Posted Jul 27, 2010
1:52:30 AM
Has AT&T offered an explanation yet as to what is casuing the constant interruptions?

Well, count me in as another victim of the connectivity interruption crowd.  I have been an AT&T customer for about five years now.  The first four and a half years were fine, good service, and I always upgraded to a higher speed when the chance came up.

Well the last couple of months I have noticed, when I get on the internet, every few minutes, suddenly the internet connection goes down.  Strange thing is, none of the lights on my modem or router indicate there is a problem.  Everything is lit up green like a good connection should be, however the internet stops working for a few minutes, then just magically comes back up.  No rhyme or reason to it.  I have no idea what is causing this.  I thought it might be a browser issue, but I checked, it isn't.  It shouldn't be a hardware issue since all of my hardware and periphrials show everything is working fine. 

There has to be a problem with the internet service itself, especially since this problem seems to be so widespread.  Is AT&T just refusing to admit this or what?

Has AT&T offered an explanation yet as to what is casuing the constant interruptions?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2010 11:47:50 AM
(0)
Mentor

Well, yes they did but they've since edited the post.

It went something like this:

> I do respect your decision. I sincerely do apologize that we were not
> able to live up to your expectations. The only way we can resolve
> this type of issue is if we disconnect some subscribers along your
> line to the AT&T office, or if we set up new lines that will extend
> the coverage. If we go with the latter, you would still be
> experiencing the same problem until the project is finished.

and was in the thread"Dropped-connection-at-same-time-every-night"

<http://www.att.com/t5/Internet/Dropped-connection-at-same-time-every-night/td-p/1853/page/4>

Re: Has AT&T offered an explanation yet as to what is casuing the constant interruptions?

2 of 5 (323 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2010 11:54:19 AM
(0)
AT&T Internet Expert
Hello NoCalMike,

I truly appreciate that you took your valuable time to let us know that you are experiencing intermittent connection issue with your AT&T Internet services and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

If the Internet is working intermittently, it could be intermittent connection problem. Intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:

* Cordless phones and other electronic devices are the most common cause of
intermittent Internet connectivity issues. Cordless phone systems running at 2.4 GHz often run at the same frequency as your DSL modem or home networking router. If you are experiencing intermittent connectivity issues, you may need to replace your cordless phone with one that runs at a different frequency.
    * Large metal objects and electrical equipment such as televisions, home entertainment electronics, and microwaves can also cause interference. Try to keep your DSL modem and wireless home networking router away from these sources of electronic interference.
    * Check with your neighbor. You may both be running wireless networks at the same frequency. The solution may be as easy as changing the channel of your wireless router.
    * Physical obstructions such as walls, floors, home entertainment electronics, appliances and furniture can cause interference if the wireless signals have to pass through them. Move your DSL modem or wireless home networking router to another location so it isn't in the line-of-sight of these potential interference factors. Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
    * Your phone jack may be defective or damaged. Try connecting the modem to a different phone jack, if possible. If the hiss and background noise is gone, the initial phone jack is defective and should be replaced.Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
    * The RJ-11 phone cord that connects your modem to the phone jack may be damaged and need replacing. If your phone cord is over 14 feet long, the signal may be weakened sufficiently that it is intermittently lost.Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:
    * Phone ringing disconnects DSL service If your DSL service is disconnecting when your phone rings, you probably have a phone somewhere in the house/office that doesn't have a DSL filter installed between the phone and the wall jack. Sporadic or intermittent loss of you connection to the Internet is often caused by electronic or physical interference. If your Internet connection is coming and going, you may want to check the following things:

* The inside phone wiring in your home may also cause intermittent loss of the DSL signal. Shorts, grounds, poor line quality, etc. can degrade the DSL signal.
    * Spyware issues will also affect your connection.
    * Firewall may also effect the Internet connection, please try to disable the security software installed in your computer.
Note: Do remmber to enable the firewall back on.

After trying all the steps mentioned above, if the intermittent connection issue persist, please contact the AT&T Technical voice helpdesk at 1-877-722-3755 (open 24/7), they will perform a line test on your AT&T DSL line and if require they will send an engineer to check the status.

Re: Has AT&T offered an explanation yet as to what is casuing the constant interruptions?

3 of 5 (323 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2010 11:55:37 AM
(0)
Mentor

oops. my bad. The "explanation" is still there, half way down the page.

4 of 5 (323 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 8:00:58 PM
(0)
Tutor

Has AT&T realized that the generic response is not the answer.  There seems to be a consistent problem with their internet service dropping and all we get is a generic answer that is not solving it.

5 of 5 (323 Views)