How To Connect Two Computers To Dial-Up At The Same Time With The Same At&t Dial-Up Member ID

Contributor

How To Connect Two Computers To Dial-Up At The Same Time With The Same At&t Dial-Up Member ID

How Can I Connect Two Computers Using The Same Dial-Up Connection Or Can I even Do That

Message 1 of 7 (811 Views)

Re: How To Connect Two Computers To Dial-Up At The Same Time With The Same At&t Dial-Up Member I

I think you can - i am assuming that they are on the same phone line - I am a novice but the people I talk to say that you can check with your local computer place - I think you will ned a rotor and the networking program to set things up.

Message 2 of 7 (811 Views)

Re: How To Connect Two Computers To Dial-Up At The Same Time With The Same At&t Dial-Up Member I

oh you may wish to check out the other forum - there is a computer guru on that forum that is quite wise!

Message 3 of 7 (811 Views)

in fact they have someone that is chatting about their router.

Message 4 of 7 (811 Views)
Former Moderator

I understand your question and thank you for bringing that up. You would be able to connect two computers using the same dial up connection provided you would be using different phone lines on each computer and they would be using a different username and password for each one. Also you would need to use the dial-up number on the area you're located. If you only have one phone line then you would only able to connect one computer at a time. If you want to connect two computers simultaneously using the same phone line, you would need to upgrade to a DSL high speed and install a router together with the modem or a modem/router combination for you to be able connect two computers.  Should you need further help regarding your post, please feel free to reply on this thread or you may call our Dial-up Technical Support Helpdesk. You may  reach them at (800) 436-8638 IVR opt.1 if you are from these states - KY, TN, NC, SC, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL; and (866) 722-3755 if you are located in CA, NV,  KS, MO, OK, AR, TX, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, CT. They are open 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 5 of 7 (811 Views)
Scholar

Contrary to what "pamelaz" has told you, it is possible to share a dial-up connection. 

See this Microsoft Support article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

You'll find more help by Googling for "Internet Connection Sharing"

Message 6 of 7 (811 Views)
Highlighted

An old method is to use local LAN with a router connected to a modem--if they still make them and they are supported by the operating system.  I had a customer several years ago.  When a station wanted access, it would dial if not connected or all users would share the band width if connected.  

There is also w way in Windows to share an internet connection .  I set it up a couple of Windows version ago. 

The problem with either of these is that you share a 55K max connection--which means S L O W internet--think 24K for 2 users!  Now if both users were surfing the internet by opening a page and then reading it, it might be useful.  But if anyone is uploading or downloading (think Windows or security software updates), you are R E A L L Y   S L O W!

Now if you use different telephone numbers, then each computer has it's own band width.

Message 7 of 7 (811 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.