Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Sep 5, 2011
3:32:42 PM
View profile
How to download web mail folders

I manage the computer for an AT&T DSL Internet customer who has been using AT&T/Yahoo email for several years. They use it in web-mail mode, and have accrued a substantial amount of historic email, all organized neatly within an extensive array of folders on the email server.

Is there a way to download this collection of email folders from the Yahoo server to our local computer? The reason for doing this is that if the customer moved elsewhere and the AT&T DSL service were thereby closed, the accumulated archive of email would be lost. Another reason is that it may be preferable for this customer to use an email client such as Thunderbird or Outlook, in which case it makes sense to have the entire archive of email folders available on the local computer.

From what I understand, the function I’m looking for appears to be possible with Yahoo Mail Plus. But does that apply to AT&T’s Yahoo email? The options on the AT&T web mail imply that we already have some of the Yahoo Mail Plus features such as email forwarding. The options even include “Allow your att.net mail to be POPed”, complete with a Help button. But the Help button goes to one of those unhelpful pages that says “The page you are looking for has moved, . . . ”. Thus I don’t really know whether the feature I need is available with AT&T email.

Thanks in advance for any assistance with this.

I manage the computer for an AT&T DSL Internet customer who has been using AT&T/Yahoo email for several years. They use it in web-mail mode, and have accrued a substantial amount of historic email, all organized neatly within an extensive array of folders on the email server.

Is there a way to download this collection of email folders from the Yahoo server to our local computer? The reason for doing this is that if the customer moved elsewhere and the AT&T DSL service were thereby closed, the accumulated archive of email would be lost. Another reason is that it may be preferable for this customer to use an email client such as Thunderbird or Outlook, in which case it makes sense to have the entire archive of email folders available on the local computer.

From what I understand, the function I’m looking for appears to be possible with Yahoo Mail Plus. But does that apply to AT&T’s Yahoo email? The options on the AT&T web mail imply that we already have some of the Yahoo Mail Plus features such as email forwarding. The options even include “Allow your att.net mail to be POPed”, complete with a Help button. But the Help button goes to one of those unhelpful pages that says “The page you are looking for has moved, . . . ”. Thus I don’t really know whether the feature I need is available with AT&T email.

Thanks in advance for any assistance with this.

How to download web mail folders

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2011 1:15:16 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by ATTMarianaCM on Sep 6, 2013 at 9:04:12 AM

Hi BwwG,

We can understand how important it is to store the archived mails.

There is an option to set up the AT&T e-mail account on popular third party e-mail programs like Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail etc.

However, please note that only the mails in the inbox of the online mail would be downloaded in the e-mail program.

The mails stored in the folders created in the web mail would not be downloaded. You can move all the mails from the folders to the inbox and this would then automatically download them to the e-mail program.

To have all messages, even those which Spamguard identifies as Spam, sent to an e-mail program, perform the following steps to edit the POP access in att.net Webmail.

Please sign in to the AT&T mail using att.yahoo.com/mail

Click Options in the upper-right corner of the page.

If you are using the All New Yahoo! Mail, click More Options in the menu that appears

If using Yahoo! Mail Classic, click Mail Options.

Click POP & Forwarding.

Select the radio button for Allow your att.net Mail to be POPed.

In the When POPing my messages drop-down menu, select include SPAM messages.

Note: For messages that SpamGuard thinks are spam, add [Bulk] as a prefix to the subject can be selected to add that prefix to the subject line of identified spam messages when sent to a client.

Click Save Changes

The following link would have basic configuration information which is important for any e-mail program to be able to send and receive e-mail using an AT&T e-mail address

www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401573

You would need to select the name of the e-mail program

For further assistance, please contact e-Chat support from the web link belo.

AT&T DSL Support

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Hi BwwG,

We can understand how important it is to store the archived mails.

There is an option to set up the AT&T e-mail account on popular third party e-mail programs like Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail etc.

However, please note that only the mails in the inbox of the online mail would be downloaded in the e-mail program.

The mails stored in the folders created in the web mail would not be downloaded. You can move all the mails from the folders to the inbox and this would then automatically download them to the e-mail program.

To have all messages, even those which Spamguard identifies as Spam, sent to an e-mail program, perform the following steps to edit the POP access in att.net Webmail.

Please sign in to the AT&T mail using att.yahoo.com/mail

Click Options in the upper-right corner of the page.

If you are using the All New Yahoo! Mail, click More Options in the menu that appears

If using Yahoo! Mail Classic, click Mail Options.

Click POP & Forwarding.

Select the radio button for Allow your att.net Mail to be POPed.

In the When POPing my messages drop-down menu, select include SPAM messages.

Note: For messages that SpamGuard thinks are spam, add [Bulk] as a prefix to the subject can be selected to add that prefix to the subject line of identified spam messages when sent to a client.

Click Save Changes

The following link would have basic configuration information which is important for any e-mail program to be able to send and receive e-mail using an AT&T e-mail address

www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401573

You would need to select the name of the e-mail program

For further assistance, please contact e-Chat support from the web link belo.

AT&T DSL Support

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: How to download web mail folders

[ Edited ]
2 of 2 (3,454 Views)