Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Feb 5, 2010
1:20:20 AM
View profile
How do I use my own domain name for email
ATT's DSL help says that I can use my own domain name for my email address instead of the email address associated with the inbox I have for my DSL account: but they do not say how I can do this. currently I have two email accts under my DSL account having the respective addresses: me@sbcglobal.net mywife@sbcglobal.net Currently I own domain name mylastname.com and email for myname@mylastname.com is hosted by another company. I also have an alias for my wife, wifename@mylastname.com which, as an alias, uses the same inbox as myname@mylastname.com. I use a filter to separate incoming mail to these two addresses and relay it to our separate sbcglobal.net inboxes where we pick it up using POP3 access. I'm thinking that since I have the DSL account with ATT, I should be able to avoid the cost of the intermediary mailbox at the other company by simply having email for domain mylastname.com hosted on whichever server hosts our sbcglobal.net inboxes. The email help I spoke of above seems to indicate that this is possible. My ultimate desire is that any email addressed to: myname@mysurname.com would go to me@sbcglobal.net, and any mail addressed to: wifename@mysurname.com would go to mywife@sbcglobal.net The company that currently hosts email for domain mysurname.com allows me to modify DNS records for my domain. So, I know that I can modify the DNS records to send email for my domain anywhere I want. So, where exactly do I send it so that it'll be handled by the same email server that handles our sbcglobal.net email inboxes ... and how do I tell the sbcglobal.net email server to route mail for myname@myusername.com to me@sbcglobal.net, and mail for wifename@mysurname.com to mywife@sbcglobal.net AND ... drumroll .... can I do that without charge from at&t ? (important: mailbox_name(myname) is not equal to mailbox_name(me))
ATT's DSL help says that I can use my own domain name for my email address instead of the email address associated with the inbox I have for my DSL account: but they do not say how I can do this. currently I have two email accts under my DSL account having the respective addresses: me@sbcglobal.net mywife@sbcglobal.net Currently I own domain name mylastname.com and email for myname@mylastname.com is hosted by another company. I also have an alias for my wife, wifename@mylastname.com which, as an alias, uses the same inbox as myname@mylastname.com. I use a filter to separate incoming mail to these two addresses and relay it to our separate sbcglobal.net inboxes where we pick it up using POP3 access. I'm thinking that since I have the DSL account with ATT, I should be able to avoid the cost of the intermediary mailbox at the other company by simply having email for domain mylastname.com hosted on whichever server hosts our sbcglobal.net inboxes. The email help I spoke of above seems to indicate that this is possible. My ultimate desire is that any email addressed to: myname@mysurname.com would go to me@sbcglobal.net, and any mail addressed to: wifename@mysurname.com would go to mywife@sbcglobal.net The company that currently hosts email for domain mysurname.com allows me to modify DNS records for my domain. So, I know that I can modify the DNS records to send email for my domain anywhere I want. So, where exactly do I send it so that it'll be handled by the same email server that handles our sbcglobal.net email inboxes ... and how do I tell the sbcglobal.net email server to route mail for myname@myusername.com to me@sbcglobal.net, and mail for wifename@mysurname.com to mywife@sbcglobal.net AND ... drumroll .... can I do that without charge from at&t ? (important: mailbox_name(myname) is not equal to mailbox_name(me))

How do I use my own domain name for email

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2010 12:27:38 PM
(0)
Employee
Hello dcollins51, In order to get information about hosting the domain name server, it is recommended that you contact the AT&T Web Hosting. For the technical query, that you have about web hosting, please contact the technical support for web hosting, available 24 hours a day. Technical Support 1-888-WEBHOST (option 3) support@att-webhosting.com If you want to place a new order, please contact our sales department: Sales 1-888-WEBHOST (option 1) sales@att-webhosting.com If you have questions regarding your AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet service, it is recommended that you contact the AT&T eChat helpdesk. If you are in ' AR, CA, CT, IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NV, OH, OK, TX, & WI', you may use the link mentioned below to contact AT&;T eChat. https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Hello dcollins51, In order to get information about hosting the domain name server, it is recommended that you contact the AT&T Web Hosting. For the technical query, that you have about web hosting, please contact the technical support for web hosting, available 24 hours a day. Technical Support 1-888-WEBHOST (option 3) support@att-webhosting.com If you want to place a new order, please contact our sales department: Sales 1-888-WEBHOST (option 1) sales@att-webhosting.com If you have questions regarding your AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet service, it is recommended that you contact the AT&T eChat helpdesk. If you are in ' AR, CA, CT, IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NV, OH, OK, TX, & WI', you may use the link mentioned below to contact AT&;T eChat. https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: How do I use my own domain name for email

2 of 2 (1,594 Views)