How to connect Linksys WRT54GS to 2WIRE router.

Contributor

How to connect Linksys WRT54GS to 2WIRE router.

I have had my 2WIRE router for about 3 years and it has worked perfectly. However, I have noticed that the signal isn't very strong after about 60 ft. So I got a cheap Linksys router for about $10. However, I need help setting it up. If I connect an ethernet cable coming from the 2WIRE to the Linksys on the "Internet" Port, I get no Internet and I can't access the 2WIRE configuration settings, only the Linksys settings. But, when I plug in the Ethernet cable to a port labled as "1", I do get Internet and I can use the Wi-Fi. So I was wondering if anyone can help me correctly configure my Linksys Router? Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
Contributor

Re: How to connect Linksys WRT54GS to 2WIRE router.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15835

i have tryed this and it does work very well and i have a wrt54gs v.2 router , sad part about it is , if you are running any type of 2wire style and or type of router , i would throw it in the garbage as fast as u can and thats no joke .....

theres a script thats out in the wild that can run against this router and outright own your 2wire router in a matter of min's ....

Period ...... i also have seen this script work first hand threw a video ,

after seening this  .... well  you know what i did with my 2wire router .... LOL!!!

Message 2 of 4
Contributor

It wouldn't work. I would get "Server not Found"

Message 3 of 4

each router must have a different ip address... and when you say you get a bad signal at 60ft im assuming you're trying to extend your wireless network? if you connect the 2 routers LAN-LAN you must disable DHCP so the first router will assign an ip address to whatever connects to the second one. make sure the wireless channels are at least 5 apart i.e. if you had 3 wireless routers use 1,6 and 11. you can always run them on two different subnets connecting them LAN-WAN, but the devices on router 1 will not be able to communicate with router 2 or vise vera. it's all about personal prefernce.

Here is an example....

2wire router

ip address: 192.168.1.1

subnet mask 255.255.255.0

dhcp: enabled.

wrt54gs

ip address: 192.168.2.1

subnet mask 255.255.255.0

dhcp: disabled

both routers are connected with a straight threw cable LAN-LAN doesn't matter what ports they are 1-4 as long as it's a LAN port not WAN...

Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Did you know the AT&T Community forums has the answers you need to solve most service woes? Check out our How To Forum article. You will learn how to find your answer!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues. We highly recommend chatting with our teams to address this as quickly as possible.

Additional Support