your connection, and the modem will just be responsible for sync.

To enable your old interface back press the "reset" (pinhole) button on the back of the modem.

30 of 39 (1,366 Views)