How to connect Linksys WRT54GS to 2WIRE router.

Contributor

How to connect Linksys WRT54GS to 2WIRE router.

I have had my 2WIRE router for about 3 years and it has worked perfectly. However, I have noticed that the signal isn't very strong after about 60 ft. So I got a cheap Linksys router for about $10. However, I need help setting it up. If I connect an ethernet cable coming from the 2WIRE to the Linksys on the "Internet" Port, I get no Internet and I can't access the 2WIRE configuration settings, only the Linksys settings. But, when I plug in the Ethernet cable to a port labled as "1", I do get Internet and I can use the Wi-Fi. So I was wondering if anyone can help me correctly configure my Linksys Router? Thanks.

Message 1 of 4 (5,941 Views)
Contributor

Re: How to connect Linksys WRT54GS to 2WIRE router.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15835

i have tryed this and it does work very well and i have a wrt54gs v.2 router , sad part about it is , if you are running any type of 2wire style and or type of router , i would throw it in the garbage as fast as u can and thats no joke .....

theres a script thats out in the wild that can run against this router and outright own your 2wire router in a matter of min's ....

Period ...... i also have seen this script work first hand threw a video ,

after seening this  .... well  you know what i did with my 2wire router .... LOL!!!

Message 2 of 4 (5,923 Views)
Contributor

It wouldn't work. I would get "Server not Found"

Message 3 of 4 (5,901 Views)

each router must have a different ip address... and when you say you get a bad signal at 60ft im assuming you're trying to extend your wireless network? if you connect the 2 routers LAN-LAN you must disable DHCP so the first router will assign an ip address to whatever connects to the second one. make sure the wireless channels are at least 5 apart i.e. if you had 3 wireless routers use 1,6 and 11. you can always run them on two different subnets connecting them LAN-WAN, but the devices on router 1 will not be able to communicate with router 2 or vise vera. it's all about personal prefernce.

Here is an example....

2wire router

ip address: 192.168.1.1

subnet mask 255.255.255.0

dhcp: enabled.

wrt54gs

ip address: 192.168.2.1

subnet mask 255.255.255.0

dhcp: disabled

both routers are connected with a straight threw cable LAN-LAN doesn't matter what ports they are 1-4 as long as it's a LAN port not WAN...

Message 4 of 4 (5,767 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.