Hacked Email Account

Contributor

Hacked Email Account

Has anyone recently (the past few days) had a problem with their email accounts being hacked? Can't seem to stop emails being sent randomly by from a third party  to all my contacts.

Message 1 of 20 (23,183 Views)
Mentor

Re: Hacked Email Account

conchfever wrote:

Has anyone recently (the past few days) had a problem with their email accounts being hacked? Can't seem to stop emails being sent randomly by from a third party  to all my contacts.

I may be that your account is not hacked.  It could be you have a virus on your computer that is doing it.

Message 2 of 20 (23,148 Views)
Contributor

My @att.net email got hacked yesterday.  now I am flooded with emails from friends "what is this?"

Its a yahoo based mail and get this like gmail or hotmail.  change your password but likely wont fix it.  There is no fix, if it continues, I am changing emails.

Why cant we hack hacks?  As soon as they are detected, ping trace them back and melt down their processor?

Message 3 of 20 (23,076 Views)
Contributor

My contacts are telling me they are receiving mail from my @pacbell.net account which I haven't used in years!  Does anyone know where I can even try to log in to check mail there?  I tried Yahoo and AT&T sites and it didn't work and AT&T customer service is closed.  Thanks for your help!

Message 4 of 20 (22,979 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]
Hi 1toni2691,

We understand your concern and realize the inconvenience you are experiencing.

From the information which you have provided, it seems your e-mail account has been compromised. It is called E-mail spoofing. E-mail spoofing is the forgery of an e-mail header so that the message appears to have originated from someone or somewhere other than the actual source.

Email spoofing may occur in different forms, but all have a similar result: a user receives email that appears to have originated from one source when it actually was sent from another source. E-mail spoofing is a technique commonly used for spam e-mail and phishing to hide the origin of an e-mail message.

You would need to follow a few steps to fix the issue and ensure that your AT&T account is secure. Although protecting yourself does take some effort, remember that there are a lot of resources and tools to help you.

1. Change the account password of your AT&T account.

The following link will have the information on how to change the password of your AT&T account.

2. Check for sub accounts that you are not aware of.

Please note - Follow the steps given in this section only if the issue is with your primary AT&T e-mail address. If not, skip to step 3

To check for the list of sub accounts, please sign in to your AT&T account using the web link http://att.com/internetaccount.

In the Account ID field, enter your full primary AT&T email address. Enter your current password in the Password field, and select Log In.

Please locate "Members" section (bottom of the screen). It would have the list of e-mail addresses of the sub accounts. Please check if there are any sub accounts which were NOT created by you.

If yes, please suspend them. After 90 days, the suspended sub account will be automatically deleted.

Please refer to the link on how to Suspend the sub account -

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401725

3. Update the Account Security Question and Answer (Q&A)

At AT&T, we take your account security seriously. Each of your High Speed Internet member IDs/email addresses has a few security questions that only you should know the answer to. We'll use this information for validation when you contact us to make changes to your account, and it's important to prevent unauthorized individuals from making changes.

Just like you periodically update your account passwords, it's also important to keep your security information up-to-date.To update your account security questions and answers, please refer to the following link 

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401388

4. Report the issue to AT&T

Please report this issue to our AT&T Security Services Center as they have the appropriate tools and expertise to investigate this issue. You may contact them by completing the following form at: http://support.att.com/emailus You may also contact them at: abuse@sbcglobal.net

5. Top 10 steps to help stop cybercrime

You've probably heard the adage 'information is power', and that is certainly true when it comes to cybercrime. But the right information can also empower you to protect yourself from being caught up in the thriving industry that is cybercrime.

The following link gives us addional information on how to be aware of the various threats that are posed when you surf online and the precautions you would need to take to make your account safe and secure.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401877

For further assistance and if you are located in the one of the following states AR, CA, CT, IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NV, OH, OK, TX, & WI, please contact chat support from the web link provided below

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 20 (22,967 Views)
Contributor

I also have had my email hacked at AT&T and all my contacts were removed from At&T and sent emails requesting money. I have talked to AT&T about 5 times trying to get my account strainghtened out. I have been told that this happens regularly. I will not keep any emails contacts at AT&T again.

Message 6 of 20 (22,904 Views)
Contributor

I forgot to meantion that they were wanting folks to reply to a yahoo. com account with my name on it. I just checked and the yahoo.com is back on my profile page. I'm not sure if it has to be there or not? The tecks at AT&T didn't seem to be sure either.

