Internet Forums

Posted Dec 28, 2010
2:13:12 PM
View profile
How to set up wireless router and other equip

Hi,

We already have AT&T internet, TV, and phone service bundled together. Recently, we've wanted to get wireless internet. We looked at some routers, and it seems like a simple process to install it. The only problem is, though, it says you must connect the router to a modem in order to transmit the wireless signal, and we can't seem to find it (originally we had a small black modem, but after we 'upgraded' our service we hand to sent it back. We have a some technical 'boxes' in the networking cabinet in the closet: are any of these the modem? And is anything account creation or extra fee required to have wi-fi? Please help!

Thanks

Hi,

We already have AT&T internet, TV, and phone service bundled together. Recently, we've wanted to get wireless internet. We looked at some routers, and it seems like a simple process to install it. The only problem is, though, it says you must connect the router to a modem in order to transmit the wireless signal, and we can't seem to find it (originally we had a small black modem, but after we 'upgraded' our service we hand to sent it back. We have a some technical 'boxes' in the networking cabinet in the closet: are any of these the modem? And is anything account creation or extra fee required to have wi-fi? Please help!

Thanks

How to set up wireless router and other equip

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2010 8:23:39 PM
(0)
AT&T Internet Expert
Edited by ATTMarianaCM on Aug 28, 2013 at 12:58:06 PM
Hi Cereskit,

In order to establish a wireless home network, you would require an ADSL wireless router (router with inbuilt modem) and computers with wireless capability. There is no need to create a new account or pay extra fee for the wireless connection. 

AT&T offers wireless routers like 2wire 2701 HG-B and Motorola Netopia 3347.

AT&T has an online store ( AT&T Equipment Shop)  where you can purchase new AT&T supported wireless routers.  You can access the web link to get information on the latest models of wireless routers.

For further assistance, we encourage you to contact AT&T DSL e-chat support from the web link provided below.

Since you have subsribed to the AT&T Internet, TV and phone services bundled together, it could be that you are an U-verse member. If so, we have a different web link for U-verse chat support . For further assistance, you can contact U-verse e-chat support by clicking the link below.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Hi Cereskit,

In order to establish a wireless home network, you would require an ADSL wireless router (router with inbuilt modem) and computers with wireless capability. There is no need to create a new account or pay extra fee for the wireless connection. 

AT&T offers wireless routers like 2wire 2701 HG-B and Motorola Netopia 3347.

AT&T has an online store ( AT&T Equipment Shop)  where you can purchase new AT&T supported wireless routers.  You can access the web link to get information on the latest models of wireless routers.

For further assistance, we encourage you to contact AT&T DSL e-chat support from the web link provided below.

Since you have subsribed to the AT&T Internet, TV and phone services bundled together, it could be that you are an U-verse member. If so, we have a different web link for U-verse chat support . For further assistance, you can contact U-verse e-chat support by clicking the link below.

Re: How to set up wireless router and other equip

[ Edited ]
2 of 4 (46,488 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2011 8:02:55 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by CrashGordon on Jan 1, 2011 at 8:16:29 PM

I know it's their job to try and sell you their equipment, but ANY router (that you can buy at a local store or online does) will work and depending on your needs might even be cheaper. I can tell you that none of the products in that link to the AT&T Equipment Shop can even come close to my Netgear WNDR3700 in terms of features/performance. Not suggesting thats the right one for you (it may be overkill for your needs and or budget), but there are plenty that will work for you. If you want wireless N, Gigabit Ethernet it looks like you'd be out of luck with the ones they offer (only two).

If you are able to connect to the 'net, then you have a modem of some sort, you'll just need to identify which "technical 'boxes' in the networking cabinet in the closet" it is. Once that's done and you have the router of your choice. I'd suggest connecting directly to the modem, log into it and set it in Bridge mode, then connect your router to it, log into the router and enter your DSL log in info (your username and password), set it to use PPPoE. Once that's done, setup the wireless security (and hopefully all your wireless devices support it) WPA2 with AES encryption is what I'd suggest with a STRONG key (the longer and more random the better). Don't use actual words (that can be found in a dictionary), use something like GRC.com's Perfect Passwords to generate one if you can't make one up yourself. Copy and paste it in notepad and save it to a USB key or something.

Thats the basics, left out a few details. I know most of that probably went over your head, but any more questions I'll try and help.

I know it's their job to try and sell you their equipment, but ANY router (that you can buy at a local store or online does) will work and depending on your needs might even be cheaper. I can tell you that none of the products in that link to the AT&T Equipment Shop can even come close to my Netgear WNDR3700 in terms of features/performance. Not suggesting thats the right one for you (it may be overkill for your needs and or budget), but there are plenty that will work for you. If you want wireless N, Gigabit Ethernet it looks like you'd be out of luck with the ones they offer (only two).

If you are able to connect to the 'net, then you have a modem of some sort, you'll just need to identify which "technical 'boxes' in the networking cabinet in the closet" it is. Once that's done and you have the router of your choice. I'd suggest connecting directly to the modem, log into it and set it in Bridge mode, then connect your router to it, log into the router and enter your DSL log in info (your username and password), set it to use PPPoE. Once that's done, setup the wireless security (and hopefully all your wireless devices support it) WPA2 with AES encryption is what I'd suggest with a STRONG key (the longer and more random the better). Don't use actual words (that can be found in a dictionary), use something like GRC.com's Perfect Passwords to generate one if you can't make one up yourself. Copy and paste it in notepad and save it to a USB key or something.

Thats the basics, left out a few details. I know most of that probably went over your head, but any more questions I'll try and help.

[ Edited ]
3 of 4 (46,376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2012 6:09:57 PM
(0)
Contributor

I just got AT&T DSL (Motorola 3360 DSL modem from Walmart). I had a Cisco linksys WRT120N wireless router from before. After hours of messing with it, what worked for me was first plug your pc directly into dsl modem and open Internet explorer (my Firefox wouldn't work) it should redirect you to dsl setup web page. Fill in the info, pick a username @att.net and pay attention for a 6 letter/number network code it gives you and write it down. I screwed this up the first time and found that if you log into the dsl modem directly (On my dsl modem I put 192.168.1.254 into web browser address bar, which was on a sticker on the bottom of it) there is a spot in those menus where you can enter attreg@att.net as user name and attreg as password, save, and it will take you thru setup again after you save, reset dsl modem, and open web browser. Anyways, log into dsl modem (192.168.1.254 for mine), click PPP location, select option for computer/router (bridged mode) then save. Unplug PC from dsl modem and plug PC into wireless router. Log into wireless router (mine is 192.168.1.1 by default) change Automatic Configuration - DHCP to PPPoE and put in your username@att.net for username and the 6 letter/number code you wrote down from that first dsl setup. Then change the local IP address of the router to 192.168.2.1 or anything where the second to last number is not 1 (not sure if this is necessary but I did it because I saw it suggested somewhere). Save settings. Unplug pc from wireless router and plug dsl modem into INTERNET plug on router. Cycle power on dsl modem and wireless router (unplug their power cords for a few sec then plug back in) and restart pc. After I did all that I was able to get to the Internet thru my wifi network. Public Service Announcement-If you haven't already, when you're logged into your wireless router, turn on the security for WPA2 if you have it as an option (anything is better than nothing) and make a password for it so your neighbors don't steal Internet off you. I probably looked at a dozen forums and tried a dozen things over like 3 hours and these settings finally worked for me. Good luck.

I just got AT&T DSL (Motorola 3360 DSL modem from Walmart). I had a Cisco linksys WRT120N wireless router from before. After hours of messing with it, what worked for me was first plug your pc directly into dsl modem and open Internet explorer (my Firefox wouldn't work) it should redirect you to dsl setup web page. Fill in the info, pick a username @att.net and pay attention for a 6 letter/number network code it gives you and write it down. I screwed this up the first time and found that if you log into the dsl modem directly (On my dsl modem I put 192.168.1.254 into web browser address bar, which was on a sticker on the bottom of it) there is a spot in those menus where you can enter attreg@att.net as user name and attreg as password, save, and it will take you thru setup again after you save, reset dsl modem, and open web browser. Anyways, log into dsl modem (192.168.1.254 for mine), click PPP location, select option for computer/router (bridged mode) then save. Unplug PC from dsl modem and plug PC into wireless router. Log into wireless router (mine is 192.168.1.1 by default) change Automatic Configuration - DHCP to PPPoE and put in your username@att.net for username and the 6 letter/number code you wrote down from that first dsl setup. Then change the local IP address of the router to 192.168.2.1 or anything where the second to last number is not 1 (not sure if this is necessary but I did it because I saw it suggested somewhere). Save settings. Unplug pc from wireless router and plug dsl modem into INTERNET plug on router. Cycle power on dsl modem and wireless router (unplug their power cords for a few sec then plug back in) and restart pc. After I did all that I was able to get to the Internet thru my wifi network. Public Service Announcement-If you haven't already, when you're logged into your wireless router, turn on the security for WPA2 if you have it as an option (anything is better than nothing) and make a password for it so your neighbors don't steal Internet off you. I probably looked at a dozen forums and tried a dozen things over like 3 hours and these settings finally worked for me. Good luck.

4 of 4 (38,398 Views)