Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Feb 18, 2012
12:02:50 PM
High Speed Internet Price Increase

I just opened my monthly statement with a billing date of Feb 7, 2012 and I want to say I'm not at all happy with the announcement of the price increase for my AT&T High Speed Internet Express service.  You are increasing rates well above the rate of inflation and consumer price index, while not offering any improvements in the service.  This is not a responsible way to secure the loyalty of your customers in light of the current economic state of our country.  I can assure you, that we are not seeing similar increases in the rates of our pay and benefits.  If anything, they continue to deteriorate, while the price of all consumer goods and services continue to rise.  I may be left with no alternative but to seek a cheaper method of high speed internet access.  I have been an AT&T customer for many years, and would like to continue, but may not have any other choice.  I would like for you to reconsider your price hike, or offer something above what we currently receive for what we pay.

I just opened my monthly statement with a billing date of Feb 7, 2012 and I want to say I'm not at all happy with the announcement of the price increase for my AT&T High Speed Internet Express service.  You are increasing rates well above the rate of inflation and consumer price index, while not offering any improvements in the service.  This is not a responsible way to secure the loyalty of your customers in light of the current economic state of our country.  I can assure you, that we are not seeing similar increases in the rates of our pay and benefits.  If anything, they continue to deteriorate, while the price of all consumer goods and services continue to rise.  I may be left with no alternative but to seek a cheaper method of high speed internet access.  I have been an AT&T customer for many years, and would like to continue, but may not have any other choice.  I would like for you to reconsider your price hike, or offer something above what we currently receive for what we pay.

High Speed Internet Price Increase

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2012 4:55:05 PM
(0)
Master

lccgl479 wrote:

Call the 2020 number during normal business hours. When you get the robo-voice, agree to your phone number, and then just keep saying "none of those", that will get you a human pretty quick. Insist that you want the Retention Department. The Retention Department should be able to give you a promotional discount (6 or 12 months) when you explain that you are considering an alternative provider.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

lccgl479 wrote:

Call the 2020 number during normal business hours. When you get the robo-voice, agree to your phone number, and then just keep saying "none of those", that will get you a human pretty quick. Insist that you want the Retention Department. The Retention Department should be able to give you a promotional discount (6 or 12 months) when you explain that you are considering an alternative provider.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Re: High Speed Internet Price Increase

2 of 7 (10,896 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2012 9:40:31 AM
(0)
Contributor

Same here:- My Dec bill was $30.  Jan was $35.50.  Feb was $40.  No explanation, nothing.  That's ridiculous!  A friend just got a 1-year promo rate of $20.  I will call to protest.  Thanks for the tip, Computer Joe.   

Same here:- My Dec bill was $30.  Jan was $35.50.  Feb was $40.  No explanation, nothing.  That's ridiculous!  A friend just got a 1-year promo rate of $20.  I will call to protest.  Thanks for the tip, Computer Joe.   

3 of 7 (10,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2012 1:07:22 PM
(0)
Contributor
Good luck with the retention department. They told me that they could no longer offer me a promotional rate. AT&T is charging me $43.00 a month for 6 mps service and I normally get around 4.75 mps. Charter our local cable provider charges $45 a month for 15 mps service. That is Charters regular price not a promo price. We cannot get AT&T U-Verse in our area and from what I have been told even though it is available a block away we probably won't get it any time soon.
Good luck with the retention department. They told me that they could no longer offer me a promotional rate. AT&T is charging me $43.00 a month for 6 mps service and I normally get around 4.75 mps. Charter our local cable provider charges $45 a month for 15 mps service. That is Charters regular price not a promo price. We cannot get AT&T U-Verse in our area and from what I have been told even though it is available a block away we probably won't get it any time soon.

4 of 7 (10,643 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2012 9:30:09 PM
(0)
Tutor

Almost identical experience here.  "Promo" expired, and my price for 6M "Elite" service (actually 5.1/0.63M per various speed tests) is going from $16.95 to $43.  Customer retention did offer me a $10 discount if I would commit for another year, but jumping from $16.95 to even $33 probably won't be enough to "retain" me.  I guess new customers who get the $20 rate are more "valued" than long-standing customers - I have been an on-time bill paying AT&T customer since 1993, DSL since 2000.  The cable company is offering more bang for the buck. 

