I DO NOT LIKE MY AT&T DSL SERVICE!!

Contributor

I DO NOT LIKE MY AT&T DSL SERVICE!!

I have used cable internet for several years. I have decided to switch from cable to DirectTV and in turn I switched my internet service to AT&T DSL. I have had it for three weeks now and I do believe that my service is down more than it is running!! I call every time my modem light turns red, and the automated message tells me that service is down in my area. Does anyone else have as many problems as I do? I am thinking about deducting from my bill for every day that I am down!

Message 1 of 39 (1,521 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: I DO NOT LIKE MY AT&T DSL SERVICE!!

Hi

I have had similar problems recently.  Once I was connected to an offshore voice who had difficulty understanding English.  After about 20 minutes, she finally hung up on me.  The main problem I have is when the light is red and the internet service can't connect, there is no telephone number to call except the offshore number which is useless.  My i nternet light stays red now until the connection is completed then it becomes green.  I went through a night recently when the red light would knock me off after a few minutes and there was no one to call.  That was the worst experience I've had.  The service seems to have gotten worse since ATT teamed up with Yahoo.  I've been with ATT for several years and had minimal issues until recently.  I don't want to go with cable because I have Direct tv and like that service.  I hope others will reply also, as the red light sucks.  This is my second modem too, as the red light totally kicked me out several months ago.  The ATT service has declined.

Message 2 of 39 (1,502 Views)
Employee

Can you see if you get a stable signal at your nid/sni/gray test jack? http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/How-to-test-at-the-nidsnigray-test-jack-81693
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 39 (1,502 Views)
Employee

Hi David! Thank you for providing a very informative link in resolving dsl connectivity issues.

To all AT&T Forums members, please do not forget to read all the information first on that link before attempting a test just like what David stated there.

If you are in doubt, you may also contact the AT&T Technical Support for further assistance.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 39 (1,502 Views)

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! ATT is the only internet service that is provided in my apartment building. I bought the Elite package hoping to watch tv on-line but I honestly have to "reboot" the system several times during ONE PROGRAM!! It is horrible. Lately, I rather stare at the ceiling than go on-line if it requires staying connected for more than 15 minutes. As for checking to see if my problem is internal...I live in an apartment building!! I wouldn't even know where to find this box. Maybe I should move...
Message 5 of 39 (1,502 Views)
Employee

For apartment buildings (might have to check with the landlord). Some have a "apartment nid" (a box in a closet where your line comes in at) or most specify the kitchen jack as the nid. Unfortunately for apartments since you don't own the wiring in the building there is limited things you can do. Might check inside the modem at it's base ip address (either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.254) and see what the stats are. If the noise margins are below 6db on either the downstream or the upstream, you typically will have problems. For apartments, Most apartment dwellers (least the ones I run into) typically have linebacker or wire protection service. Either the tenant gets it or the landlord may have it. The landlord might also have a repair person for the IW as well. This is where you would check with your landlord. Typically for apartments a dispatch is probably going to be best overall.
Employee Contributor*
Message 6 of 39 (1,502 Views)
Contributor

I just got DSL and am ahving issues like you. It will disconnect randomly and then might or might not connect again. Tried calling, no good. Once it came up, they hung up. Tried a chat tonight and, in my opion, got blown off. Still haven't turned off cable modem. Right now it is looking good.
Message 7 of 39 (1,502 Views)
Employee

Might see if you can get your stats from the 192.168.1.254 page in the modem. You can copy and post them here if you wish.
Employee Contributor*
Message 8 of 39 (1,502 Views)
Contributor

I do not like your internet service at all. It is too slow for my area. I left Cable internet for AT&T because I heard so much about it, and now I am very disappointed. I think I need to go back to Cable.

I do not like DirecTV also. I was thinking that your bundled package would be cheaper but it is higher. Right now I am very unhappy. Thank to being mislead by an AT&T customer.

Message 9 of 39 (1,502 Views)
Employee

Well, is it slower or ? what's going on?
Employee Contributor*
Message 10 of 39 (1,502 Views)
Employee

Well you can send me a message via the contact link at the bottom of the post if you like. Thanks david
Employee Contributor*
Message 11 of 39 (1,084 Views)
Guru

OFF TOPIC: david, how come your contact link has disappeared?

is it not allowed to post links to personal sites? BOOO!!! :smileyhappy:
Message 12 of 39 (1,084 Views)
Employee

akee wrote:
OFF TOPIC: david, how come your contact link has disappeared?

is it not allowed to post links to personal sites? BOOO!!! :smileyhappy:
not sure why? I do this monday thru friday over at dslreports.com currently. I thought it was established that I was the DSL go to guy by the mgrs to be earlier this year. They all had a meeting about it, it wasn't like it was anything special or not noticed. my dslreports.com links weren't personal sites. Well it's my contact page over there, but it's a public page. Wasn't a personal site at all. I had to go through this earlier this year with utalk.att.com as well.
Employee Contributor*
Message 13 of 39 (1,084 Views)
Contributor

We recently switched to AT&T from cable. I'm very unsatisfied. The ethernet light on our modem randomly flashes green and then the internet goes out. And there is so much static on the phone, I can't even make a call. (Yes, we are using the filter that came with the modem.) I spent over an hour on the phone trying to fix the problem. They determined that it must be a wire either outside or inside our home. So we scheduled an appointment for someone to come out. AT&T never showed up or called like they said they would. I'm ready to call and cancel it. It barely works.
Message 14 of 39 (1,084 Views)
Employee

jawells1501 wrote:
We recently switched to AT&T from cable. I'm very unsatisfied. The ethernet light on our modem randomly flashes green and then the internet goes out. And there is so much static on the phone, I can't even make a call. (Yes, we are using the filter that came with the modem.) I spent over an hour on the phone trying to fix the problem. They determined that it must be a wire either outside or inside our home. So we scheduled an appointment for someone to come out. AT&T never showed up or called like they said they would. I'm ready to call and cancel it. It barely works.
That sounds like something is not filtered right, does the static go away when the modem is off? If it does, there's another phone device not filtered properly.
Employee Contributor*
Message 15 of 39 (1,084 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

Additional Support