Message 7 of 20 (22,903 Views)
Contributor

Yes, and it's really embarrassing. It has to be coming from the att/yahoo servers because I don't download my emails to my laptop anymore. Anyone have any ideas how to stop it? Everyday there are more replies from people I love and respect wondering why I'm sending this trash to them!

Message 8 of 20 (22,655 Views)
Contributor

I like that idea. It would be nice to make it stop.

Message 9 of 20 (22,654 Views)
Contributor

Lucrecia

thank you for the suggestions. However, I couldn't find a place to report "spoofing" on the abuse page  http://www.att.com/esupport/contactEmail.jsp

I know you didn't choose the name, but "spoofing" is really wrong because it is not funny.

Message 10 of 20 (22,651 Views)
Employee

Thank you for responding to the post. We welcome your feedback and suggestion. We understand how important this is for you.

Please report any email or web sites that you suspect is not legitimate. When reporting email issues, it is vital to include complete header information, along with the message contents and unaltered subject line. If you are using an e-mail program, please  visit http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB400130.

To report a message that claims to be from AT&T, or from the AT&T Network, and you are not certain of its authenticity, please forward the phishing email to abuse@att.net

If you have any doubt of a message's authenticity, you can also forward the email to scam@abuse-att.net . More tips on how to identify and avoid phishing scams can be found at www.att.com/safety. Simply type the URL in your navigation bar.

In case of further assistance, please feel free to contact AT&T technical support at 1-877-722-3755, open 24/7.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 11 of 20 (16,717 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

I too had my email hacked at about that time (mid-february).  I've disabled it from sending, changed the password, ...  Someone is definitely using my email and spoofing to all my contacts.  I've forwarded some of the emails to abuse@att.net but nothing.  I no longer can use that email t send as everyone I know has had to block it.  I still check it for receipts, most of which are SPAM.

Message 12 of 20 (16,596 Views)
Contributor

Most of the hacked emails I have received are NOT spoofs but the account has been compromised. I have had those that I have conversed back and forth in real time as they are trying to get me to wire money.  A hacker can spoof the header only so far but it is simple to tell the true sender and so far most of what I have received are security breaches.  If your email is being hacked the first thing you need to do is check the sent mail folder.  Has it been deleted? If not is there a history of the emails sent?  Both of these are a clear signs that you have been hacked or not.  Next check the "vacation" responder.  Once your account has been hacked they will sometimes set up a auto responder. 

I don't know how these accounts are being hacked but I do know of one hack that was a security breach by the service providor.  My husband had a web email that he thought he had closed 4 years ago. His brother emailed him that he has been getting spam form that account.  He logged in for the first time in over four years and the "sent" folder was filled with emails that he had not sent. 

So tell me how it is that a webmail account that had not been logged into in over four years from a user with a iMac could have been breached? There is only two possibilities,  security breech at service provider or a password hacker program. Either way It was a security breech by the webmail provider.

I suspect the same is true with Yahoo web mail. If these were only "spoofs" then explain WHY it is only web mail accounts.  If they were only "spoofs" then those who don't use web mail would also be effected. I read on CNet that hackers can hack up to 12 digit passwords. Why isn't the web mail companies  are not doing more to pervert these password programs being used?

Answer me these two questions.

1. Why has it only primarily been Yahoo accounts?  

2. Why is it only webmail accounts?

Message 13 of 20 (16,552 Views)

WARNING: What ever you do, should you change providers for any reason, DELETE your Yahoo account BEFORE changing providers! I did that and my account was hacked and neither at&t nor yahoo will help me delete my account AND the hacker is continuing to send email to everyone I know as well as strangers!! AT&T SUCKS and SO DOES YAHOO!!!!!!!

Message 14 of 20 (16,546 Views)
Contributor

Aside from hacking the email sub-account, the hackers viciously deleted all email contents and contacts.

I called immediately At&T and later Yahoo to see if they could restore the emails from their servers, and AT&T Tier 2 team said that Yahoo Tier 2 team said it was not possible.

This sub-account was used by my 82 years old father in law on his MAC, via SAFARI. Now he lost few years of email valuable content, and all his contacts.

The irony, Yahoo offers a service to restore email contents on the help site, and today I got a message from YAHOO that the only way to activate the process is via AT&T.

Painful..Very painful

Message 15 of 20 (16,385 Views)