Almost identical experience here.  "Promo" expired, and my price for 6M "Elite" service (actually 5.1/0.63M per various speed tests) is going from $16.95 to $43.  Customer retention did offer me a $10 discount if I would commit for another year, but jumping from $16.95 to even $33 probably won't be enough to "retain" me.  I guess new customers who get the $20 rate are more "valued" than long-standing customers - I have been an on-time bill paying AT&T customer since 1993, DSL since 2000.  The cable company is offering more bang for the buck. 

5 of 7 (10,553 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2012 7:34:51 AM
(0)
Contributor

The monthly price doubled for the same DSL "elite" service.  Spent almost an hour with AT&T: bottom line is a $10/month discount without a contract & cancelation fees.  It appears they have removed the discounts from the hands of the agents/supervisors.  To add insult to injury, I called a month ago and was told that a supervisor would call me back within 24 hours... nothing happened.  My bill had a flyer that offered DSL for $14.95/month but only for new customers!

I'm told that I only need to be a non-customer for 90 days until I can become a "new" customer again.

The monthly price doubled for the same DSL "elite" service.  Spent almost an hour with AT&T: bottom line is a $10/month discount without a contract & cancelation fees.  It appears they have removed the discounts from the hands of the agents/supervisors.  To add insult to injury, I called a month ago and was told that a supervisor would call me back within 24 hours... nothing happened.  My bill had a flyer that offered DSL for $14.95/month but only for new customers!

I'm told that I only need to be a non-customer for 90 days until I can become a "new" customer again.

6 of 7 (10,497 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2012 8:27:24 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by esanker on Mar 12, 2012 at 8:29:15 PM

I just got my bill today.  They are charging me $48 for the DSL Direct Elite.  Previously, I get charged $45 per month.  I didn't even get a notice of the rate increase.  

Man, ATT's customer service is really bad.  Like, I asked them to disconnect my phone but keep my Internet.  They disconnected my phone alright but they upgraded my service from DSL Direct Pro to DSL Direct Elite without my permission.  Then my modem broke,  I called them and I found out I have to pay for a new modem.  I ordered the $75 modem and they shipped me the $100 modem.  Not to mention that they are not available during weekends so when my modem broke on a Sunday, I have to wait the next day to get help.  If I call them I get transferred to so many people and then assure me the problem is fixed but then I find out weeks later the problem is still there.  

So now whenever I have a problem I tend not to call them because I know I'm just gonna be wasting my time,  my BP will go up, and be under stress for days!  

It wasn't like that 2-3 years ago.  Times have really changed.  

I so much want to stop the service because of their bad customer service but the other choice I have is Comcast which is equally bad.  

God, I am thankful I only get Internet from them.  I get my TV and cellphone from somewhere else.  It will be a nightmare if I'm getting all those services from them.

I just got my bill today.  They are charging me $48 for the DSL Direct Elite.  Previously, I get charged $45 per month.  I didn't even get a notice of the rate increase.  

Man, ATT's customer service is really bad.  Like, I asked them to disconnect my phone but keep my Internet.  They disconnected my phone alright but they upgraded my service from DSL Direct Pro to DSL Direct Elite without my permission.  Then my modem broke,  I called them and I found out I have to pay for a new modem.  I ordered the $75 modem and they shipped me the $100 modem.  Not to mention that they are not available during weekends so when my modem broke on a Sunday, I have to wait the next day to get help.  If I call them I get transferred to so many people and then assure me the problem is fixed but then I find out weeks later the problem is still there.  

So now whenever I have a problem I tend not to call them because I know I'm just gonna be wasting my time,  my BP will go up, and be under stress for days!  

It wasn't like that 2-3 years ago.  Times have really changed.  

I so much want to stop the service because of their bad customer service but the other choice I have is Comcast which is equally bad.  

God, I am thankful I only get Internet from them.  I get my TV and cellphone from somewhere else.  It will be a nightmare if I'm getting all those services from them.

[ Edited ]
7 of 7 (10,325 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments