Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Oct 5, 2010
12:36:22 PM
View profile
How to lose customers

I have been using At&T high speed DSL for close to a decade.  Today I tried to use their "web pages" and "service chat".

1) chat said use web pages

2) web pages said use chat

My first question is, why is my internet speed about 1/2 of advertised "Max" speeds.  Now I know there are many variables in the equation and it says “up to”, but 1/2 is nowhere near max speed.  I used 3 different speed tests/host locations during different times of the day rather than rely on one given source.  Additionally it seems to degrade with time, I have been on the service for a while.  Judging by the amount of AT&T trash I have picked up by the pole in the past month, AT&T is doing a lot of work in the neighborhood.  Unfortunately for me the work is further down the line from my connection as it is viewed by the service providers.

But when I try to ask a question on the web site, I run into the issue as stated above.

Secondly, I have static IPs, I was wanting to modify how AT&T treats my DNS.  Not only are there no tools to do this, I cannot find anything on the AT&T web site that even references this. While I am not a CCNA, I am not a complete newbie, well many CCNAs I have spoken with are newbies, but I digress.  If you look beyond the javascript errors most of the AT&T web pages generate (one has to enable error reporting in most browsers), some tools for people who use/pay for premium service might be nice.

On the positive side, I do not know if the phone number to get past first level support is still valid.  The people who have access to program the Richardson router gave it to me a long time ago because when I have a service disruption, I have already done the tests first level support asks.  I say this is a positive because I have not needed to use it in over 5 years.

I have been using At&T high speed DSL for close to a decade.  Today I tried to use their "web pages" and "service chat".

1) chat said use web pages

2) web pages said use chat

My first question is, why is my internet speed about 1/2 of advertised "Max" speeds.  Now I know there are many variables in the equation and it says “up to”, but 1/2 is nowhere near max speed.  I used 3 different speed tests/host locations during different times of the day rather than rely on one given source.  Additionally it seems to degrade with time, I have been on the service for a while.  Judging by the amount of AT&T trash I have picked up by the pole in the past month, AT&T is doing a lot of work in the neighborhood.  Unfortunately for me the work is further down the line from my connection as it is viewed by the service providers.

But when I try to ask a question on the web site, I run into the issue as stated above.

Secondly, I have static IPs, I was wanting to modify how AT&T treats my DNS.  Not only are there no tools to do this, I cannot find anything on the AT&T web site that even references this. While I am not a CCNA, I am not a complete newbie, well many CCNAs I have spoken with are newbies, but I digress.  If you look beyond the javascript errors most of the AT&T web pages generate (one has to enable error reporting in most browsers), some tools for people who use/pay for premium service might be nice.

On the positive side, I do not know if the phone number to get past first level support is still valid.  The people who have access to program the Richardson router gave it to me a long time ago because when I have a service disruption, I have already done the tests first level support asks.  I say this is a positive because I have not needed to use it in over 5 years.

How to lose customers

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2010 3:19:24 PM
(0)
Employee

Hello DCBOHN,

I truly appreciate that you took your valuable time to let us know that you are experiencing slow speed issue with your AT&T Internet services  and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

I would like to inform you that the speed of the connection depends on many factors like heavy Internet usage or Internet traffic. If there is heavy Internet traffic, the speed will drop accordingly. When the Internet usage is low (during off peak hours) the speed will increase. It will never stay at the maximum value.

I would suggest you to check your AT&T current Internet speed before performing trouble shooting steps mentioned below.

http://www.speedtest.net/ or http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

However, as you already tried to isolate the router and checked the speed and find no change. Please try the steps mentioned below:

1. Check your computer

Reboot by turning your computer and modem/router off and then back on again. Simply rebooting solves most connection problems.

2. Check your web browser

Clear the cache (temporary Internet files) in your web browser.
          * Clear the cookies in your web browser.

3. Check your connection

Make sure DSL line filters have been installed for all devices using the phone line.
          * Measure your connection
speed at our speed test site Want more speed? Upgrade to a faster Internet connection package.

Additional Steps

If the above steps did not improve your connection speed, try these additional steps:

However, AT&T will not impact if you have any DNS server configured in your network. The AT&T default DNS server settings for DSL connection are:
Primary: 68.94.156.1
Secondary:68.94.157.1

After trying all the above troubleshooting steps, If still the slow speed issue persist, I would suggest you to contact the AT&T voice technical help desk at 1-877-722-3755 (open 24/7). If require they will run a line test on your AT&T DSL line and help you accordingly.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Hello DCBOHN,

I truly appreciate that you took your valuable time to let us know that you are experiencing slow speed issue with your AT&T Internet services  and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

I would like to inform you that the speed of the connection depends on many factors like heavy Internet usage or Internet traffic. If there is heavy Internet traffic, the speed will drop accordingly. When the Internet usage is low (during off peak hours) the speed will increase. It will never stay at the maximum value.

I would suggest you to check your AT&T current Internet speed before performing trouble shooting steps mentioned below.

http://www.speedtest.net/ or http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

However, as you already tried to isolate the router and checked the speed and find no change. Please try the steps mentioned below:

1. Check your computer

Reboot by turning your computer and modem/router off and then back on again. Simply rebooting solves most connection problems.

2. Check your web browser

Clear the cache (temporary Internet files) in your web browser.
          * Clear the cookies in your web browser.

3. Check your connection

Make sure DSL line filters have been installed for all devices using the phone line.
          * Measure your connection
speed at our speed test site Want more speed? Upgrade to a faster Internet connection package.

Additional Steps

If the above steps did not improve your connection speed, try these additional steps:

However, AT&T will not impact if you have any DNS server configured in your network. The AT&T default DNS server settings for DSL connection are:
Primary: 68.94.156.1
Secondary:68.94.157.1

After trying all the above troubleshooting steps, If still the slow speed issue persist, I would suggest you to contact the AT&T voice technical help desk at 1-877-722-3755 (open 24/7). If require they will run a line test on your AT&T DSL line and help you accordingly.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: How to lose customers

2 of 2 (428 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments